Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 17:21   #31

Boat: Skye 51
Re: Sailing to bermuda - resources - 30 foot sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
since you are looking at these posts have a question regarding the checking in,

Is it mandatory to tie up at their dock or could drop the anchor instead? and dingy ashore to their office?

thanks

David

It’s free and allows the customs officer to inspect the boat if they desire.
Old 22-04-2021, 18:58   #32

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I live in Bermuda and have made the passage to or from here maybe 20 or so times. Traditionally people say to go in April or November in the 'lulls' between the winter storms and the hurricanes. I totally disagree. April is usually ok for a passage from the Caribbean but from the States it's very unpredictable at this time of year. Similarly, in recent years we've had hurricanes into November and even December, by which time the winter storms are becoming established as well. In fact that traditional post-hurricane, pre-winter window basically doesn't exist any more. It's totally possible to make really pleasant passages in the winter but you have to be willing to wait for weeks for the right weather window.

I strongly recommend the second half of May, through June and the first week or two of July. At that time the winter storms are no longer a problem but the water is still cool enough that hurricanes don't pose a serious threat. If you do get a hurricane while you're here we're pretty well set up for it. Every mooring in Bermuda is a hurricane mooring. Alternatively a lot of people haul out for them.

The Gulf Stream can be quite lumpy if you get caught in a wind-against-current situation but it usually doesn't last more than 12-24 hours and you can plan for it.

Don't be on a schedule and you'll be fine.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 19:09   #33

Also, re: cruising guides. As you say, there really aren't any, and whoever wrote the noonsite article clearly never bothered to explore. Bermuda is indeed small, but there's a lot more cruising here than people realise. I think a lot of people are (understandably) put off by the reef systems and don't really venture too far beyond the main channels. If anyone wants any specific info let me know and I'll try to help in any way I can.
Old 22-04-2021, 19:55   #34

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
They insist you tie up at the Customs dock on Ordnance Island in St. George’s harbor.
====================================

thanks
appreciated
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:53   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Also, re: cruising guides. As you say, there really aren't any, and whoever wrote the noonsite article clearly never bothered to explore. Bermuda is indeed small, but there's a lot more cruising here than people realise. I think a lot of people are (understandably) put off by the reef systems and don't really venture too far beyond the main channels. If anyone wants any specific info let me know and I'll try to help in any way I can.
DM, do you know the charter boat "Ana Luna" there?

https://analunaadventures.com/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:13   #36

Quote:
I live in Bermuda and have made the
I strongly recommend the second half of May, through June and the first week or two of July. At that time the winter storms are no longer a problem but the water is still cool enough that hurricanes don't pose a serious threat. If you do get a hurricane while you're here we're pretty well set up for it. Every mooring in Bermuda is a hurricane mooring. Alternatively a lot of people haul out for them.

The Gulf Stream can be quite lumpy if you get caught in a wind-against-current situation but it usually doesn't last more than 12-24 hours and you can plan for it.

Don't be on a schedule and you'll be fine.
===============================================

I will heed your advice on the time, have moved the departure from Morehead City to the middle of May, and do not have any schedule, just time the current to favorable winds.
thanks for all these comments, they are very helpful as seems will be sailing solo and every bit of information is greatly appreciated.
Old 23-04-2021, 15:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
DM, do you know the charter boat "Ana Luna" there?

https://analunaadventures.com/
Yes, they operate out of the East End mainly and are known for their colourful jib. I don't know the owner personally though. Last I heard they were down South in your part of the world. I guess that's why you're asking? :-)
Old 24-04-2021, 07:17   #38

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Marion to Bermuda goes off from Massachusetts on June 18th this year and the Newport to...goes off June 17th, 2022.
Definitely ME - saw you live on the island. Is there slip space available around the time the Newport boats arrive? Asking cause I may enter the race or just do the safety check stuff and sail about same time w/o officially entering ...registration is $2000/boat.. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 14:46   #39

Quote:
Yes, they operate out of the East End mainly and are known for their colourful jib. I don't know the owner personally though. Last I heard they were down South in your part of the world. I guess that's why you're asking? :-)
Yes, I know the owner. He also has a place in Guatemala.

