Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 09:19   #1

Boat: Sabre MK I 34
Sanding/Painting Mast

I currently have my 1979 Sabre 34 (53foot mast) the hard in Cape Cod and the mast has been down for the previous year (before I purchased it in the fall) and am thinking that I should take this time to take advantage of it being down (currently on top of boat)

1 - Wondering for advice re sanding and type of paint??

2 - I am planning on going through wiring to top and greasing anything that moves as well.

3 - How dumb would I be to splash and motor it to a location and step it myself with the help of friends? (obviously money is an issue and I have never stepped a mast, clearly I have read fatty goodlander's book) It is a keel stepped mast. I have experience rigging smaller boats.

Thanks!
Bwdavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:57   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sanding/Painting Mast

You do not want to mess with stepping a 53' mast "with friends", unless they have a crane and insurance. How much would it cost to fix the deck and cabin trunk f it happened to lever out of plumb on the way down through the partners?

Painting it is a big job. All fittings need removing or excellent masking. Bare patches have to be sanded down, pre-treated (follow the directions!), and then primed, sanded, and painted with the finish coat(s). Old paint should just need sanding prior to the finish coat. Using 2-part poly will avoid having to re-paint too soon.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10   #3

Good time to do it. How bad is it? If it's bubbled a lot on the lower several feet, I would consider just leaving the mast bare aluminum after sanding on the lower 8 feet or so. I have pro mast paint jobs that lasted only 1 year of blue water cruising. I really wonder personally if all the acid etch, Chromium etc primer really is worth it.
Yeah, dont try to step it yourself. A random orbital sander works well with plenty of discs. If you dont have corrosion bubbling issues maybe just sand it lightly and repaint over the base that's there. Use good 2 part paint. Don't brush it with oil based paint or something like Brightsides. Even rattle can Krylon would be better than that.
Automotive paints are good. But not cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:56   #4

Boat: Sabre MK I 34

Yeah I do know a guy with a crane on the dock (sorry forgot to mention) and the dock (depending on tide) sits about 20+/- feet above the boat. Still a tad risky so I'll have to price it out with them and see.

As for the paint no not to bubbled just feel like I should touch it up while its down. You know try and take advantage of tasks that are difficult/impossible while floating. Yes I have an orbital sander and will look into the paints you mentioned as I know I'm capable of that.

Thanks for the input.
Bwdavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 13:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Painting a mast is a major project. Anywhere the paint is failing, bubbling, gone needs to be sanded to bare metal and feathered into surrounding paint. ASAP after doing that follow the paint mfg's instructions to the letter. Aluminum oxidizes Real quick exposed to the environment. It is that surface oxide that paint won't stick to. You want to begin the mfg's surface prep as soon after sanding as you can.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 14:41   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Hopefully, someone who has done this will chime in, especially if they have pics.
This is a major project, stripping the mast entirely, addressing the inevitable corrosion, priming and spraying. Stainless fasteners in alu always leave a mark and may need some major repair. insulate all reinstalled devices.
And I would pull all the wire and replace, inspect halyards, check/service sheaves, replace lighting/ bulbs, etc.
But you are right. Fix now and don't worry for the foreseeable future. Big job though.
I would awlgrip it myself.
Good luck!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, paint, sanding