Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 11:45   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Sailboat under 40 feet with large tankage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
Caliber 35 LRC. seems to vary a little by year but generally about 100gal water and 100 gal fuel.

actually Caliber advertises 120 gallons for the 35 LRC. the 3 cylinder yanmar could rack up a lot of miles with that
Old 11-05-2021, 16:39   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The Yankee 30 mk 3 that I owned years ago had but 30 g water and 17 gal petrol fuel. We did lots of coastal passages in her and one round trip SF to Hawaii, Ann and I aboard. Did add another ~10 gal fuel for that trip, not to increase range under power but because the only charging source on board was the engine and we used a tiller pilot for steering much of the time. The water was adequate for those passages, 16 days going and 21 returning.

Jim
Old 11-05-2021, 18:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post
Island Packet 35s have 100/50 gallons of tankage per your comment.

Check Mahina Expeditions for ideas.
I think they are last of the breed, good ones fetch quite good price on the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
Our Baba 35 has 68 gallons of diesel and 200ish of water in 3 tanks. Granted the tanks aren’t entirely original. I suspect that the original tankage was similar enough. HC33 is a wonderful boat and would be a great choice for a great many people IMO.

So far we are happy with our baba. So far we haven’t had too much time with it, but it’s low primary stability makes it really feel like your sailing even when there isn’t enough wind to move.
There is a Baba 30 around my area asking for a low price, but it is a much inferior boat in every way aside from tankage.
I actually have an opportunity to buy one of the last HC33 that haven't sailed for 60k as they went to liquidation, but they want cash only and I couldn't come up with the amount on time.
Still kicking myself over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonsail View Post
Swift 33 by Swallow Craft marine of Pusan Korea. Two 90 gallon water tanks and 75 gallons of diesel. 3 were imported into the USA. I have one.
Interesting, raised cabin is nice on a small boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I imagine some older boats would, before watermakers came along. Carrying 100 gallons of water on a 30' boat just sounds ridiculous to me. You can carry 30 gallons + watermaker with a significant reduction of weight.

My 36 footer has 70 gallons and it seems to last forever.
I would definitely like to have more than 30-35 gallons of fuel, and I can do with say 60 gallons of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
We have 95 Gallons of water, but only 20 Gallons of diesel. At .5 GPH that's ~40 hours or motoring at ~5.7 knots. Not bad!
The Seaward looks like an interesting design, a lot of tankage for the shallow water type of boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogin View Post
Beneteau 411's had two water tanks totaling 145 Gallons and 39 gallons of fuel.
I always like the 3 digit series Beneteau, I think they are some of the better build on recent decades, a bit beamy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I thought I was on my own until you posted this. I guess if you wanted to do a one off ocean crossing, but certainly wouldn't want to carry that weight around on a 30ft yacht regularly.

Pete
Yes, but there are people who do liveaboards, but I guess not much of them would do it in a 30+ footer.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:45   #19

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Corbin 39 - 150 gallons water, 130 gallons fuel
Old 11-05-2021, 20:00   #20

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
There is a Baba 30 around my area asking for a low price, but it is a much inferior boat in every way aside from tankage.
I actually have an opportunity to buy one of the last HC33 that haven't sailed for 60k as they went to liquidation, but they want cash only and I couldn't come up with the amount on time.
Still kicking myself over it.
I am a bit curious why you’d think so, I generally think of the HC33 as having nicer joinery, but the Baba certainly has some things going for it as well including engine access. They both seem a lot more similar than comparing an HC33 to say a bene 351 or Jeneau Sunkiss 36.

I know there is a lot of stuff, like whether a person believes a Pullman berth is a good idea. Also the HC33 is in between the baba 30-35 for size. It definitely shows in areas like tankage and privacy. The HC33 and pretty much all of Perry’s boats have fan clubs. There are a great many people who say the HC33 is the most efficient use of space possible and lament ever having moved on.

If you think you may already be falling in that camp, then go for the HC33 and don’t look back. Most things on a boat change frequently enough. Everything from engines, electronics, standing rigging. If you like the lay out of a particular boat - and are willing to do whatever work comes along for it and do any upgrades... The biggest thing you can’t change is the basic concept of the boat. The layout, hull design etc. not saying it’s impossible to convert an HC33 into a fin keel boat - just that even most hardcore boat enthusiasts wouldn’t go that far.

In regards to tankage or compiling lists - I was discussing detailed plans on my boat with a friend as we were doing some work in it. He told me - you need to knock that $#!+ off. You make plans - but when you’re in the weeds things change so frequently your plans never mattered to begin with... or something to that effect.

Being subject to a used market of boats - I would just pick a time range when you’re actually buying a boat - and check out everything within a couple hundred miles at most of where you’re buying it. Then make a decision. You’ll have missed exception boats like perhaps a custom Miller Sailboat with only a handful built. I waited through several exceptional deals. I should have purchased. Eventually my wife said - we’re buying a boat now. We did. The best? No. It should serve our purpose well. It’s beautiful in my mind. That counts for a lot too.
Old 11-05-2021, 23:26   #21

Quote:
I am a bit curious why you’d think so, I generally think of the HC33 as having nicer joinery, but the Baba certainly has some things going for it as well including engine access. They both seem a lot more similar than comparing an HC33 to say a bene 351 or Jeneau Sunkiss 36.

I know there is a lot of stuff, like whether a person believes a Pullman berth is a good idea. Also the HC33 is in between the baba 30-35 for size. It definitely shows in areas like tankage and privacy. The HC33 and pretty much all of Perry’s boats have fan clubs. There are a great many people who say the HC33 is the most efficient use of space possible and lament ever having moved on.

