Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 13:41   #1

Sailing Qualities of Full Keel vs Fin Skeg . . .

boats have similar size shape and displacement.

hinterhoeller 28 vs pearson triton...not asking wich is better but how they differ sail wise??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	24933  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:11   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: sailing qualities of full keel vs fine skeg...

Fin keel will turn and tack quicker and may be a little harder to keep a straight course.

Full keel will main a straighter course, turn and tack slower...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:43   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Sailing Qualities of Full Keel vs Fin Skeg . . .

Full keel has more wetted area so it will need a little more sail in the same wind for the same speed.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:43   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I used to own an Islander Bahama 24 which had nearly the same underwater profile as the Pearson Triton. I now own a Haida 26 which has nearly the same keel profile as the Hinterhoeller, but an outboard rudder instead of a skeg mounted one.

The Haida is faster than the Islander on every point of sail. The Haida points higher. The Haida makes LESS leeway. I don't understand quite why but it is true. More efficient foils I guess. The Haida tacks more easily. The Haida is lighter on the tiller.
The Islander was a bit crank, but when the hull buried a bit she was a pleasure to sail. The Haida stands up to the wind much better, and I have never felt like I was heeled over too far. I would say the heeling force on the Haida is linear, while the heeling force on the Islander was progressive. There was definitely a "sweet spot" on the Islander, while the Haida feels like it stands up to the wind better, which undoubtedly contributes to the better speed in all conditions.

I used to beach my Islander all the time, it had a glassed-in lead keel. The draft was pretty low, and the rudder was very strong and well protected.

I never beach my Haida, it has a long, slender outboard rudder that I can picture tearing right off quite easily. The keel is deep, and the boat would sit entirely sideways if beached.

The glassed-in keel was zero maintenance, while the bolt-on keel will definitely require maintenance regularly.

The fin keel wins, imho.

If I were looking for something that I could beach and never maintain, I would go with the enclosed full keel, but I am looking for something that is a joy to sail.

I have heard reports of Haidas being accidentally left out to dry, being no worse for the wear. However, I would hesitate to careen or beach my boat, it just does not seem prudent.

So those are my thoughts on the subject. I would go fin if I go again.

I really love my Haida though, probably will keep her my whole life.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:00   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Others have probably said it all, but let me summarize:

Fin Keel: faster, less drag. Better hydrodynamic foil- less leeway, points higher. Turns quicker under power and backs lots easier.

Full Keel: Less draft. Better directional stability. Better able to withstand a hard grounding, but is more difficult to get off.

On balance I prefer the fin keel hands down unless draft is a huge issue for you.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I used to own an Islander Bahama 24 which had nearly the same underwater profile as the Pearson Triton. I now own a Haida 26 which has nearly the same keel profile as the Hinterhoeller, but an outboard rudder instead of a skeg mounted one.

The Haida is faster than the Islander on every point of sail. The Haida points higher. The Haida makes LESS leeway. I don't understand quite why but it is true. More efficient foils I guess. The Haida tacks more easily. The Haida is lighter on the tiller.
The Islander was a bit crank, but when the hull buried a bit she was a pleasure to sail. The Haida stands up to the wind much better, and I have never felt like I was heeled over too far. I would say the heeling force on the Haida is linear, while the heeling force on the Islander was progressive. There was definitely a "sweet spot" on the Islander, while the Haida feels like it stands up to the wind better, which undoubtedly contributes to the better speed in all conditions.

I used to beach my Islander all the time, it had a glassed-in lead keel. The draft was pretty low, and the rudder was very strong and well protected.

I never beach my Haida, it has a long, slender outboard rudder that I can picture tearing right off quite easily. The keel is deep, and the boat would sit entirely sideways if beached.

The glassed-in keel was zero maintenance, while the bolt-on keel will definitely require maintenance regularly.

The fin keel wins, imho.

If I were looking for something that I could beach and never maintain, I would go with the enclosed full keel, but I am looking for something that is a joy to sail.

I have heard reports of Haidas being accidentally left out to dry, being no worse for the wear. However, I would hesitate to careen or beach my boat, it just does not seem prudent.

So those are my thoughts on the subject. I would go fin if I go again.

