Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35   #31

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
Weight of cement boat

Your boat is a ketch, Samson, and approx 35.5' (10.8 m). The book written by Samson "How to Build a Ferro Cement Boat" and also "Ferro Cement" shows the plans of samson boats. The plans say its 19,600 lbs (just under 10 Tons), the only boat close to 35-36' is the C-Shell. The next size up is the C-Bird at 37'. make sure your measurment is LOD only and anything hanging over bow is extra. I have a Samson C-Shell .
46' C Breeze - 20 T
40' CSmoke - 12 T
39' C Farer - 13.4 T
37' C Bird - 10.1 T
36' C Shell - 9.8 T
34' C Spray - 8.9 T
32' C Mist - 9.3 T
30' C Imp - 4.9 T

Hope this helps, dump your fresh wate tanks. Some lifts have scales built in. watch the scale as their lifting it.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 23:43   #32

Hi Boracay and Borealis, thanks for the replies. I dont think she is a C Mist as all the photos of C mists I have seen look nothing like her. She has a Clipper bow as I should have mentioned so much different look. I think the yard manager was trying to find an excuse not to have a ferro in his yard and it is a club yard and therefore much cheaper on hard stand fees than the commercial yard across the bay. The commercial yard also want a AU$2000.00 security deposit before hauling a ferro hull. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and go that way if the club wont relent with the figures you gave me. As I mentioned before, she is a project and the masts and rigging are all off at the moment and all tanks are empty so that should reduce the weight considerably.
Thanks again.
Cy.
cyaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 03:20   #33

Boat: samson c shell 10.8mtrs Moorea
hi
i am new to this forum i am 3/4 through refitting a cshell 36. Built in America in 1972 in Oregon. I bought this vessel in Australia as a sloop but was origionly ketch it has covered many miles starting from the west coast of usa to hawaii back to the west coast then down to costa rica in south america across to the galapagos islands then to american samoa then down to adelaide in aust for its conversion into a sloop rig finally ending up on the clarence river were i bought it as the windows leaked it developed dry rot in the cabin needing replacement and refit heading to Cooktown in the winter of 2011. Hope all goes well.
Moorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 04:22   #34

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Hi Cyaght, I have a C-mist, and some plans, have out of water pics,
Emmo
Old 19-06-2010, 23:18   #35

Hi Emmo,
thanks for the reply. Since I posted the original message, I have found out a lot more about what I have. turns out to be a Samson C-quence, clipper bow centre cockpit etc. I got onto the Hartley site as they own the rights to Samson plans and ordered the study plans and it is exact. Interestingly, I ordered the full plans and explained my situation and they do a discounted price to people who already own their designs. I haven't seen them yet as I have been away working but should be there when I return home. I would love to see pics of your hull out of water to see how the hull profiles match up.
Regards, Cy.
cyaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:20   #36

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
C- Quence...hm, interesting (like sequin). I love there creative names. Was c-quence a later design? I will have to look it up cause its no listed in any of my books. Gotta say your clipper bow through me off.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 23:05   #37

hey guys, im also new to this forum...i must say straight up big thanks for all the general Samson design info, i wish i had this info many many moons ago

and yes i own a Samson C-Baron 55 ketch rig, but havnt found a great deal of info on this particular design...i have some basic numbers and plans, allthough my boat is not layed out to said design...something im learning is common practice with building these boats. the hull was built professionally in South Africa (stainless steel main mesh) with "homebuilt" cabin, decks and fitout
to cut a long story short i have owned my Samson for over 10 years, and its a work in progress(not finished for many reasons,, health, finance, family etc etc) and yes like most advice here, its pretty costly to look after...and i have the added advantage of being a carpenter, so im lucky to save big dollars on maintenance

yes this all sounds not good news...but i do love this boat, and yes its big, but im happy with it...i have raced boats for over 30 years so this size boat doesnt scare me...quite the opposite, i bought it because of the size...from my point of few something 10-15 foot shorter is half the size below decks
anyway thanks again for all the info here hope to be back soon
hoping anyone has any more info or questions
will post pics in next few days
cheers
garda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:06   #38

Re: Samson C-Shell 36

Yes, I have a C Shell 36, and it's original plans.. EMail me....
t o m o a n 7 4 @ y a h o o . c o m
tomoan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 02:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
hi mjt,I brought the c-shell that was at mooloolaba.I have more experiance with ferro boats than most and I am happy with the hull and its build history.
I hate the exterior paint colours (comes out of water this weekend for new paint job and antifoul) and the interior is a shocker.
There should be a law that says if you have not done at least 1 years boat building experiance you should not be a loud to complete the insides of any boat.
I sailed it down to sydney at xmas and 28 may i depart for new caledonia so am very happy with purchase.
the plans I found on board (c-bird) shows a ketch rig and it is 36 ft on deck but my boat I am assured by owner builder is a c-shell ( he spelt it sea shell) and mine is 37.6 ft on deck .
you say your c-shell is 36 ft on deck-is mine streched or yours shortened or do you have a c-bird.
The c-shell you bought Bruce ,could it be the Alcina that I have just purchased also from Mooloolaba.
Regards Tony
TonyQld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:07   #40

Hi All,

I have a Samson C'Shell 36ft Ferro. I purchased it in UK in 2006 and have spent the last 7 years completely renovating it. New masts + rigging , new engine, new gearbox, new wood interior, new tanks, new plumbing, new electrics.. I also have the original plans all scanned as a A1 .pdf So if you want to see it, or see the plans please Email me "tomoan74 at yahoo dot com"

Yes I have a C'Shell 36ft here in UK.
I have full scanned plans as .pdf..

See photo's here.. http://gingercakesoftware.com/images/CShell/Ferro1.jpg
Also Ferro2.jpg, Herro3.jpg, & Ferro4.jpg

tomoan74 @ yahoo . com
Old 20-05-2014, 03:12   #41

My Ferro Cement Samson C'Shell is finally in the water!

Old 15-09-2014, 23:22   #42

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Congratulations! Looks very nice, and rewarding.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:06   #43

I am looking at a C-Bird 36 to purchase. Before I purchase this boat I looked into getting insurance, as I plan to sail around the Pacific. So far I have had no luck at all. The hull numbers don't come up on insurance companies computers and most of them will not touch a ferrocement hull.
Anyone have a suggestion?
portlist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 21:23   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlist View Post
I am looking at a C-Bird 36 to purchase. Before I purchase this boat I looked into getting insurance, as I plan to sail around the Pacific. So far I have had no luck at all. The hull numbers don't come up on insurance companies computers and most of them will not touch a ferrocement hull.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Seriously, with out dissing the boat, you need to get away from ferrocement. There are just too many issues. Go with the standard, fiberglass. Many of the problems will disappear, or at least you will be able to mitigate them.

Otherwise, see if you can get liability only insurance. In most cases, that is all marinas will want anyways.
Old 08-10-2015, 22:19   #45

Thanks for reiterating what the insurance agents have been telling me for weeks. Perhaps I can be more clear in my question: Does anyone know who will insure a ferrocement boat?
portlist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
samson