Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 16:07   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Sailboat engine noise makes me nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsar View Post
But going slow with an underpowered engine at max 8 knots makes me feel tense.
Eight knots is not slow. Four knots is slow. The reason you feel tense going 8 knots is that you've spent way too much time on a PWC, and it's ruined you aesthetically.

You can easily, pleasantly, recalibrate your brain by selling the PWC and purchasing a kayak. Don't try to do 24 countries in the kayak--a single country will do. After you've done your country, have some nice sailor take you out so that you can experience eight knots under sail.

It's gonna feel downright speedy.
Old 12-02-2013, 16:11   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Here, try these.

Best noise-canceling headphones - CNET Reviews
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 16:18   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee Ive got an old detroit 471 that make enough noise for 2 engines!! but with the addition of a large amount of lead sheet and other noise barrier material, is almost whisper quite at 1600 to 1800 RPM !! so maybe ya need to slow down or do a little handy work in the engine room !!! Or come up with a better troll maybe cus the answer to this one is pretty self answer them selfs
Old 12-02-2013, 16:26   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

my boat neighbour has a big stinking v8 powerboat - the thing overheated coming under the harbour bridge a couple of years ago and started taking water through some seals, havent seen the thing move since (apart from occasionally nearly sinking on its mooring). my little putt putt is still pushing me along (when the sails arent up), dont feel nervous at all...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:59   #20

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

You haven't heard a noisy engine until you've heard the infamous Perkins 4.108! But that's beside the point...

I've been on several sailboats with inboard Diesels. I also own a powerboat with a Diesel engine that is commonly used on sailboats. Here is some advice to help with the noise...and you don't need to spend a dime!

Diesel engines tend to produce a considerable amount of noise at lower RPM's. As you increase your RPM's, the noise evens out and turns into a hum. There is a point thereafter, where the hum intensifies and the vibrations from the engine become on par with the noise.

Find the soft spot or comfort zone for your engine. If the RPM's are too low, it will feel rough. Raise the RPM's until it smooths out, but don't go above it.

Staying at that point (for me, it's at about 2000-2400 RPM's) will make the ride more enjoyable. I have what feels like the loudest 48 horsepower engine on the planet! I have not yet insulated the engine compartment and have several more projects to undertake before I move in that direction. But finding a comfortable RPM and staying there is one of the first considerations in mitigating noise.

Note: Make sure your chosen RPM is compatible with what the manufacturer recommends for running the engine under load.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 09:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
You haven't heard a noisy engine until you've heard the infamous Perkins 4.108! But that's beside the point...

I've been on several sailboats with inboard Diesels. I also own a powerboat with a Diesel engine that is commonly used on sailboats. Here is some advice to help with the noise...and you don't need to spend a dime!

Diesel engines tend to produce a considerable amount of noise at lower RPM's. As you increase your RPM's, the noise evens out and turns into a hum. There is a point thereafter, where the hum intensifies and the vibrations from the engine become on par with the noise.

Find the soft spot or comfort zone for your engine. If the RPM's are too low, it will feel rough. Raise the RPM's until it smooths out, but don't go above it.

Staying at that point (for me, it's at about 2000-2400 RPM's) will make the ride more enjoyable. I have what feels like the loudest 48 horsepower engine on the planet! I have not yet insulated the engine compartment and have several more projects to undertake before I move in that direction. But finding a comfortable RPM and staying there is one of the first considerations in mitigating noise.

Note: Make sure your chosen RPM is compatible with what the manufacturer recommends for running the engine under load.
Right on with that, although I never thought of my 4-108 as a loud diesel, I loved the sound of that engine! 2400 was the sweet spt on mine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Eight knots is not slow. Four knots is slow. The reason you feel tense going 8 knots is that you've spent way too much time on a PWC, and it's ruined you aesthetically.

You can easily, pleasantly, recalibrate your brain by selling the PWC and purchasing a kayak. Don't try to do 24 countries in the kayak--a single country will do. After you've done your country, have some nice sailor take you out so that you can experience eight knots under sail.

It's gonna feel downright speedy.
and when you first transition to the kayak, the temptation to never travel more than 100 yards in a straight line without starting to do doughnuts might be difficult to fight. Persist though, it's an important part of your rehabilitation.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post

I insulated the engine compartment, and now most noise is a burble from the exhaust. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? Are some silencers better than others? Do they age and become less effective like car silencers?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:17   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailboat Engine Noise Makes Me Nervous

Assuming that the engine is tuned, aligned and operating well, many do use engine room insulation as described above. Much of this noise attenuating material is very expensive. It doesn't work quite as well, but I've had very good results with the firewall blanket material that can be purchased at a performance automotive shop for about a dollar per square foot. This material is often a quilted foil with a fiberglass mesh sandwiched in the middle. I run my Yanmar 4JH3E at about 2200 for about 6.5 knots,- I would not do the 3400 fultime.
Old 13-02-2013, 11:25   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

You can quiet most sailboat diesels even more by adding a small auto muffler to the air intake.
Old 13-02-2013, 11:34   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

keep it simple--the noise of my 4-108 reminds me the fuel tank is small and i need to conserve..LOL

now that it grew a vibration, i will be re aligning it so it will be less vibratory and more functional....gooood engine!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise, sailboat