Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 15:28   #1

Sailing from Long Beach to Ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank you.

hello: my name is stephen. i have a westsail 32 i bought in long beach. we've been going thru a refit on her. im thinking of heading south to ensanada july 1st. is there anyone with experience taking off for mexico and living down there on their boats? any cheap marina's nearby in a nice area or any good anchorages that i can also bring my boat to the dock sometimes to pump out and get fresh water? is there fresh water down there that won't make me sick?
ive never been to ensanda and i don't have to go specifically to ensanada..it's just my insurance will cover be to a 'point' bonda? or something that like that is like 10miles past ensanada.
any advice would be appreciated.
thank you so much.
i'll also be looking for crew if anyone wants to go on a trip? i have charts all the way down to there.
boat is setup as a cutter rig, i have a ssb, vhf, liferaft, epirb, watermaker, etc. (howevever; i have not really figured out if the watermaker is working 100%? as i bought the boat a month ago and i can hear it work..but the tank it looks like it go's to doesn't seem to fill up?) but i'll figure that out...also i have dc refridge that works EXCELLENT. i'll be getting solar put on her soon and a few other things then im GONE with the wind so to speak..may head for hawaii also after that.
stephen
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 15:36   #2

Boat: Newport 28 II
Re: sailing from long beach to ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

Nothing is cheap in Mexico if your a gringo on a yacht.
I stayed at Baja Neval in Ensanota a few weeks, it's a rip off,wouldn't recommend it.
Go to Catalina it's the USA and you can drink the water.
Good luck too you
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 18:10   #3

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: sailing from long beach to ensanada. any advice? how to live good. cheap? thank y

Stephen , Hi . I take it you have heard of the HAHA ? richard@latitude38 is a expert on the subject . Also you could contact the Yoders thru WOA . the Yoders have a wonderful blog I think it's called Yoders afloat . Mexico is going thru some changes right now concerning their IRS . And it has been difficult for cruisers .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 18:38   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Punta Banda is your insurance boundary. The trip down is easy.

Marina Coral, just north of Ensenada, is pretty nice and has a good hotel.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 19:09   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Marina Coral is nice. Was last there in 2000. Check the current price. Was some but not a lot cheaper than Long Beach then.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 19:16   #6

Boat: Cascade 36

I've thought about this kind of thing in the past and here is a sumarry of my thoughts...take them for what you paid for them....If I didn;t have the GF and the job that I like and yada yada yada, this would most likely be my plan.

A. Stay north of the border and "learn your craft" here where you (presumably) have a higher comfort level. Your most likely more familiar with the money, the language, and the ways and places you get things here in the States than you are in Mexico.

Your craft"" to learn your boat, how to sail it, how to repair it and how to live on it cheaply while spending most of your time on anchor. There are more anchorages to do this in Southern California than there are between the border and Punta Banda. Some of the anchorages will have time limits up here but there's enough of them around to make it work. There are also more places that are more conveinent to take a slip when necessary in SoCal than there are in Mexico.

B. When you're a little more comfortable with your "craft" and the current insurance policy is up. Get an insurance policy that will allow you to GO TO ALL OF Mexico. Ensenada is barely just the tip. You should shouldn't allow yourself to be limited to just there. The rest of Mexico is pretty awesome.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 19:39   #7

He should be able to add a rider to insure beyond Punta Banda?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 45

I just moved my boat from Marina Corel to San Diego last week. The Dock Master, Fito is excellent. It's more pricy than the port marina but also it's not as dusty or noisy. If you're planning on staying there for a while they offer substantial discounts on hotel rooms, food and drinks at all of the restaurants in the hotel as well as their spa. They have a shuttle to San Diego as well and will shuttle you to down town Ensenada or the Costco but there is a food store across the street. My wife thinks their Marina bathrooms and showers are the nicest she's ever been to and I have to agree. I wouldn't use the marina hose water to put in your tanks but there is a local water service that delivers and fills your boat with purified water for a reasonable cost. Security is excellent, Fito will help you with your TIP (temporary import permit) and other paperwork to check you in. Make sure you have your passports, documentation and a copy of your insurance policy. There is a bit of a surge but the Marina is well protected. The place is full of Americans, some in tax jail and a bunch that have decided it's better there than a San Diego marina.
Ala Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:09   #9

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

If you are headed south stop by in Morro Bay and look up Cruise RO. He is a member here and knows (and sells) watermakers and refer systems. He would probably be a good contact to have look over your systems before going out of country where parts are expensive and hard to get.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36   #10

