Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 06:53   #31

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Sailboat or trawler ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Monohulls don't roll over here in Sardinia, Croatia, Greece and Montenegro. Lots of places to hide and stay out of the roll. The trawlers around here still seem to roll, I don't understand why.

I guess it just depends on where the OP chooses to cruise.
Don't think he meant roll over as in all the way over. Were in Croatia too right now have seen a few Monos rolling badly at anchor. I'm sure there's better protected spots

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:19   #32

Make your debut easy. Do not scare your family. Go east not west.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:30   #33

Hi I share your dilemma After 40+years of sailing I have been looking at trawlers for a year between 40K and 200K price wise. The space in a trawler wins hands down and with good planning the trip is feasible I totally agree the amount of time under sail is relatively low When I consider the cost of sail maintenance combined with the diesel costs the fuel costs are not an issue.Myself I would look for a twin engine A sailboat has a diesel auxiliary I want another diesel auxiliary That's me Just yesterday I was a guest on a state of the art twin diesel express cruiser and after a brief lunch break one would not start It was pure luck but I bled the Injector pump and it started but if that was the cause I am very unsure This will be your home . I looked at a Monk with twin 125 horse diesels and it was a beauty I hesitated and lost the deal Good Luck There is an article out there about the Myth of single reliability and it makes many very logical arguments in favor of twin engine instalations
jackj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:42   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Hi,

I would go see the folks at Cooper Boating on Granville Island. They have both sail and power in their charter fleet, so not only can you get good advice, you can try out different boats to see what fits. I've been on trawlers, cats and own a mono and for me, sailing is still the way to go. Once I grow up, I'll switch to a trawler.
bcsete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:53   #35
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The larger boats, such as Nordhavn, have "return to port" smaller engine option for a backup aux in emergencies.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:55   #36

Hey scaramanga with the winters in canada it's not possible to liveaboard on the east coast so this is my only option. Thanks again for all your reply, we start scouting around today for boats but there is very few pickings around vancouver, once renew my daughters passport we can venture further south into Washington and maybe have more choice.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:57   #37

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

Have you looked at motorsailers? You can have the best of both worlds.
I have a 53ft Motorsailer rigged as a Ketch, which has the waterline of a 60 ft sailboat, 16ft wide, 6'10" headroom in salon, with a Pilothouse built over the center cockpit.
Manufacturers brochure says it will go 2000 mile range on diesel at 6 knots, plus you can still sail, but it will not point as close to the wind as a sailboat.
I usually cruise at 8 knots. Max out around 10 knots per the gps. Holds 350 gall water. Stand up engine room, with lots of room for storage. 10kw Generator. Watermaker. Washer/Dryer. Two wind generators. Six solar panels, And best of all for my wife, it does not lean as much as a sailboat.
It usually does not get much respect from either the sailboat or trawler crowd.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:03   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If you haven't already, read "The Voyage of Egret".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:15   #39

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

Why choose? Consider a motorsailer! I did. I love love love my 1981 Lancer 44. It has twin deisels, each get 1gph, 3 sails, inside helm as well as outside helm, a ton of space and windows, super comfy (I'm 6ft tall), only three steps in the entire length. I cruise 7-8 kts under power, have so far been able to achieve 4-6 kts under sail. It's the best of both worlds. Also consider the Nauticat motorsailer
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:16   #40

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I recommend a center cockpit sailboat for the separation of sleeping quarters when living aboard with family. The PNW is an area of high demand and low supply for good cruising boats. Living aboard in the winter in the PNW is not much fun but there are few better places to learn the ropes so to speak.

I also recommend that you charter in the Caribbean with a skipper for ten days. You'll learn heaps and you just may discover that the Caribbean isn't worth the trouble of getting to from the west coast.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A trawler is certainly doable. If you throttle back to sailboat speeds, you won't see much difference in fuel consumption while motoring and surprisingly few sailboat miles are done under sail.

When you factor not having to buy replacement sails at some point, that will likely offset any extra fuel used.

Do be careful when you say trawler. If you see a twin engine boat with a pair of 300hp engines, that may look like a trawler but it likely won't have the range of a single engine trawler with a 150hp engine.
Sorry but the math here doesn't work well. Getting a sailboat with a small diesel inboard runs about .5 ga/hour while a smaller diesel in a trawler will run at least 2 to 3 gph if you run at 75%. Oh, and never mind that a good sailor uses wind power the majority of the time. Replacing the sails usually runs between $3k and $10k depending on what you have/want but needs being done only every 7 to 10 years for the average cruiser. At worst, that is $1000/year or less. As the OP stated he was interested in cruising from BC to Mexico say around 2000 no and assuming he wants to return home at some point, we can double it (even if he does so only once in ten years). That's a lot of fuel! 4000 at 7 mph = 570 hours (roughly). Even at 2gph, that's 1150 at $3 per gallon or $3450 for fuel. Remind you that is all best case scenario which we all know just doesn't happen. For the sailboat fuel costs would be less than 1/10 and possibly better. And the options to sail up, back and elsewhere in between shouldn't increase the cost regardless of time. All that being said, there is an upside to trawlers. More space, comfort and onboard amenities on most (but they too require more energy/fuel consumption. Depending on budget constraints for the purchase, I would consider a larger Catamaran of the water sailing">blue water sailing variety even if it is for coastal cruising.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:30   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Replacing the sails usually runs between $3k and $10k depending on what you have/want but needs being done only every 7 to 10 years for the average cruiser.
$3k, $10k, $25k and up, depending on what boat you have and what you want.
Old 24-08-2016, 09:33   #43

When we hit our 70s we switched from sail to a Grand Banks trawler. Bad mistake. Could not get use to the noise, the smell, the rolly polly ride(even with stabilizers), and the problem inherent with all motor boat with flat bottoms, they do not steer at low speeds but want to wander all over the place.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:39   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Although Grand Banks call them trawlers they really don't have trawler hulls.
Old 24-08-2016, 09:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Although Grand Banks call them trawlers they really don't have trawler hulls.
True, they are relatively flat V hulls rather than the deep rounded bottoms found in deep water commercial trawlers. Virtually all the "yachty" trawlers are just lumbering shoe boxes. Lots of room however.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, trawler