Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2022, 08:26   #16

Re: Sailboat suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Your plan doesn't match with what my experience says is realistic.

A 37-40' boat for $20,000 is certainly possible, maybe even one which is sailable, But you may not find one which matches exactly to your desired specification. Perhaps you need to be more flexible and look for a boat in good condition even if if isn't exactly what you prefer to buy, or look for your exact preference and settle for more of a project.

Most people spend at least a few thousand dollars on a dingy which you'll need if you live at anchor.

Your budget for upgrades is very low. My experience says that a watermaker alone may cost you $5000, or more when you include the cost, even DIY, of the installation. Same with the solar. Not $5000 but more than you expect. I usually figure whatever you spend on something it is double that to get it finished.
Go ahead with your plan but do it in little steps.
The 20k is a starting point. Most likely budget for a "can go now" boat is 40k. I originally planned 40k as a starting point I should have many many times that in the bank when i retire god willing. The upgrades im talking about ive seen done. The most expensive is probably the hard bimini (cant think of name now) and solar to put on top of it at 10k. 1500-2k for watermaker (again diy). Yes i can live with water tanks no problem but watermakers are >relatively< inexpensive and having a shower every day seems nice... Converting to electric isnt important but can be done with Now with predesigned systems for about 6k .. or like sailing uma did.. for $1400 but im not tied to electric. I think if you check you'll be suprised at how many boats include dinghy's now. Note all of t hose are luxuries not necessities

Ive always planned a MUCH more barebones boat i fix up as you said. But frankly prices just seem to be going down year after year. When i started dreaming of this the thought of non-millionaires owning cats and tri's was laughable.. now it's easily doable. Frankly my big financial worry is how hard marinas screw you guys. Theyre worse than the hardware vendors now. Ty for your suggestions. I need a boat that can sail including bluewater for 40k big enough for me and 2 big dogs basically. That doesnt suck to cruise/live in.

Note: ill definitely take dogs sailing first.. i dont see them having a problem with it as they mostly like sitting on their asses :P
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 08:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariefred View Post
20K? That should stretch to a one way ticket to Somalia, a fast RIB, and a pirate's hat. Then take your pick.
Something for you to read while you sit in the yacht club

Sailing uma bought a pearson 36 for 3k and fixed it up. Id say they put less than 20k total in it including solar and converting it to electric. They sailed the carribean with it for years... then the Arctic. Have you sailed the arctic or just your slip? Sam holmes is sailing bluewater in a 23' boat that cost pocket change and id be terrified of a 3' wave in. Ladyk has a lot of suggestions from 20 to 40k.. and on and on..
Clueless Aeronautical snobs told me id need 50k + 200 an hour and a $500 a month for an airplane. The one sitting in my driveway disagrees.

I try to be nice but in 100% of forums there are a few people who feel the need to tell everyone it cant be done despite infinite examples of it being done. Have fun w that
Old 24-08-2022, 08:48   #18

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

A doable dream, but you are way low on what it will cost to refit a 40-foot sailboat. Not criticizing. It's a common error, particularly for newbie sailors who haven't had to confront reality yet.

The dirty little secret of sailing is that most sailboats, even those used regularly, are not maintained well due to high costs and the need to cover the rent, make the car payment, buy the kids shoes, etc.

I will tell you that almost no boat you see will have good rigging. The strands may not be breaking yet, but it's probably 20 or 30 years old. The reason is that rerigging a 40-footer can cost 10K or more.

Someone who wants to do adventuresome sailing needs rigging less than 10 years old.

Tears will come to your eyes when you go on defender.com and see the prices for electronic gear that many sailors consider necessary, especially when they don't have much experience.

Even routine items such as batteries, running rigging, a decent sail, sheaves, bottom paint and more will set your heart aflutter when you realize the cost of simple maintenance.

Does that 40-year-old diesel need some work, as many do? The cost of parts can be staggering, even when you do it yourself, and even the bill for simple items such as clamps, hoses, etc. can swell quickly.

Lastly, call boatyards in your area and ask a few questions. Will they even allow you to work on your boat? What are the charges for haul and splash and daily fees?

If the boat you're in love with has a thick coat of barnacles, for example, the cost of a new bottom job will eat up all of the money you set aside for the watermaker, solar and other projects.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 08:50   #19

You might want to strap on a sense of humour before you cast off the lines. They can usually be had quite cheap.

I live in the Arctic. And all of my planes didn't cost a penny to buy or own. So far: Aeronca 11AC, Pitts S2B, Extra 230, Extra 200, Giles 202 and Extra 330
Mariefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 08:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
A doable dream, but you are way low on what it will cost to refit a 40-foot sailboat. Not criticizing. It's a common error, particularly for newbie sailors who haven't had to confront reality yet.

