Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35   #46

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Re: Sailing around the world with a Hanse 575, Amel 55 or Moody 54DS?

Would suggest the best of 2 worlds: take at look at the Hylas 57.. and the Nordhavn 56 motorsail.. something in your writing is hiding a future motorsailer owner.. good luck!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52   #47

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Is SV Delos really a 53 Amel? I have been watching the Videos for over a year and never noticed much about the sailboat.:

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:16   #48
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
It strikes me as odd that these large luxurious yachts have what looks like a puny ladder to go below from the cockpit... Can't they come up with something more substantial?
Agreed... For a boat that gets taken to places like Antarctica, that open open style ladder with only one siderail doesn't afford the degree of security I'd want to see, the curvature of those steps alone isn't gonna cut it. or prevent a wet or frozen boot from possibly slipping off the side, at a minimum there should at least be a double siderail on that thing...

But, hey, at least they resisted the temptation to go with the sort of Curved Grand Staircase Hunter came out with on their 450 "Passage" some years ago...

;-)

As for the gut-wrenching decision the OP is facing, perhaps he should find out what "No boat yet" decided upon at the Southhampton Boat Show back in September... ;-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-152572.html

Personally, I'd steer clear of the Hanse 575, at least until they figure out how to properly align their backstay 'chainplates' to the load they're gonna see... Might want to double check the size of the fender washers that might be backing that kludge, as well...

;-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
And plenty of people would not want to be seen dead in some throw back from the ye old days. The world has moved on..
Yup. Or as my dear 'ol dad likes to say, "They just don't make 'em like they used to." Me? I still gravitate towards old-school workmanship, and real wood. Some of my friends like Ikea. Oh, and ceiling hand rails. I like function also. Tis a sailboat, at the end of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4064412_20120913121248_5_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	114351  
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:50   #50

Boat: Hylas 54

After tons of similar research and in a similar situation my wife and I bought a Hylas 54 in Newport, RI. We LOVE her. While it worked out great for us, I wish I had checked with these guys.

http://www.mahina.com.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09   #51

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesscapade View Post
After tons of similar research and in a similar situation my wife and I bought a Hylas 54 in Newport, RI. We LOVE her. While it worked out great for us, I wish I had checked with these guys.

Mahina Expeditions conducts sailing and navigation training and expeditions in the South Pacific and offers offshore sailing seminars.

I had exactly the same thoughts. A couple of things come to my mind after reading this thread......
- Some professional help from an experienced person without a vested interest in selling you a specific boat isn't a bad idea. John at Mahina was quite helpful when I was looking and his rate was quite reasonable for the what I got.
- I have an Amel 53. Love it, but providing sites to it as a comparison to the Amel 55 isn't particularly relevant IMO. They have some common design features and lineage, but the Amel 55 is a very different boat with a much more modern underbody and much more refined interior. I think the 55 is a great boat, but it is a quite different boat than the 53 as there's over 20 yrs of design evolution between them (the 53 first sailed in 1989)
- Looking at the OP's list, I'm not sure a new custom built Aluminum expedition boat is going to be the same budget, but I could be wrong. You might find though that a Hallberg Rassey is closer and they do make some really nice boats. That or a well maintained, lightly used HR 53 could be another option.

Have fun shopping.....
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:00   #52

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

The majority of circumnavigators coming through the marina in Darwin are Amel; must say something.

Old 07-12-2015, 15:27   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
The majority of circumnavigators coming through the marina in Darwin are Amel; must say something.

What does it say?

People who do the circle usually have the dough and having the dough they will buy a well found and probably expensive boat... This doesn't mean that you can't do it with less... but it's more challenging... No? How many yachts are designed for that sort of work? I dunno... can't be too many.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:02   #54

The OP said he wanted to sail around the world, but he never said what thier philosophy is, or what their route is. So all this ranting about insulation and Antarctica may well be moot. Besides sailing to Antarctica in the summer is no big deal; a 400 mile ocean passage easily done by picking a weather window then some fairly gentle cruising grounds if we are talking about the Peninsula; which everyone is!

