Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 17:59   #31

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Re: Sailboats with a Forward Head Layout

I agree that while it is an efficient use of the space, and I have always liked the idea of customizing a Cape Dory 25D if I had to sail alone, it doesn't seem like the best location for cruising if it is the only head.

An example where they got it right may be the Catalina 42 with the pullman berth. 1 head at foot of companionway, 1 in forepeak. Pullman is low, with a ton of headroom.

Just my .02$

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:24   #32

Boat: Seafarer36c

I would have never thought to criticize the location of our head, it is what it is, just foward of the mast.
You know the trick is to put little bumpers around the seat, keeps it from moving around.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:36   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

I have the luxury of both a forward head and the other next to the companionway. No contest, underway the aft head is a clear winner!! In fact we don't go near the forward 3rd of the boat underway.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:39   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A forward head isn't comfortable unless sailing in calm waters. b
Old 07-06-2017, 18:46   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
What's your point?
Well, that was a direct answer to the question posed in the OP.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 19:32   #36

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I don't agree. Crew weren't treated like people when ships were wood and men were iron.

The place for a single head on a boat is at the base of the companionway. THE place. It's a place for bodily functions that is near the center of motion. It's a place to drop wet foulies without dragging water and salt through the boat. The watch can use the head or brush their teeth or clean eyewear without waking the boat.

A forward head is an easy and convenient design choice but not a good arrangement for cruising.
Considering how boats are typically used (stay in marinas, at anchor, fair weather day sailing, motoring in calm conditions), placing a head where you suggest - in the most desirable area of the hull - will have advantages less than 1% of time. Much less. And then you lose this premium midship space for other applications. Another consideration is how much time one spends in the head. For someone who only spends there 10 minutes a day, locating it in a premium space is inefficient. If one spends there two hours a day or more, however, it is indeed a different story.
I have crossed Gulf Stream while sleeping in a vee berth of a 34 foot boat once and would do it again, but I would rather move the berth closer to the companionway and put the head at the bow area to maximize the overall comfort.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 21:19   #37

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I only have a couple years on me sailing with one trip across the Gulf so far and my Cape Dory 36 has a forward head. I must admit, a head at the bottom of the companion way makes way more sense. The forward head is a pain as you squeeze around the sittees, have to make your way forward around crew or gear while under passage or go below with wet gear and have to go forward to remove it. But then there is no perfect boat.
What space do you lose when the head is aft? I am a novice but after tons of research and checking out numerous beautiful boats, the one I bought was perfect for what we desired.
On mine, the nav station, a small berth and galley are RIGHT there at the bottom of the companionway. Which is perfect for making passage and tending to the real worries of "where am I" and "Feed me".
Besides, I have two heads on my boat; one below and the other anywhere the wind is at my back and my butt is strapped to the boat.
The Cape Dory is an outstanding sturdy boat for making passage......not so much for comfort and having parties.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 21:31   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Exactly. I doubt they were asking a skipper to heave to while doing it.
A natural place for a toilet on a boat.
A natural place on a square rigger that doesn't go into wind!
Not so much for a modern vessel that spends a lot of time sailing into wind.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:40   #39

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I previously owned (bought new) a 1988 Hunter 33.5. The boat had a forward V berth cabin with a door. Immediately following aft was a vanity to port and a head/shower to starboard. The main cabin, galley, chart table was next with an aft cabin under the cockpit. The layout was a perfect lake boat for a family of 4, which we enjoyed for 20 years.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 16:32   #40

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

HR 35 Rasmus has a small port side forward head aft of the v-berth and opposite the hanging closet. Door to the head can close off all the above from the saloon and galley. Interior drawing of Hallberg-Rassy 35 - Rasmus

Tags
boat, head, sail, sailboat