The dirty little secret of sailing is that most sailboats, even those used regularly, are not maintained well due to high costs and the need to cover the rent, make the car payment, buy the kids shoes, etc.

I will tell you that almost no boat you see will have good rigging. The strands may not be breaking yet, but it's probably 20 or 30 years old. The reason is that rerigging a 40-footer can cost 10K or more.

Someone who wants to do adventuresome sailing needs rigging less than 10 years old.

Tears will come to your eyes when you go on defender.com and see the prices for electronic gear that many sailors consider necessary, especially when they don't have much experience.

Even routine items such as batteries, running rigging, a decent sail, sheaves, bottom paint and more will set your heart aflutter when you realize the cost of simple maintenance.

Does that 40-year-old diesel need some work, as many do? The cost of parts can be staggering, even when you do it yourself, and even the bill for simple items such as clamps, hoses, etc. can swell quickly.

Lastly, call boatyards in your area and ask a few questions. Will they even allow you to work on your boat? What are the charges for haul and splash and daily fees?

If the boat you're in love with has a thick coat of barnacles, for example, the cost of a new bottom job will eat up all of the money you set aside for the watermaker, solar and other projects.
I know the costs of all of these. Not buying a boat that needs a new mast. If i buy one that needs a new engine ill convert it to electric.. for less than a replacement will cost. There is no sailing in my area.. i live in the mountains. Biggest lakes near me are a mile long at most and calm. Ive lived all over the country (trucker) selling my house and all my **** and taking off in a car or plane (i actually own one) isnt a big deal. I think maybe you should check out the used boat listings. In the 80's i think for 10 or 20k youd get a rotting wooden hull.. not true anymore. I see plenty of ready to sails for 40k.
I do appreciate the advice though youre right. A lot of people thinkn they can just buy a boat and dont realise you may well need a new engine in 6 months or dont survey it so dont know they need all new rigging etc. Im very aware of the costs. As for electronics lol.. GA pilots are spending 100k for glass cockpits.. that you can basically do for the cost of a tablet and a couple new sensors. Or spend 4k for. Or 20k for..

Note im 58. Ive been dreaming of reading and studying this since i was 18.. so i need suggestions and advice but i do know the costs etc etc
Old 24-08-2022, 10:28   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good deals pop up now and then. I'd say just be familiar with a variety of good old boats that match your preferences and keep an eye on your local area craigslist or walk the docks of your local marinas and talk with folks. This site also has some good boats to consider. But in general the more you can spend on the purchase will save you A LOT more in repairs and/or re-fits. There are plenty of folks who spent plenty of cash refitting a boat and then have to sell for pennies on the dollar. If you see a good one, send us a note here and someone here will be able to give you firsthand advice about that particular boat. You'll likely see a lot of boats that are not worth it before you find the diamond in the rough. And keep in mind that as you gain experience and skill in sailing your preferences in boats will change.
I can't think of any particular boat offhand that is in the 37-40 range and $20,000 that would be worth it, but sometimes good boats come up that are in the middle of a big refit, or total paint job, so that the boat is all there but in pieces and just has to be put back together. If you have the time, money, energy, space and tools already then you could more realistically take on one like that.
Personally I'd stick with a good diesel than convert to electric for reasons of practicality, and economics. You could spend a lot of money for an auxilliary that won't get you too far.
https://bluewaterboats.org/

edit: I see you are not near the water right now so maybe just browse possibilities. I don't know where you are but I'd recommend getting a monthly magazine called "Latitude 38" which is for sailors for the San Francisco bay area. It has classifieds which can give you an idea of what boats usually try to sell for. And the articles and letters give you a lot of good info and an idea of what the sailing/cruising community is like.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 10:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Good deals pop up now and then. I's say just be familiar with a variety of good old boats that match your preferences and keep an eye on your local area craigslist or walk the docks of your local marinas and talk with folks. This site also has some good boats to consider. But in general the more you can spend on the purchase will save you A LOT more in repairs and/or re-fits. There are plenty of folks who spent plenty of cash refitting a boat and then have to sell for pennies on the dollar. If you see a good one, send us a note here and someone here will be able to give you firsthand advice about that particular boat. You'll likely see a lot of boats that are not worth it before you find the diamond in the rough. And keep in mind that as you gain experience and skill in sailing your preferences in boats will change.
https://bluewaterboats.org/
I think ill probably buy a little 22 or something and sail it for a month to help with your last line. I dreaded seeing people say that i should do that but theyre right. .
My actual budget is 40kish for a sail away. Im 100% certain your right on the spending more up front. I wont be buying soon just learning. Im also planning on finding the best surveyor money can buy. TY for your advice and ill definitely post any potentials here.
Old 24-08-2022, 15:57   #23

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
I know the costs of all of these. Not buying a boat that needs a new mast. If i buy one that needs a new engine ill convert it to electric.. for less than a replacement will cost. There is no sailing in my area.. i live in the mountains. Biggest lakes near me are a mile long at most and calm. Ive lived all over the country (trucker) selling my house and all my **** and taking off in a car or plane (i actually own one) isnt a big deal. I think maybe you should check out the used boat listings. In the 80's i think for 10 or 20k youd get a rotting wooden hull.. not true anymore. I see plenty of ready to sails for 40k.
I do appreciate the advice though youre right. A lot of people thinkn they can just buy a boat and dont realise you may well need a new engine in 6 months or dont survey it so dont know they need all new rigging etc. Im very aware of the costs. As for electronics lol.. GA pilots are spending 100k for glass cockpits.. that you can basically do for the cost of a tablet and a couple new sensors. Or spend 4k for. Or 20k for..

Note im 58. Ive been dreaming of reading and studying this since i was 18.. so i need suggestions and advice but i do know the costs etc etc
Buy this now

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-267999.html
Old 24-08-2022, 16:09   #24

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I'm planning to go cruising when I retire - hopefully next year - but I am a lifelong sailor and I know a lot about sailboats.

Can you do what you are thinking ? Possibly. Will you like it ? That is a tough question.

Watch some of my videos. My wife and I just bought a 32 Endeavour for 13K. We'll probably put another 13K into her and she'll be pretty darn ready for the Bahamas and maybe more. We talk real numbers.

I don't claim to fully know what I am doing but I do have a pretty good clue.

To cross oceans safely with 2 hounds and enjoy seeing other places - dude, that's a tall order. Your budget may not allow that. I'm just being real here.

But the good news is the Caribbean may be enough to satisfy that itch I know you are feeling.

Talk to us and listen, we'll help you get there.

Old 24-08-2022, 22:43   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Not a bad place to start! May be one of those diamonds in the rough! Better move to MD.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 23:04   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

$20K for a 40ft? Ya, maybe a beat up Morgan Outhouse 41 in Mexico that has been on the hard for 15 years.

New rigging $10k
Dinghy $2k used (since you have dogs, not an inflatable

Bottom job $2k
Newer electronic $4k minimum
Most likely new sails $9k
New foam and upholstery $3k
Engine work $3k minimum
Batteries enough to successfully push a 27,000lb boat more than 50 miles?...$10k

Then the issue of the dogs at anchor...good luck with that.

I would like to know of anyone who had success with an electric motor out cruising for more than a few years. That and the Morgan O/I 41 would just about be the worst boat for an electric motor as they sail like pigs to weather.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 00:46   #27

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

A lot of people dream about sailing around the world. I’ve sailed in a lot of countries but have no desire to sail around the world even though I have a vessel easily capable of doing it. Voyages to some places...yes but why circumnavigation I’m lost on the appeal. But it’s not your plan or your budget that I’m posting about. It’s the two large dogs and anchoring out.
I’ve never cleared dogs in and out of a foreign country but I understand this can be easy or very difficult. This is something worth asking members here.
Keeping two large dogs on a vessel at anchor?
I’m sure this will be a bit more complicated than on land.
Again I hope forum members will comment.
Lastly, electric main propulsion. Again, the complexity and costs makes this nothing we would consider even given our skills and experience. We’ll stick to diesel . Good luck with your plans. Most posters are very sincere and it’s worth mulling over their suggestions as some contain a great deal of simple truths which might help you.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 01:36   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Sailboat suggestions

On a restricted budget , forget about old “ leaky teakies” don’t budget on big ticket upgrades put that money into the basic boat.

Buy a modern as you can standard production boat. That will give you best bang for your buck. It will be airy , have “ relatively “ modern systems , and may come already with things like solar.

40k would get you a 36-38 in good nick

Modern boats will take you anywhere your capabilities as skipper will support, ignore the “ blue water “ list arguments. Almost anything reasonably well prepared will be “ blue water “ capable. Certainly enough for you.
Old 25-08-2022, 03:07   #29

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cdreid Dugong lover is right about electric propulsion. I am struggling imagining a truckie used to unlimited power adjusting to the limits of an electric motor.
I wouldn't knock marina's to much. Some places they are the best option to leave your boat if you want to go land based exploring.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images (22).jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	263415  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 04:23   #30

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis Clipper 311, 31''

Quote:
Your plan doesn't match with what my experience says is realistic.
Fully agree.
Little Song is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat