Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 17:40   #1

San Juan 7.7 Owners (and non-owners), what do you think?

Hi,
I'm on the look out for my first sailboat. I'll be sailing exclusively around the San Juan Islands with my son (12). I saw this listing pop up. It doesn't have a trailer (would probably need a trailer tongue...) as I plan to pull it out each winter but looks like a decent boat for cruising although has good reputation for performance.

If you are an owner or know about this design, can you please tell me your experience and opinions about it?

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/b...116419131.html
kissmekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:21   #2

Re: San Juan 7.7 Owners (and non-owners), what do you think?

Ooo, Kate! This might be it!

Note that there are no pics that show any aspect of the interior cabintop very clearly so when you view, ensure you look up and underneath the mast-step (I think it's deck-stepped?) for leaking. Also remember to bring your tapping tool. What are those screwed-in pieces of wood (handholds?) Were they bedded properly?

Also all pics are in-water so you can't get any sense of hull/keel condition (which based on the pics you got, does look good), but if you go see and she's out-of-the-water, again ensure you scruitinize hull/keel/keel bolts and thru-hulls, both interior and exterior (although, based on type of head and engine - she may not have a single thru-hull).

Finally, ask questions about/have a careful look at standing rigging, chainplates and age of mast - but she's such a bargain, if you can expect a few more seasons' use and there's nothing catastrophic, you'll probably be good to go.

I'm psyched!

Fingers crossed for you!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:27   #3

(She really DOES look to be in excellent shape.)

Go see her this weekend (if you're not flying) and let us know!!!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:36   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Hi Kate. I owned a 1980 7.7 for 5 years. They are very easy boats to sail, quite stable and safe. I would get one again if I was downsizing.
The v berth is small, we could both sleep in it but it was tight. I'm 5'7 and my wife is 5'0. But the setee pulls out to cover the entire main cabin as a bed.
The problem areas are:
outboard is awkward to get at, split backstage is right above it.
Make sure it has the keel shoe. It was originally made a little under ballasted, so the fix was a 300 lb lead addition to the bottom of the keel. It makes all the difference
The alcohol stove is old and ours didn't work well. I pulled it and put in a camp stove(propane)
The chain plates go thru the top deck, and fasten inside. It is strong, but a common leakpoint so seal the top deck well.
The good:
Great lightwind boat. We would still be sailing well when others around us would start motoring.
Great heavy wind boat. It's well balanced so as long as you reef, especially that 135 Genoa, it will perform well. I sailed in 25 knots with no sail up. Wind on the hull, still beam reaching at 4.5 knots boat speed.
When heeled, it likes around 20 degrees. If you push it really hard, it will go to 45 degrees, (slowing down lots) then round up. So it corrects you when you do something stupid[emoji106]
It is very beamy for its size, which gives extra room topside and inside. The cockpit is huge. As well as storage in cockpit, and under it.
Very responsive tiller. I had full steerage down to .3 of a knot. Made docking easy.
In terms of the trailer. You would also need a tongue extension, probably 10-12 feet.(4.5' foot draft) to push it deep enough down the ramp. If you are leaving it in dry storage at a marina, I would recomend just using the lift and putting it on blocks.
If you get it and need a trailer, I can send pics of the one I had. So you have an idea of what to look for.
From the pics, outboard is a great size, we had a 5 hp and it almost got us to hull speed. So a 9.8 will take care of you. It looks taken care of, but doesn't show any outside pics. Previous advice from little wing is good. Check it out carefully. Keelbolts are easy to check, under the sole main cabin.
The price looks fantastic. I sold mine last summer for 10,000.
If you have any questions, send me a PM.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:30   #5

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmekate View Post
Hi,
I'm on the look out for my first sailboat. I'll be sailing exclusively around the San Juan Islands with my son (12). I saw this listing pop up. It doesn't have a trailer (would probably need a trailer tongue...) as I plan to pull it out each winter but looks like a decent boat for cruising although has good reputation for performance.

If you are an owner or know about this design, can you please tell me your experience and opinions about it?

Good sailing boat, solid build, perfect for the type of use you describe; at that price; Grab It!
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 303

Kate,

It looks like a great boat to enjoy with your son. I am not sure of your experience but if you are not experienced with boats I would take someone
with you that is knowledgeable. The price gives you some room to fix anything that you need to address right away. Good luck and let us know what happens.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:55   #7

The SJ's were pretty good boats. I raced many of their boats and owned 1. Trailering is a huge thing requiring a tow truck etc. So not sure what the answer is for that. If you are able to trailer, just have it lifted in and out then you dont need as exspensive a 4wd tow rig to deal with ramps. But still need a big rig.
Figure this trailering thing or moorage out before you buy.

One thing to check on all these SJ boats is if the bolted on toe rail is leaking. Even back when they were in business that happened often. It's a nightmare to fix. Look for black mold on the walls under the toe rail if it's not been raining.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 23:51   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmekate View Post
Hi,

I do know they have been sailed to Bora Bora, fell apart there as well.
Not traditionally a blue water boat but sailors luck and skills vary.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 00:25   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Make sure it has the keel shoe.
A '78? I doubt it from viewing the video link. You can't buy a shoe anymore, former supplier is unknown, you'll have to have one made from scratch.

Quote:
The SJ's were pretty good boats.
Eeeeh....built to a price point, as fast as possible. Grab keel when hanging in slings and heave on it. Betcha' it wiggles.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...juan-77-keels/
Drinky Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:39   #10

The OP is not looking to round the world in one. They are just looking to go sailing. If they can bash out the Straight of Juan De Fuca in the Swiftsure race for decades they should be fine. It a production boat like a Catalina, Ranger and many others at the time etc.

Old 02-05-2020, 13:34   #11

They are 40 year old boats that were underbuilt, unlike the Catalinas and Rangers.
I once owned a SJ24, have seen many in the yard and comiserated with their owners. 7 of the SJ24's up here had an exterior sock layed up "all around the keel sump to hull fairbody perimeter" and they were all no more than 2-3 yrs out of the molds at the time of repair.
Also been researching the 7.7 and almost bought a '79 up here out of Cow Bay that looked good but decided to wait for a later year (there's one in Juneau) not needing the keel mod. Which isn't really necessary unless you plan on racing seriously.
The one thing about that boat the OP is looking at (I bookmarked the ad within hours of its posting ...lol) is that it's about the right asking price for what it is and its vintage.
Too many ask way too much for those things.
Old 02-05-2020, 13:40   #12

Raced 21's, 24's, 28's and 30's ....Never an issue. I've never even heard of the keel issue. Doesn't mean there wasn't some though. What time period? During the gas crisis?, many builders tried to build them thin for a couple years then. Do some production boats have problems? Sure, "Catalina Smile" for instance.

Old 02-05-2020, 13:49   #13

Up here we know that as the C&C smile.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:03   #14

Ad deleted wonder if op got it?
Old 05-05-2020, 13:41   #15

Thank you to those who've shared your opinions and advice to help me.

This particular SJ7.7 didn't have the keel shoe added. I was prepared to replace the standing rigging and hook up the sink but not having the added 300# of ballast which apparently makes a big difference in sail performance and stability, I decided to pass on this one. But the 7.7 sounds like a great boat if I see another one for sale. I wonder why more weren't made/sold during that time.
kissmekate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san juan