If you think you may already be falling in that camp, then go for the HC33 and don’t look back. Most things on a boat change frequently enough. Everything from engines, electronics, standing rigging. If you like the lay out of a particular boat - and are willing to do whatever work comes along for it and do any upgrades... The biggest thing you can’t change is the basic concept of the boat. The layout, hull design etc. not saying it’s impossible to convert an HC33 into a fin keel boat - just that even most hardcore boat enthusiasts wouldn’t go that far.

In regards to tankage or compiling lists - I was discussing detailed plans on my boat with a friend as we were doing some work in it. He told me - you need to knock that $#!+ off. You make plans - but when you’re in the weeds things change so frequently your plans never mattered to begin with... or something to that effect.

Being subject to a used market of boats - I would just pick a time range when you’re actually buying a boat - and check out everything within a couple hundred miles at most of where you’re buying it. Then make a decision. You’ll have missed exception boats like perhaps a custom Miller Sailboat with only a handful built. I waited through several exceptional deals. I should have purchased. Eventually my wife said - we’re buying a boat now. We did. The best? No. It should serve our purpose well. It’s beautiful in my mind. That counts for a lot too.
I do like HC33 better than Baba 30, since the BB30 is very heavy for it's size and was in every way inferior as well, there is one around me asking for 30-40k that I can knock down further, but HC33 is asking 90k for a 80's model.
I would need to do work on the Baba and like you said it wasn't the boat I wanted.

Yes, I know I wouldn't be using the boat for at least another year if I were to buy now and wasting money on mooring cost only due to the corona restrictions.
Old 11-05-2021, 23:45   #22

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
I do like HC33 better than Baba 30, since the BB30 is very heavy for it's size and was in every way inferior as well, there is one around me asking for 30-40k that I can knock down further, but HC33 is asking 90k for a 80's model.
I would need to do work on the Baba and like you said it wasn't the boat I wanted.

Yes, I know I wouldn't be using the boat for at least another year if I were to buy now and wasting money on mooring cost only due to the corona restrictions.
HC33 is just as heavy for its size no? SA/Disp is actually better on the BB30, the ballast/disp. ratio is higher as well. So I guess I’m just a little confused. Not sure if sailboatdata is steering me wrong here. Ultimately I have nothing invested in either model more than idle curiosity really.

If you want a lighter boat perhaps a bayfield or gozzard 36? It’s really only slightly different still being a long keel, but you know those Canadians and their composites. Make a bit lighter of a boat. They offer some interesting layouts.

Keep your eyes open. I’d be curious to know what you end up with! Cheers!
Old 11-05-2021, 23:53   #23

Quote:
HC33 is just as heavy for its size no? SA/Disp is actually better on the BB30, the ballast/disp. ratio is higher as well. So I guess I’m just a little confused. Not sure if sailboatdata is steering me wrong here. Ultimately I have nothing invested in either model more than idle curiosity really.

If you want a lighter boat perhaps a bayfield or gozzard 36? It’s really only slightly different still being a long keel, but you know those Canadians and their composites. Make a bit lighter of a boat. They offer some interesting layouts.

Keep your eyes open. I’d be curious to know what you end up with! Cheers!
The BB30 sails about the same as HC33, but not as roomier and not as much tankage for motorsail.
I think it have a shorter waterline as well.

Unfortunately we don't have the boat you mentioned in the region, or else I am looking for an OE32 if there is one.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:12   #24

I have a Skookum 34 pilothouse, designed by Ed Monk, and built by SKookum Marine in Pt. Townsend WA. It was built in '78 and intended for transoceanic trips. It has 300gal of SS freshwater tankage, and 120 of diesel, plus a 20 gal tank for the Dickensen stove.
Bronze Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:54   #25

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner

NOT a production boat, but just an example.

My little 34" aluminium Reinke S10 has 800L (211 gal) of water tank welded as part of the hull under the raised settee and 130L (34 gal) of diesel.

This is how I like to see a true cruiser laid out, and with the weight at the absolute bottom of the hull.
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:33   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

My CG 31 has no internal tankage at all-- but I can carry upwards of 100 gal of water in one-gallon jugs. I can wash 'em between fills, if I want. I can fill them a few at a time from a tap onshore; I can recycle old ones, acquire new ones, bring more for a long haul; bring less and use the space for other things. It's a workable option.
Fuel, well, I can carry about 25 gal of gas in the lazarette for the outboard which powers my boat. If needs must I can lash more cans to the deck aft, but I hate doing that. If I have to, I'll buy whatever the locals are using for fuel jugs (my primary is still a 5-gal fabric softener jug), and give them away when I don't need the extra range.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:40   #27

Rather than tankage, what is the range you expect motoring (ideally with preferred cruising speed to get that range)?

Fresh water is a little easier to supplement. You need to consider where the weight will sit but there aren't the safety and odor issues that come with fuel tanks.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 18:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Rather than tankage, what is the range you expect motoring (ideally with preferred cruising speed to get that range)?

Fresh water is a little easier to supplement. You need to consider where the weight will sit but there aren't the safety and odor issues that come with fuel tanks.
I think for an offshore cruiser, 300 miles or more is ideal for something under 40 feet.
Old 13-05-2021, 03:20   #29

Quote:
I think for an offshore cruiser, 300 miles or more is ideal for something under 40 feet.
Our outboard powered Gemini was good for around 250 miles with 36 gallons at 6.5kts. If we slowed down to around 5kts, it was up around 360miles.

Water was only 60gal but if you felt it critical to have 100gal, it wouldn't be hard to add another 40gal.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 07:10   #30

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJD View Post
Island Packet 35s have 100/50 gallons of tankage per your comment.

Check Mahina Expeditions for ideas.
IP35 has 90 gallons of water and 48 gallons of diesel.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat