Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: what do you think is better overall for a long term cruiser?
sailing performance over living space 24 30.77%
living space over sailing performance 54 69.23%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32   #76

Yes, very true an old IOR boat when over driven digs a big hole when sailing to an SLR os say 1.35. The loads are big and the boat is not fun to drive.

But cruisers don't tend to over drive the boats so the hole is not big and the boat is sailed comfortably. As an example the Swan 46 in this years ARC will sail to about a .9 slr or 7.44 passage average for a boat with a 8.1 hull speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Which is more what my comment was getting at

My limited IOR experiences have been on under 12m boat that were shocking downhill under kite, digging holes broaching and ordinary steering being their traits, being designed to rate well in a rule, not necesarily sailing well, though some IOR's are great off the breeze, Saltash II being a notable one

Saltash II

Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32   #77

98, 3 speeds, electric. They seem fine for most of the sailing we do other then racing with the #1 with 28 over the deck upwind. Then, not so good, just not quite enough uoompph to get the last 6 inches of trim.

The misses so no! I can't have the coffee grinders back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Dang..Joli thats a big winch!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40   #78

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Really...well that shows you what i know...I always figured you had to be on your toes with an electric so you don't bring the rig down due to its power.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09   #79
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Mark......The wheel comes off..and goes on a rail....for parties..

Yes. Thats the idea! I did that just a few weeks ago when we got into a marina where we stayed for a few weeks. When it came time to go I was doing my usual Capt Bligh: "Cast off forrard! Cast off Aft! Springs GONE!"

Chucked it in astern.

Realised I didn't have a friggin steering wheel!

It was lashed to the rails with 3 chunky cable ties that I couldn't break.

Talk about embarrassing! LOL

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:52   #80
CLOD

Boat: none
Mark that's funny, wish I could have seen that one!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19   #81

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes. Thats the idea! I did that just a few weeks ago when we got into a marina where we stayed for a few weeks. When it came time to go I was doing my usual Capt Bligh: "Cast off forrard! Cast off Aft! Springs GONE!"

Chucked it in astern.

Realised I didn't have a friggin steering wheel!

It was lashed to the rails with 3 chunky cable ties that I couldn't break.

Talk about embarrassing! LOL

Mark
No problems
you just flick one motor into fwd and another in reverse and spin on your length

Oh wait...........
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
This question is a little bit like the old one about race car parts: "It can be light, it can be strong, or it can be cheap. Pick any two."

So a cruising boat can be fast (and weatherly, and fun to sail), can be comfortable, or can be cheap -- pick any two.

Actually, it's more about size than cost. The smaller the boat, the more intense the conflict between performance and comfort becomes. Once you get up to 50' and beyond, you no longer really have to sacrifice one for the other.

Maybe there's a fourth factor -- seaworthiness. Our old boat, a 36.5 foot long-keeler, was neither comfortable nor did it perform well. She sacrificed both of these things for great, built like a brickhouse seaworthiness. She could not accomodate more than 3 people (two of them a couple). There was practically zero usable deck space so you had to live in the cockpit. She did have a nice head, though, for a boat that size. As to performance, her slowness didn't bother me nearly as much as her inability to point. She tacked through about 130 degrees at best, so to actually get anywhere vaguely upwind you had to motor. I like to sail (duh), so this was, to my mind, her worst quality.

The new boat is a 54 footer. I was even a little embarrassed at first by the volume of the accomodation below (but you get used to it fast!). She tacks through about 95 degrees or so true without pinching, so I have never yet motored to get somewhere upwind -- romping upwind at 7 or 8 knots at that angle, you can still make VMG of 4 or more knots directly upwind (yay!).

Of course she cost about 10x of the old boat, but that's where you would rather compromise, if you can afford to.

I guess weatherliness is maybe irrelevant on a trade winds transat, but I doubt many of us spends most of our time in the trades, even those who have done a transat or two. For the rest of us, every degree of tacking angle can make the difference between sailing, or not.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote