Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2009, 13:43   #16

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
What do you guys think about this line of boats, best of both worlds maybe? I know they are quality built and even the 33's bob around all over the world. Keep in mind I will live aboard, this undertaking is not a "both dirt and float" type of thing.

The size thing I have taken to heart on the premise; it is not how big it is but how you use it and how often. Hell, I have had to live my life that way all along...Darn it.

With the high horsepower, they are almost power, displacement boats, with the sticks in the air they are sail boats and rumor is they sail good. Are they particularly difficult to sail? Is this something I should consider?

Like I said, I am fit, and the bow does not concern me now, but this is a long term undertaking, and if I am lucky I will get really old. Getting old (as if 62 is not old) is better than the alternative most of the time.

1984 Nauticat Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985.../United-States

There are more of the similar listed here
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 13:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Too many people purchase the biggest boat they can afford rather than the biggest boat they can handle in a blow. An older gent in my marina who has mobility problems just bought his first sailboat, a new Beneteau 49. Guess which boat in our marina is least likely to go out on a day to day basis. The poor guy can't even get the boat out of the dock without crew.
What you describe is exactly what I wish to avoid. I could have worked years longer and afforded a slightly used Beneteau 49 but by then I might be in the shape of the guy described.
Old 30-04-2009, 16:11   #18

check out the thread New Bee Needs Advice. alot of your questions will also be answered there.

on the other problem (as someone who has also been married 2x) who's gonna put up with your sh*t like her after 38 years? Not to give advice where it's not asked but you've got other "stuff" to deal with before you buy a boat. I only say this from the inside of the mirror.
Old 30-04-2009, 18:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexposeidon View Post
check out the thread New Bee Needs Advice. alot of your questions will also be answered there.

on the other problem (as someone who has also been married 2x) who's gonna put up with your sh*t like her after 38 years? Not to give advice where it's not asked but you've got other "stuff" to deal with before you buy a boat. I only say this from the inside of the mirror.
Taken and noted, u may have a germane point. I thought it was mighty nice of me to offer to sell the house that she said she did not want to live in anymore because of "bad memories" and use the cash to buy one of the boats I have posted here. Damn man what more could she ask for. See how far I am willing to go.

BTW we have a house that could not be replaced for any where near what we would get for it. See all of the skyling of Fort Worth total of about 165 degrees of view out the back window.