Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2012, 18:11   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Or he could just burn $500 worth of diesel, tops, and get up there without going to freaking Hawaii.
Absolutely! Maybe only $400 on the Morgan.

If you can get a good weather window on Pt. Conception, it's not a bad hop up to Morro Bay. Then, cheat out of Morro Bay to San Simeon, and anchor there until the wind dies around 2200h. At that point, motor up to Monterey, which your boat could make by early afternoon the next day. From there, if you don't want a long day to SF, an easier hop is to Half Moon Bay, where you can either anchor or get a slip.

The longest slog is from Morro Bay to Monterey. Not many spots you can pull in between them, especially if it's nasty. That's why I like to make that run at night once the wind shuts down.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Did that trip a few months ago and was lucky enough to get a southerly most of the way to SF. Here is a good book on the "tricks" of getting to SF with the least amount of damage. Amazon.com: The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada, Mexico, Including the Offshore Islands (0639785801825): Brian Fagan: Books As I remember September and October can have some good weather windows for sailing up the coast.
I ordered the book today. Should be here next week. Thanks
roril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 18:59   #18

Wow! Thanks to all for the great responses . Lots of food for thought.

I ordered the book mentioned and it will be here next week.

The Hawaii trip would be a gas for sure. My uncle would go that way, He sailed boats to and from Hawaii for years. He passed a few years back.
The Cojo departure will be more in line for us and motoring up the coast with some good luck I hope. No real time frame to get going, just waiting on a good window.

I will let you all know when we go for it and try to post as we travel north. I plan on having a tracking program running so my kids can watch us on the computer.

I will be reading and rereading your posts for sure.

Thanks again
roril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 19:09   #19

Re: Santa Barbara to San Francisco

Lucia in Big Sur 36.176895 121.695338 is a deep water anchorage. You can hug the rock wall to duck out of wind and swell from NW. No surge, no reflection of swell. It's about 60 nm up from Morro Bay. Likely you'll be the only one there but there may be a commercial fish boat from time to time. There is room enough for several boats. Actually, if you're going by the inside I think Lucia itself is a perfect place to set the hook.

Bonus: there are, or were, steps leading up the wall to the store/gas station at the top. I used to deliver pastries there so I know how good it is. That plus one of the best cuppa coffee ever.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:19   #20

Re: Santa Barbara to San Francisco

Richard5, Where is Lucia compared to Pfiefer(sp?) Cove? I dont have a chart available right now, but I dont ever remember seeing that name. I have done the trip about a dozen times and have stopped in Pfiefer several times for a good nights sleep. I met the owner of the house overlooking the cove and he said that in a big Northwesterly he would see half of the Monterey fishing fleet anchored in the cove. It is one of my favorite unknown anchorages._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco