Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 06:43   #31

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: Sailing around the world with a Hanse 575, Amel 55 or Moody 54DS?

Go for the Amel, no brainer, no comparison as a world cruiser.
While at it why not consider the Hylas?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello Polux,

Sorry ... I was only teasing... Nonetheless, I also like Cigale 16 (there is one in the next pontoon to me at Marina di Ragusa).. Plus I nearly bought an X562 (which is still for sale). But for a safe RTW, the Amel became a compromised choice.
The problem in internet is that you never know when one is kidding or not

The X562 is a great performance cruiser wit a great interior but it is not the s X6 same type of boat. The X6 is not a performance cruiser but a voyage fast bluewater boat. It is a new type among X-yachts, a new line.

Not that the X562 is not a great bluewater boat and is not the type of boat some would see fit or ideal for a circumnavigation...but they would not be the same type of sailors that would chose a X6 and the ones that would consider that one perfect would not be the same that would consider an Amel perfect and vice-versa. All great boats that would be ideal bluewater boats for.... different cruisers.

By the way you would like to know that among the first boats on the ARC is a X562, between two fast 80fters, ahead of 2 Outremer 51, a Pogo 50, a Baltic 56 and 64 and ahead of all Challenge 72 racers. I bet they are having fun while crossing
World Cruising Club - Fleet Viewer
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:05   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

It is all up to your personal preferences.

I would always take that Amel 55, if I were to rtw again.

Other people would buy other boats.

And you will buy whatever YOUR heart desires most.

The other two boats (Moody, Hanse) seem fine anyways, just the Amel is actually built for long ocean passages with shorthanded crew.

Since you have a boat already, I am not sure why you want anything else. Sometimes an old boat that you know so well is actually a better choice than a new boat that you have to learn.

Happy shopping,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:06   #34

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
@polux
If you want to say that a x-yacht is similar to, and better than hanses, fine!

Said that, anyone sells his own concepts, including prestigious NA... :-)

The only French boat I like is Pen Duick III
Don't understand what you mean??? X yacht is not a French brand but a Danish brand, a country that has several high quality manufacturers that make high quality yachts.

Not all x-yachts are similar typed with Hanse.

X-yachts has several lines, some are much more sportive than Hanse, even more than Dehler, but I would say that the program of the new line that X yachts is creating with X6 and X4 is similar on the type of boat and program to Hanse Yachts.

Regarding X yachts to have better quality than Hanse it would be quite inexplicably if it was not the case since they are much more expensive and sell very well. Who would buy a boat that costs 50% more if the quality was the same of a much cheaper boat? They would bankrupt in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Look at your pictures.... it looks an Ikea office corner... tidy clean aseptic, 90° corners all around.

As to Finot, a living room on stern...!? Well,... better not... I want storage gear available when mooring, small beam eastern, and full height standing alone, and less noise, in the living...
Thank you...
If you don't know the boat you should not talk about it. The Cigale, as any voyage boat has plenty of storage, where it should be, not inside the living area but on the transom, aft the saloon, on the side where there are two deep lockers, one on each side plus one for the life-raft and also a large locker at the bow, aft the chain locker. That big platform on the back of the boat is an open dinghy garage.

The position of the saloon on the back allows a 270º visibility to the outside, giving the boat a panoramic view of the exterior.

You may want whatever you want as a sailboat but a small beam transom is a thing of the past. Even boats with relatively small beam has it almost all pulled aft, to allow for more stability and less rolling downwind, I mean boats designed to the state of the art, modern designs. That includes for instance the new Amel or the Boreal or pretty much any new design made by a reputable NA.

You seem not to know the Cigale that is not a new one, but a very famous one and that has been built with small alterations (regarding the concept) for almost 20 years. A kind of record for a modern design and only possible because it was a very advanced one when it was designed.

It's hull concept is based on the concept of the Open 60 solo ocean racers, boats that are fast, have a huge stability, are easy to sail and represent the best compromise regarding a short or solo crew. At the time this boat was a pioneer using that concept for cruising boats, today most of cruising boats use that kind of hull, and not only Beneteau or Hanse, but Boreal and Amel too.

The Cigales are sailed extensively as voyage boats everywhere. This one is anchored near Cap Horn.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:02   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Arghhhhh ;-) Cigale!

Now we are talking about sailing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:10   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I sure wish I had dilemmas like yours.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:38   #37

It strikes me as odd that these large luxurious yachts have what looks like a puny ladder to go below from the cockpit... Can't they come up with something more substantial?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:01   #38

check out
Delos Sailing Crew | We just wanna make you smile!

great set of video clips of Amel 53 doing RTW and plenty of reflections on the design.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:32   #39

Hanse not well built. Moody not much better. These are fairweather boats. Not around the world.

Amels safe and solid though I would prefer metal. So Cigale would do the business
Winchfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
It strikes me as odd that these large luxurious yachts have what looks like a puny ladder to go below from the cockpit... Can't they come up with something more substantial?
Yes, and puny ladder aside, am I the only one that finds that the interiors of these pricey modern floating condos look like an Ikea wet dream? Whatever happened to quality woodworking and functional interiors? Can anyone spell Little Harbor, or Hinckley?

I wouldn't be caught dead in one of these modern junks. No style. No class. Resale?... probably a joke.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:56   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yes, and puny ladder aside, am I the only one that finds that the interiors of these pricey modern floating condos look like an Ikea wet dream? Whatever happened to quality woodworking and functional interiors? Can anyone spell Little Harbor, or Hinckley?

I wouldn't be caught dead in one of these modern junks. No style. No class. Resale?... probably a joke.
I am not opposed to modernism... but simplicity is not necessarily good design. Details, materials, functionality and so forth need to present. And ornament may look and feel cozy and pretty, but it has little to do with function. Usually modern is lacking "warmth" for most people... The irony is that a modern sailboat is very high tech and traditional looks are somewhat anachronistic to say the least.

This is a tough one.

Notice how some "things" move forward in design... like cars... and some have one foot in the past... houses, furniture.. and yachts for example.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22   #42

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Ugh - no more SV Delos, just wasted yet another hour watching the vids....
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:35   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I am not opposed to modernism... but simplicity is not necessarily good design. Details, materials, functionality and so forth need to present. And ornament may look and feel cozy and pretty, but it has little to do with function. Usually modern is lacking "warmth" for most people... The irony is that a modern sailboat is very high tech and traditional looks are somewhat anachronistic to say the least.

This is a tough one.

Notice how some "things" move forward in design... like cars... and some have one foot in the past... houses, furniture.. and yachts for example.
Funny how you mention cars. For years, I always wondered why the Detroit big 3 never offered big-block replicas of the mid-'60 to '71 muscle-car classics. Then low-and-behold, now you can walk into the Dodge dealer and drive away in a mega-HP Challenger. Thus, I think that the question is cyclical. There's always a market for great things, yet manufacturers often get confused. I see no "warmth" in these modern boat designs, yet some folks obviously must love them. Beauty surely is in the eye of the beholder. My wife and I know what we want, and it's not a floating French IKEA condo.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ugh - no more SV Delos, just wasted yet another hour watching the vids....
Ah...c'mon. Open your checkbook. Sponsored sailing in a big monohull is much better than working for a living. BTW, if one can afford such a vessel, why would one need sponsors? Hmmmm.... the world may never know the answer to that curious question.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:25   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
And plenty of people would not want to be seen dead in some throw back from the ye old days. The world has moved on..

Tags
Amel 55, comfort, Hanse 575, Moody 54 DS, round the world, safety, sailing