Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 44 DS
sailing Turks and Caicos to Puerto Rico

Hello all! I am looking to sail from Turks and Caicos to Puerto Rico. It's going to happen sometime this spring when I get back to my sailboat, which is in TCI now.

Hoping to get some responses from other sailors who would like to join with their boat as well on this passage.
Safety in numbers and all that

Timing for me is flexible, but obviously would most likely be dependent on the wind changes

I have a 2014 Jeanneau 44 DS

Hope to hear from those who want to join, or if anyone has any recommendations on other websites that I could check out for this sort of thing
johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 19:14   #2

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: sailing Turks and Caicos to Puerto Rico

I'm pretty sure you will wait a long time for wind changes. Straight shot is a struggle. Get a book by Bruce Van Sant. Very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu...5172237&sr=8-1
I followed it back in 2006. Basically drop anchor at Big Sand Cay and wait for the front, if one comes ride it to Luperon. You will most likely motorsail most of the way, but at least you wont be beating into strong trades.

Then coast/motorsail during the night along north shore of DR. You wont make much progress sailing into trades during the day. You can wait at Sosua or rio San Juan for night lee to set in. The book was on the money about the trades. Hispaniola is tall and large. At nights it provides emanating land affect wind that kills the trades.

As you get to Mona, you better get well off DR coast by Noon or trades will punish you. Watch for hourglass shoal. And when I arrived I tried checking in by phone, but she said i have to come in. I thought I would get some rest at Boqueron before taking a cab to check in at Mayagues but woke up to a sound of a off coast guard knocking on my hull. After the full search and boarding procedure, dogs and all, I was grateful they let me take a cab ride to check in at mayaguez.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 19:41   #3

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

John, Puerto Rico is on my destination list also. Im interest, lets talk.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:49   #4
mcp

Curious how you like the 44DS? We're looking for something around that size. 45DS has been on the radar.
mcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:09   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 44 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp View Post
Curious how you like the 44DS? We're looking for something around that size. 45DS has been on the radar.
I like it a lot! The aft birth is amazing. Can get warm back there in the summer tropics, but i installed fans everywhere and pretty much solved the problem. That would be my only complaint. I have a water maker, tank compressor, and all the dive gear, 500W solar and wind gen. Plenty of storage. Sails well to windward

I am going to be looking to sell mine within the year, because I want to get a cat.
johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 15:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyj View Post
Hello all! I am looking to sail from Turks and Caicos to Puerto Rico. It's going to happen sometime this spring when I get back to my sailboat, which is in TCI now.

Hoping to get some responses from other sailors who would like to join with their boat as well on this passage.
Safety in numbers and all that

Timing for me is flexible, but obviously would most likely be dependent on the wind changes

I have a 2014 Jeanneau 44 DS

Hope to hear from those who want to join, or if anyone has any recommendations on other websites that I could check out for this sort of thing
JohnnyJ,
Eager to learn from your experience sailing from T&Cs to PR. How did you do?
We would like to do the same trip this January 2023. We're on a Dufour412GL, we need 40-45 degrees to sail windward.

We've read "Thornless Path..." Any extra tips can help and are appreciated.
Newrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: St Francis 50'

Hello all, We are docked in Provo , heading to PR this morning, wondered if anyone had knowledge of crossing the Caicos Bank from Provo heading East....We are a 50 ft St Francis cat w 4.5 ft draft, thanks
Steve

Tags
Puerto Rico, sail, sailing, Turks and Caicos