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

owned and sailed a westsail 32' in Hawaii for years. Lived on moorings in Lahaina and Kaanapali off of Maui for years with her. Bring all with you before going to Mexico, ( Ensenada or elsewhere there) buying parts, shipping, import taxes make it a pain to do repairs. IMHO their boat yards are no cheaper than San Diego and a potential cluster.
Westsails are ideal for Hawaii, with a mean windspeed off 15kts annually you can pick your conditions. It is short of slips but good holding grounds. Banditos, language barriers, VAT, dont exist. I'm not nuts on Mexico for yachtitstas...
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:58   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I would suggest a bit more time offshore in U.S. waters before heading south. Your insurance should be good to Panama after Nov 1, which is when the hurricane threat is lower. Ensenada is a great little town and had a business in San Diego for many years delivering boats from the U.S. for members of the 91 Day Yacht Club(folks attempting to avoid paying CA sales tax on their new boats). I understand the law has changed significantly since those days, however.
When I was running deliveries from PV and points south years ago, it was easy and financially very lucrative driving boats back and forth. In those days folks would sail south until their time ran out or their $ and look for someone to do the 'Baja Bash' back up. Some would leave their boat down there always meaning to go down and get it back but never go back. I used to charge $200 per day getting a boat ready to head north and $300 per day underway... I'm sure the price has gone up significantly since the late 80's, though.
A previous poster suggested to check out the Ba Ha cruise that leaves San Diego around Nov 1. Good suggestion if you are inexperienced because you will cruise down the coast with a couple of hundred other cruising friends many of whom will know even less than you! Most drink their way to Cabo!
My advice is to cut your cruising teeth on local waters, learn your boat and how she handles in ALL types of weather, gain some solid sailing and nav skills before heading out.
Back in the 60's, I had a William Atkins Ingrid that I sailed from Haines, Alaska to San Diego and back to Vancouver, Canada... Similar to a Westsail and she performed well both up and down the coast, which I single handed much of the passage. So take from an 'old but wiser' salt... watch your weather windows, sail your boat in all kinds of wind and sea conditions, fit her out well and go for it! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
...Bring all with you before going to Mexico, ( Ensenada or elsewhere there) buying parts, shipping, import taxes make it a pain to do repairs. IMHO their boat yards are no cheaper than San Diego and a potential cluster...
On your first statement, I strongly agree, having spent a year refitting a boat in Mexico. This is a heavy burden to add to any major boat project.

But I have found the yards and local labor vastly cheaper. Though they require that you bring your personal skilled technical and managerial support.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22   #13

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi Stephen,
If you head south before November 1, as has been said here, you run right into the hurricane season for the eastern Pacific. Last summer was brutal, with twenty-something named storms. This summer looks to be more of the same, with the sea already much warmer than normal.

That said, Head down in late October with the Haha, and you will absolutely love Mexico. I have had my boat in La Paz for about a year and a half. Stunning anchorages, friendly people, amazing food, great fishing, etc., etc. Most anchorages are clean sand. If you stay in a marina like I do, La Paz is a bit pricey. However, you can anchor out in the Magote (harbor) for $1/day. You can dinghy in to the marina and use their facilities, fill up with water, do laundry, etc., for a nominal fee. Most of the people cautioning you about Mexico have not been down there. Yes, there is crime, but no where close to what we have in Los Angeles on a daily basis. You will love it.

I have not stayed in Ensenada, but have heard great things about it, as has been mentioned already. There is some good advice about sharpening your skills before heading down.

BTW, I am heading back up, doing the Baja Bash in June for the summer. I'll be heading back in the fall, so look me up in La Paz if you get down there.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:44   #14

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
If you are headed south stop by in Morro Bay and look up Cruise RO..
'Cept the OP is in Long Beach. Morro Bay is a bit northward of that.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:59   #15

One note on insurance: you MUST have Mexican liability insurance, even if you don't insure your boat. Vagamundos del Mar, Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat & Travel Club - Mexican Insurance, Baja & Mexico Group Activities and Tours, a gringo travel club based in San Diego, is a great source of info, help, and insurance, including auto and boat.

Marina Coral is great, and there is no property tax there. As said, Fito, the marina manager, is very helpful. They offer cheaper rates the longer you guarantee to stay. Highly recommended, the ladies love the hotel, great brunch on Sundays. And Ensenada is close enough for friends and family to visit.

I've nothing but good work from Baja Naval boatyard. Good prices on bottom jobs. Not a place where I would re-power, but good fiberglass, carpentry, and basic repair.

Do get all systems working well before you go. While parts are not to much hassle in Ensenada (but may be $$$), expertise on high-tech systems can be sketchy.

The Mexican IRS issue has been worked out, though you'll need to have your HIN clearly engaved on the starboard transom, and the same number engraved elsewhere in the interior in a "hidden" location. If inspected, the authorities will ask to see both.

Personal safety has not worried me there. The locals are friendly and very helpful.

Have a great time.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, sail, sailing