Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 10:36   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sailboats with Free Standing Masts

What I like most about free standing rigs, a boat running or on a broad reach can just ease the sheets in a puff. Given the percentage of time spent sailing downwind, 99.99% of Coconut Milk & ARC boats have the WRONG rig ;-)

One of the places where borrowing from the racing crowd actually worked contrary to cruisers' needs ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:42   #47

Boat: Freedom 38

I once had someone ask, "Aren't your afraid to sail that thing?" Funny. And I take a wee bit of offense at those who say a Freedom can't go to weather. Here are recent regatta results of my F38 against similar Catalinas, Rangers, Islanders, Tartans, etc. (hope it's legible; I couldn't get the table format to paste).

Place Name Type Skipper Rating Finished Elapsed Corrected
1 KYNNTANA Freedom 38 Carliane Johnson 141 15:09:39 00:54:39 00:51:24
2 SURPRISE Catalina 34 Peter Birnbaum 147 15:10:15 00:55:15 00:51:31
3 SUMMER SAILSTICE Ranger 33 John Arndt 153 15:11:50 00:56:50 00:52:33
4 AMANDLA Catalina 34 Kurt Magdanz 147 15:11:56 00:56:56 00:53:06
5 GANNET Knarr Bob thalman 186 15:17:03 01:02:03 00:54:48
6 ZINGARA Islander 36 Steve and Jocelyn Swanson 150 15:14:22 00:59:22 00:55:08
7 KA-NINA Catalina 34 Gary & Erin Stypulkoski 147 15:17:35 01:02:35 00:58:22
8 ISLE OF SKYE Tartan 33 Jeff McQueen 159 15:19:31 01:04:31 00:59:09
9 WILLIN` Catalina 30 Mark Tishler 186 15:25:01 01:10:01 01:01:50
10 PHOENIX Catalina 320wk Jon Rolien 156 15:30:46 01:15:46 01:09:45
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:43   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am so glad to see others find this topic as interesting (as I do too).

To the Freedom Boat Owners:

Would you please write a bit about the plan or suggested steps to take if the boat encounters extreme winds? For example, first please describe your rig (wishbone boom or conventional boom and gooseneck) and boat sail plan type (sloop, cutter, ketch)and then what is done at the point where you have reefed down completely.

Also, how many reef points does your mainsail have? And is the sail fully battened, etc?

For example, is there a suggested method of using a trysail or what?

I am curious and would like to hear what the Freedom owners (in particular) know about this or can share with us here. This is a sincere request, I am eager to learn from you folks.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:46   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What I like most about free standing rigs, a boat running or on a broad reach can just ease the sheets in a puff. Given the percentage of time spent sailing downwind, 99.99% of Coconut Milk & ARC boats have the WRONG rig ;-)

One of the places where borrowing from the racing crowd actually worked contrary to cruisers' needs ...

b.
Good points!

The Junk Rig is especially noted for easy downwind sailing and efficient too. But, a "wing and wing" Cat Ketch would be really nice too, with balanced sail area on each side of the boat. I can imagine a nice downwind sled/sleigh ride.

But what about going to weather (upwind)?
That is what they make engines for on most boats.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:48   #50

Boat: Freedom 38

And beating to weather a couple of weeks ago.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...17wZG19SYILTdb
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 13:23   #51

Boat: Catalina 30

Someone in our sailing club has a Hunter Vision. It has a free standing mast with a fore-stay so you can have a jib. Mast is like a massive light pole and has a traditional boom. I've never seen the inside, would love to see how it is supported.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:12   #52

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
But what about going to weather (upwind)?
That is what they make engines for on most boats.
I realize you're kidding here, as being able to crab off a lee shore in a storm is a basic essential for any modern yacht to be called a sailboat (think dragging anchor, rope around prop, flat battery, propeller useless in waves, etc, etc). In this situation I'd rather not be so dependent on winch-grinders - one riding turn and you're a gone-burger. Catboat rig the answer? Junk rig - maybe, not so sure?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:16   #53
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I dont just want a stand alone MAST

I WANT A TELESCOPIC MAST

that can be lowered or raised by electricity or a crank.

I can duck under bridges or prepare for a roll.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:40   #54

Often, other sailors who sail on my cat ketch make comments such as:

A) this is too easy

B) there is nothing to tweak or fiddle with

C) kinda boring, I need something to pull, wrap, crank

D) wow, I can't believe how easy it was to gybe

E) amazingly smooth on water

Of course they want to see how well it points, how quick it can turn, how much it can heel. My response is "have another sandwich and drink and relax and enjoy."

I tell my guest and crew; "this is a boat I can grow old for it can be sailed with one hand, and half a brain." Come on now, isn't that a fine feature of a boat worth having? Lol

I'll post a picture soon.

Boats are great because there are enough different types of boats to satisfy different folks.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 18:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
Someone in our sailing club has a Hunter Vision. It has a free standing mast with a fore-stay so you can have a jib. Mast is like a massive light pole and has a traditional boom. I've never seen the inside, would love to see how it is supported.
My friends parents bought a Freedom 38 when they got too old for their Swan. They love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	106380  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:06   #56

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Delancy, thanks for the videos on this wonderful boat builder and natural man. I watched every minute available. It was such a special thing for me. My father's generation has almost passed away now. So much knowledge will be lost and so few people will take the time to hone these skills...not just boat building. I remember my grandmother used to can and bake. My father was a professional baker and cook. He never could get the same crusts or fruitcakes to turn out like hers. Sorry I digress.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:48   #57

Free standing mast sailors....ok, spill the beans of your secret knowledge. What happens when you are on a dw leg and a squall pops up behind you and comes barreling down upon you? I know I have heard they are easy to depower. But if the wind is pressed against the sails and you slack the main halyard I assume the sail just doesn't drop. Also very curious what you do in a real blow for a trysail. How to you keep the boat crabbing into the wind when lying ahull? Please share with us...
Old 30-07-2015, 22:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
... if the wind is pressed against the sails and you slack the main halyard I assume the sail just doesn't drop...
Nor would the sails drop on a conventional rigged yacht - no one would even attempt this! Only a junk rig could de-power in this way, surely? Normal action is to point up in a mono, bear away in a multi. At least the boom wouldn't be pressed against the shrouds.
Old 31-07-2015, 00:06   #59

Nevis, and what do you do when you have to go into survival mode with a free standing rig? Is there a way to keep bow to waves with lashed helm and trysail like in conventional manner on a cutter rig?
Old 31-07-2015, 01:20   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Nevis, and what do you do when you have to go into survival mode with a free standing rig? Is there a way to keep bow to waves with lashed helm and trysail like in conventional manner on a cutter rig?
Heaving-to under storm canvass is not 'survival mode' - traditionally it is a normal part of cruising. Lying a-hull (bare poles), or if that becomes untenable, running off under bare poles, may be considered survival mode by some - I still call it a normal part of sailing. In absence of response from those experienced with cat ketches in heavy weather, I understood the heave-to procedure to be twin trysails, the forward sail no doubt sheeted to weather, as normal for the forward sail on any hove-to sloop, ketch or cutter. Let me repeat though - I have no knowledge of cat ketches.

If you sail a junk rig, I'd be interested in any insights you can offer on the ease or difficulty of handling that in heavy weather, as I'm now firmly of the opinion that free-standing masts in any form have many advantages. (And now I'll try to keep quiet.)

Tags
mast, sailboat, sail