I crewed for a friend a couple of years ago on a NYC-Bermuda-Azores run and while in Bermuda we went for a sail on Ana Luna.

Ana Luna recently returned to Bermuda. I was going to crew on that return trip, but we have curtailed international travel till COVID settles down.

Ive been to Bermuda twice, both times aboard boats, but spent so much time dealing with boat repairs etc that Ive really not seen much of the island. I hope to get back one day when Im not shackled to a boat!
Old 25-04-2021, 05:59   #40

Quote:
==============================================
Hi me again
just down on me there are two races scheduled and is about the time I am planning my sail.
Hard to tell how many boats will actually made the journey this time but trying to avoid the crowd thinking perhaps after checking in moving to the west end?\ if needed
What route/course will normally boats use from Saint George ?
Old 25-04-2021, 12:46   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, I know the owner. He also has a place in Guatemala.

I crewed for a friend a couple of years ago on a NYC-Bermuda-Azores run and while in Bermuda we went for a sail on Ana Luna.

Ana Luna recently returned to Bermuda. I was going to crew on that return trip, but we have curtailed international travel till COVID settles down.

Ive been to Bermuda twice, both times aboard boats, but spent so much time dealing with boat repairs etc that Ive really not seen much of the island. I hope to get back one day when Im not shackled to a boat!
I can reliably confirm that they have indeed arrived back in Bermuda, since they were anchored about 100m from us last night. I'm loving the new paint job.

Hope to see you here at some point. Maybe by that time we'll have some mutual friends in Ana Luna. :-)
Old 25-04-2021, 12:51   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Marion to Bermuda goes off from Massachusetts on June 18th this year and the Newport to...goes off June 17th, 2022.
Definitely ME - saw you live on the island. Is there slip space available around the time the Newport boats arrive? Asking cause I may enter the race or just do the safety check stuff and sail about same time w/o officially entering ...registration is $2000/boat.. thnks
Yes there will be space. The Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club and Royal Bermuda Yacht Club usually make slip space available for Marion-Bermuda and Newport-Bermuda by kicking out their usual occupants for the events. It's a good time usually.

Failing those two if you want to go up-market the Hamilton Princess Marina has space available but is even more pricey than the others.

Space is also generally available in St. George's, Pier 41 marina in Dockyard and Caroline Bay marina in Southampton but those are not as conveniently (centrally) located.
Old 25-04-2021, 13:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
==============================================
Hi me again
just down on me there are two races scheduled and is about the time I am planning my sail.
Hard to tell how many boats will actually made the journey this time but trying to avoid the crowd thinking perhaps after checking in moving to the west end?\ if needed
What route/course will normally boats use from Saint George ?
From St George to the West End? There are two very well-marked channels along the North Shore. The northern one (known as 'crescent') is a little longer but wider. This is the one used by big cruise ships. The other runs closer to the north shore and is favoured by small ships and private boats.

You can also take a route along South Shore outside the reef and re-enter the reef at 'pompano' near SW breaker, but local knowledge is advised for that one.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:24   #44

Quote:
From St George to the West End? There are two very well-marked channels along the North Shore. The northern one (known as 'crescent') is a little longer but wider. This is the one used by big cruise ships. The other runs closer to the north shore and is favoured by small ships and private boats.

You can also take a route along South Shore outside the reef and re-enter the reef at 'pompano' near SW breaker, but local knowledge is advised for that one.
============================================
thank you very much
David
Old 25-04-2021, 17:59   #45

Quote:
I can reliably confirm that they have indeed arrived back in Bermuda, since they were anchored about 100m from us last night. I'm loving the new paint job.

Hope to see you here at some point. Maybe by that time we'll have some mutual friends in Ana Luna. :-)
Yes, they did a BIG refit on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala.

Owner's name is Nathan if you want to introduce yourself. I am Curtis.

Hopefully I will get back to Bermuda again when boat stuff doesnt interfere. Last trip there I spent several days rebuilding an auto pilot system. We had about 1 day to just goof off and then our weather window opened for the Azores.

Maybe next time I just crew to Bermuda and then get off the boat.

Tags
Bermuda, boat, sail, sailboat, sailing