Almost any boat can go anywhere and for most people around the world is around the middle in the quiet seasons with mostly first world stops or easy access to the first world - so take whatever you feel like taking... what about a cat for a trip around the middle, makes a lot of sense but I wouldn't take one into high latitudes.

OH but whatever you take put in extra fuel and water tanks there is never enough of either; and some more solar panels.

Chris
--
Tweed's World | A high latitude sailor preparing for tropical cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
You have a first-world problem.
Yea that you can't fix in the third world.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:05   #55

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

It looks like traditionalists offend people like polux who praise the new trends.

Fine, anyone travels his own way, no reason to cross opinions.

X4-6 LOOKS like the pathetic mimesis of a 3min$ WALLY,really for the new aspirational wannabes (yes, my opinion, not humble at all).

The French have their own ideas of fast ocean cruising... Finot is much praised but his work does not RESONATE to me. And never did.

My freedom, to judge, without pretending to influence of convince anyone.

I do care NOT defending my opinions,.. I just find laughable that others attack any 'contrary ' opinions.... to which aim!? Selling me a Cigale, no... SO...WHAT!?

It sounds to me like protesting with an owner that his boat's name sounds bad...so f... what!? Please...

I hope polux own a Cigale, or he will remain rather unhappy with any other design :-)
PS
Where can those stowage places be designed in a transom sporting a living space underneath still defies me...... annoying to have to trade storage space with living space/height
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:23   #56

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post

it says
1) many coming from Domaines d'outremer francaises
2) ocean crossing is usually for bigger boats
3) AmeI is a 30? yo design, and one of the few offering sketch rigging

People should stop drawing LAWS out of what are preferences in style, expenses, comfort, as being very subjective values.

Confuting someone else's ideas is impolite, as none is adamantly true/better in itself, but by the circumstances.

PS amel is a great, yet hideous, Boat.
(for scrubby, too assuming old farts. Of course I'll never tell that to anyone, nor will I ever write. )

My shining opinion :-), of course. Even god must accept this the way it is. "Man is the measure to everything"
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:40   #57

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I hope polux own a Cigale, or he will remain rather unhappy with any other design :-)
No and I would not want want one simply because it is not the type of boat more adapted to the sailing and cruising I do neither to my particular sailing taste.

The Cigale are what they are: a fast voyage boat with an aluminium hull.

I do not need or want a specifically designed voyage boat, I don't need the extra safety of a aluminium hull and even if the Cigale is a fast boat I prefer comparatively faster cruisers not specifically voyage boats.... but off course that is just me and what I prefer.... but since you are talking about my preferences, that is what is relevant

Now, if one day I decide to circumnavigate (I don't see it as likely) the Cigale would be on my short list of sailing boats, but I would have to see it better. Probably too big for me, that like to sail only with my wife. Probably a smaller boat with a kevlar hull could be a good option, specially considering that joins the advantages of a very strong hull, a very small draft with the advantages of a deeply ballasted sailboat in what regards stability and sail power, I mean this boat:

Comet Explorer 46 EX - Comar Yachts

Off course, for that I would had to have not only the will to circumnavigate as well the money to have such a boat and that is also very improbable
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 20:13   #58

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. Nice Mason 53 (sailing precursor to the Nordhavn trawlers) residing in a beaut, safe part of the world if you want to discuss another option to your list. Pics in the album on my profile page. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further. All the best with your quest. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 21:18   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Wow...what a tough problem you have.

On a longshot...you might want to consider this bargain located in Canada for a fraction of your budget:

Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales

I'm familiar with the original owner. It was built for singlehanded sailing to run drugs from Antigua to the US/Canada. The vessel was seized, sold at auction, and rebuilt as a luxury cruiser. It is about the strongest vessel imaginable. Its at my local marina in Kingston Ontario Canada, on the hard for the winter.
Would need a complete inside refit. It sure looks old and tired. Not my cup of tea.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:31   #60

Boat: Hanse 505

Oyster 575 or Swan 54?
SausalitoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Amel 55, comfort, Hanse 575, Moody 54 DS, round the world, safety, sailing