I really love my Haida though, probably will keep her my whole life.
when I chose my H28 the owner of a similar boat said the same things as you...I doughted him because the triton has such a good reputation...yet I keep hearing its the better choice...good I am glad I have made a good perchase...now I will comit to her and do the refits she needs.

thanks for all your coments
Old 11-03-2011, 15:14   #7

On balance I prefer the fin keel hands down unless draft is a huge issue for you.

David[/QUOTE]

I am especialy pleased to hear this...I want no windvane or autopilot...well maybe just a simple tiller pilot.

rgds
Old 11-03-2011, 15:46   #8

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Oh, I forgot to mention backing. Both boats backed reasonably well. Manuevering a 24' boat really should never be a big challenge!

I imagine you won't have problems backing either one, but if you really plan on lots of fancy tacking about rocky jetties and docks under sail, go fin.

The Pearson Triton is still a legendary boat. I would not let hull shape make the whole decision for you.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:18   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have a full keel and it's my preference. As others have mentioned its allows a bit shallower draft and I sail in some pretty thin water but there are two other considerations. First, it's really easy to heave to with a full keel boat. Second, the directional stability takes a lot of load off the autopilot. When a friend helped me deliver the boat, he claimed the autopilot wasn't working. I asked why he thought that and he responded that the wheel wasn't moving. I responded that the compass heading wasn't moving either. So for myself, I would choose full over fin almost any day if that were the deciding factor.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I have a full keel and it's my preference. As others have mentioned its allows a bit shallower draft and I sail in some pretty thin water but there are two other considerations. First, it's really easy to heave to with a full keel boat. Second, the directional stability takes a lot of load off the autopilot. When a friend helped me deliver the boat, he claimed the autopilot wasn't working. I asked why he thought that and he responded that the wheel wasn't moving. I responded that the compass heading wasn't moving either. So for myself, I would choose full over fin almost any day if that were the deciding factor.

Rich
I have alredy made my choice and optained the H28 last year...my reasons where not based on hull type but on construction...the H28 has no coar and is built of thick solid glass from top to bottom...the kind of construction that last forever and take the beatings.
Old 11-03-2011, 17:46   #11

Boat: Able 50

Fin keel points higher.

Full keel lets you careen the boat for free anywhere with a beach, or you could lean on a pier.

Fin keel needs less bottom paint.

Full keel works better with a windvane style of autopilot.

Fin keel only for me. They justplain sail better.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:56   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Jobi,

Choosing a sailboat is like choosing a wife. What's good for one is bad for someone else. You've made your choice and I really do wish you well. To be honest, with few exceptions, I don't think there are too many bad boats out there. We just have our own preferences and prejudices.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 18:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Fin keel points higher.

Full keel lets you careen the boat for free anywhere with a beach, or you could lean on a pier.

Fin keel needs less bottom paint.

Full keel works better with a windvane style of autopilot.

Fin keel only for me. They justplain sail better.
I have 2 questions...
First; my keel is steel it can easaly support the boat...can it be careen?
second; my island trader 41 has a full keel...can it be careen?
rgds
Old 11-03-2011, 22:57   #14

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing Qualities of Full Keel vs Fin Skeg . . .

Some of you guys need to get off your rudders and go sailing. A fin keel boat can outsail a full keel on every point of sail. Who doesn't know that?
Less wetted surface is more, ladies.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 23:29   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I have 2 questions...
First; my keel is steel it can easily support the boat...can it be careen?
Yes probably, but much will depend on the bottom. There is a Cobra 750 a similar shape to your hinterhoeller 28 in a little harbour called Bembridge on the Isle of Wight over here. The harbour dries twice a day to leave a reasonably flat sandy bottom, indeed it is slowly filling up with sand. The Cobra seems to dry out and refloat each day okay. However, the GRP topsides must be slowly getting scratched.

What would be a disaster though is careening on a beach if it went the wrong way and lay on a downward slope.

This chap was either very lucky or unlucky depending on how you see it. He is only a few feet out of the channel but that was enough. However, if he had been close to the edge of the channel the drop off is 45 degrees so she may have gone right down.

Of course if you want to dry out on a regular basis you can't beat twin keels

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phoca_thumb_l_109_0978.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	24955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin keels.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	24956