Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 05:42   #16

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Sailboat Bow Design

Ya, but how good would it sail in the since of stability in ruff seas.
That is one of my concerns and questions
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:20   #17

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, 25.5'

Alright, here I go again. Hope I don't say anything too obviously neophyte... My understanding is that these types of hulls are initially very stable and in fact heel very little. It takes a lot to knock one down, only problem is that once it does get knocked down it's not going to right itself as easily as a typical rounded sailboat hull. If I'm wrong then maybe someone will correct me.

I will say this, the photo of the boat when it was in sailing condition is a very attractive vessel, at least from that angle. I wonder if this was a one-off or is this an actual brand of boat? Any information on that?

stratosailor
stratosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:25   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

she is pretty and has sweet lines and if i had not bought this boat i'd-a been in there fighting withye.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:31   #19

CaptainKJ - Any more info on this boat? What's with the design on the bow? Looks like some sort of Scandanavian motif? Is this an American-made boat or from Europe? Looks like it has a stub keel. Does it have a centerboard? Very interesting design, Captain.

stratosailor
Old 24-07-2011, 06:48   #20

This is the web site

1973 Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It does have a Danish ships registry,,broker has been on boat several times,,,It is unique design but needs LOTS of work as you can see.
Old 24-07-2011, 06:56   #21

danes build good boats. they have to-- is a big bad sea there---and boats have to survive that...if ye can finish her, realistically, go for it!!!! i can hear drool dropping from faces now---LOL--- she is sweet.
Old 24-07-2011, 07:24   #22

Very interesting CaptainKJ, just to quote the ad:

"This vessel was custom built in Australia in 1973. It subsequently spent time in Europe and the Med before sailing to the Caribbean and the US. She is a proven blue water cutter rigged vessel. The hull is fiberglass with an encapsulated lead keel."

This boat is more intriguing all the time. Seems to have a history of blue-water sailing. 52' long too. That's a good-sized boat, much larger than I thought. Note the photos in the ad. The companionway is very offshore. No sliding hatch, just a "bubble" companionway like on the folkboats. This boat was obviously designed for bluewater. Encapsulated lead keel. Very interesting boat. I wouldn't be afraid of this boat. If it's sailed the med and the caribbean and you said it was built in Australia so it may well have done a good deal more ocean-crossing than that, it is obviously a capable boat. Just a neophytes impression.

stratosailor
Old 24-07-2011, 07:29   #23

aussie, dane--still sails across seas--i would do her....
and refitting doesnt take as long as many tend to believe.....or as much money... gooodluck..have fun and see ye out here--
Old 24-07-2011, 08:43   #24

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Some interesting features.
Skeg-supported transom-hung rudder
Sturdy davits carrying backstay.
Full pipe liferails.
Smallish center cockpit, up high.
Hmmmm!
Old 24-07-2011, 09:30   #25

This boat has been for sail for over 1 year that I know of. I can not look at it till October. Do not know if hte boat has crossed the oceans but I assume it has being that it was built in Australia. One of my major concerns is that the balsa core might have gotten wet. If this is the case the hull is worthless. I asked the broker and he assured me that in his opinion the hull was sound and not leaking. There is what looks to be a big dent on the port bow. That will take further looking at. As I can do the fiberglass myself it would be a project. Good hull then it might be worth it. Photos do not look promising at this point. Thanks for all the input.
Old 24-07-2011, 09:57   #26

Looks a lot different in the side view. Just kind of a hard chine boat. Draft looks pretty minimal for good sailing to weather, but "gentelmen never.....'. Wet core issues could be a big problem.... especially if it has done all that sailing off shore. Strange boat fer sure...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:10   #27

if the fiberglass work is straight forward, that can be rectified. i am not a fan of cored hulls, but this boat is cooool...good for cruising, if the fiberglass stays solid. she has been out of water long enough to have dried out core... but use great care in inspecting fo r potential work--other than the dent she appears to have good bones.
Old 24-07-2011, 10:13   #28

Keep in mind very few of our modern sailboats' ancestors had much if anything in way of keels, ballasted or unballasted, and they seemed to get around the world fairly well. Stratosailor I think you're exactly right, an initially stiff boat but once heeled would tend to be a bit tender, the hard chine/slab topsides should help it track well once heeled.

She's an interesting boat, and at that size is going to be both lovely to live aboard and expensive to do so.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:34   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
My old hard chine ketch was quite opposite she would heel to about 25 degrees and nothing would make her go past that. Nit a bad sailor. Very different underbody though. so who knows.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:07   #30

Thanks Amgine. And I agree with CaptainKJ that the cored hull is something to be weary of. I would much rather deal with replacing deck core than hull core. Replacing a rotten balsa deck core has become fairly common-place, and although it is a daunting task, it isn't technically that difficult. Somehow I think it would be a lot tougher to replace hull core though. I've never read anything about anyone attempting it. I suppose it could be done, but it seems like it would be a lot harder and the question arises "would it be worth it". Probably not.

Still, I hope the Captain investigates this boat a little further simply because (selfishly) I would like to know more about it. It's a very interesting craft.

And of course Amgine is right about the expense. This is a big boat. But for the right person, and if it's not too far gone, it might be a real good deal at under 10K for a 52-footer. It certainly appears to have a ton of room aboard. What a live-aboard this boat would be!

Anyway, how ever it turns out, good luck CaptainKJ.

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, he said, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drownded now and again".

John Millington Synge (1871-1909)

stratosailor

Tags
sailboat