Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 06:58   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Sailing instructor Cocoa Beach / Merritt Island /Cape Canaveral?

Hello all,

we have had our new to us Hunter 38 for a couple of months. The wife and I have taken it out a total of 5 times and sailed it only once. Mainly we were practicing navigating bridges and Stern in docking (getting pretty good). Currently in Merritt Island. We have used an instructor but his availability is extremely limited. Does anyone know of a competent instructor who would be willing to do a few more days with us in the Coca beach / beach Merritt island area on our vessel? I have my ASA 101 and have had instruction prior. Mainly our concern is taking it out of the locks for the first time in open water. We are insured and have sea tow. We are available weekend only.
copperwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 10:21   #2

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Sailing instructor Cocoa Beach / Merritt Island /Cape Canaveral?

Only 5 times? You need to get on that man! The only way to get comfortable is to do it, and suck it up and learn if you made a mistake.

We bought our 1st boat, also a Hunter 38, in Vero in late April and with not much more experience that you (I had most of the ASA certs and some chartering but 15 years ago, she nothing at all) and have been down Ft. Lauderdale and up to Hilton Head, inside and outside and screwed up and made mistakes, and thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Well, I didn't enjoy learning how to get in and out of the slip with 25 kts across it, and learning how to patch hypalon 'cos I ran the new tender over some submerged oysters, and how to get the main down in a hurry because the furling line snapped, and how to replace a fresh water pump in the slip in FTL.....but you learn from it.

Get out there, you can sail in the river there easily enough without going outside.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 16:19   #3

Boat: Hunter 40.5
Re: Sailing instructor Cocoa Beach / Merritt Island /Cape Canaveral?

ASA captains are limited as is right now.

Weekend only makes it even harder.

The communication skills of sailors makes it even harder.

Best bet might be the active sailor on your dock and a six pack for crewing if you want to spend a few more hours, supervised.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing