Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2009, 12:32   #76

Boat: Tartan 34C
Danny boy

The current forecast keeps Danny pretty far from Charleston, though we all know how things change. Here's a good link to copy and paste:

Tropical Storm DANNY

I'm still on "go".

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 15:03   #77

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
They're all over the place.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
There is a Morgan 41 on the hardstand at Lippincott Marina in Grasonville MD, The agent there is Ken Church. I know he is a good guy because he sold me my boat. The Morgan's asking price two years ago was $35k. It may be less now.
That nice 41 Marine Trading Ketch is still in Clearwater Beach, FL for $35k. I even have copy of the last survey!

VERY nice!
1979 Marine Trading Offshore Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

And if you don't mind a little further North to NY...for 30k(and I'll bet they take less!)
1977 Formosa 41' Formosa Ketch sailboat for sale in New York

Man, there's lots to be had out there. Bristols(my favs) out the wazzoo for cheap! Heck only paid 5700 for my 34'!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 16:06   #78

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Hey Feral, here's on from CSY..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-5k-20689.html
Old 29-08-2009, 14:45   #79

Trouble on the River

OK, my borrowed buddy boat had 4 flat tires on the way here, and by the time Mark and I found another one to borrow/rent, we didn't have much time. Also, the gas cylinders I brought only pump up about 2 bags each - we got 4 inflated, about 1/4 of what I want.

If anyone in the Charleston area has a small gas powered compressor (construction nail gun type), please post here ASAP. Cylinders of compressed air (Divers tank? Paint ball tanks?) would work also, if it can be hooked to a regular air line (like a nail gun) or has a barbed outlet to clamp a hose to. This is do-able but I'm gonna need some back-up while I'm out of my home territory.

Thanks,

John
Old 29-08-2009, 14:50   #80

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
John,

Sure wish I was in the area to help, but my thoughts are with you and this post at least gives your request a bump back up to the top.

Good luck!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 21:49   #81

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
TTT

How did this work out today? Doesn't sound too good from today's posts.

Any progress at all or lessons learned for the next attempt?

Any photos of today's events?

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 07:14   #82

Still down

It was a tough luck weekend. We learned a little about how to get the bags in the cabin and the best way to inflate them, but she's still on her side. The late start was a moot point since we ran out of compressed gas. All ideas about a secong attepmpt today (Sunday) were scrubbed because success (floating and pumped) would not leave enough time to do anything with her before we returned the skiff to it's owner.

If I take another stab at this project, it will be with a lot more gas/air on hand, a boat that I can use 'til I'm done, and more favorable (lower) tides. There's not much dead time at low tide and she was 50%+ under on Saturday.

No photos - two guys with their hands busy and mostly under water.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:05   #83

Any help in Charleston?

I'm planning to take another stab at raising Distant Star this Saturday, but I am in the familiar situation of having no work boat to reach her for any sort of rescue work. Does anyone have or have access to a small boat we can use to try and get this hulk out of the creek? The tides are right with Saturday low at 9:44 a.m.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-09-2009, 16:26   #84

Boat: Columbia 41
Why are you wasting your time on this? There are lots of good boats on dry land that are abandoned and/or damaged. Yet you want to raise the dead. You should set your personal will aside, step back and put your energy and money into a more reasonable project. Google marinas on Galveston Bay or elsewhere around the Gulf of Mexico. You will find your big boat at a reasonable price. And if you cannot afford a reasonable price you will not be able to maintain a big boat, much less repair it.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04   #85

Im out

I can't help. Sorry man I work weekends. My dingy is rolled up with the floor out and being inflatable isn't what you need anyway. Wish I could help. I'm working my EMS job this weekend so I hope you guys are safe and we don't have to meet in a professional manner.
sailcharleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18   #86

You're not feelin' me here, bro

Sam --

At this point, it's not about raising the dead, which is an apt description of DS. Now it's about getting a profound hazard out of the Stono River and possibly getting the reward of some "free" parts to use, trade, or sell to improve my next boat, presumably still on top of the water. That's what's "in it for me".

I didn't cause the boat to sink or drag anchor, I didn't advise Mark rightly or wrongly on how to moor his boat, and I am not responsible for anyone who might be decapitated or wrecked by running into his boat. At the same time, I think it is widely recognized that Mark does not have the resources to raise this boat, and while everyone complains loudly and eloquently about who ought to do what, and how irresponsible boat owners should be fined, imprisoned, or tortured, I'm trying my level best to do the right thing for a whole list of people that I STILL owe nothing to, not even the time of day.

Don't misunderstand me - I don't want to receive a medal at some wanker ceremony for winning the good fight. I want to get a few useable parts for my effort, solve a legal problem for the current owner, close the DNR file on one abandoned boat, and maybe feel good about myself for having done the right thing for the common good in spite of the naysayers. I'm about to throw in the towel, NOT because I don't think this is doable or worthwhile, but because I can't get anyone in Charleston to bring a boat to make the salvage effort possible.

Think of it this way: I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you are trapped in a burning building and the only guy who WOULD help you gets more static than help when he asks for a ladder. It's too late to talk about sprinklers, fire escapes, insurance, or who set the blaze - do you want someone to DO something or should we just walk away cause it's a waste of time?

John
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23   #87

Safety first

SailCh --

I hear ya. Sorry you have to work, regardless of the impact on my river plans. Hopefully, everyone will be on their best behavior and it will be a dull weekend for you. Take care.

John
Old 10-09-2009, 11:29   #88

Here ya go...

finish off someone else's 40' cat for $12k US.

1986 Cruising Catamaran 40'
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 16:36   #89

Boat: Columbia 41
That's easy. Yes, we just walk away cause it's a waste of time. We, your friends that is, should not invest time in your foolish cause. What is the cost / bennifit ratio in this venture? You get salvaged parts that have little more than scrap metal value. Your friends get....Good charma and a case of rope burn? This is like the old question of ferro cement or no ferro cement. It's just too much to listen to. I'm outta here.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:49   #90

Sam Plan B...
It's about clearing a safety hazard and hazard to navigation at this point and helping the previous owner avoid fines. So what he gets a little salvage. The DS has got to go before someone gets killed. I'm sure he can do it without people with the kind of 'tude your exhibiting. He's pretty much doing it on his own anyway!

So much for the sense of "community", eh?

Feral:
Wish I was closer to you, I'd help in a New York second. I also have the 2" pumps, compressor, and a few semi truck innertubes as well an old 16' glastron w/ merc 110.