Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 11:25   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"
Sabre 38 MkII Opinions

A Sabre 38 MkII is on our "short list" of candidates for our next boat. The one we're looking at has the 5' wing keel. Some questions for anyone with experience on sister ships:

1) How well does this boat sail upwind? Can it tack through 90 degrees? Or does leeway widen that?

2) The rudder seems quite small. Are there any issues in steering the boat?

3) Some reviews find the Westerbeke 33hp engine to be a bit undersized. It does seem so for a boat of this displacement. Does anyone have direct experience with this engine/boat combination? Are we going to have any issues punching through lumpy waves in narrow harbor entrances on windy days?

4) The prop shaft is offset, with a Maxprop fitted. How much prop walk can be expected?

Thanks for any info that can be provided!

--Karl
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:10   #2

Boat: Saga 43
Re: Sabre 38 MkII Opinions

Sabres are good boats but if I were you I would spend some time on one. At the Annapolis Boat show a few years ago (2 or 3 - they all run together) my wife and I were shocked at how small the Sabre 38 really is. The interior is about the same as your current boat. Our Hanse 371 has much more room.
Old 30-03-2012, 18:49   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I looked at quite of few of these before I bought my Bristol. I sailed on a 38 MK II for an afternoon and thought it sailed quite well. I don't remember how it motored, but I didn't notice anything unusual.

I did not like the location of the head and shower stall behind the galley. It takes away from kitchen storage. There were also cheap looking headliners on the boats I saw.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 19:28   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"

Sailorcancuck, I absolutely agree with you w/r/t the Sabre 386. While a beautiful boat, she doesn't utilize space well, much like the Tartan 3800 across the finger pier from us. The MkII seems to me to utilize hull volume better.

Curmudgeon, on the 38 MK II, the aft berth is located behind the galley to port and the head is located behind the nav station to starboard, based on both the layout plan drawing and our pix of the boat we're contemplating. I would think that, if the aft berth is not in regular use, the hanging locker could be readily converted to a pantry closet for the galley.
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 19:07   #5
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
I'm also considering a Sabre 38 Mk II, late '80s vintage. Anyone know of any blister issues? Any other known issues I should look for?

I know the racing pedigree. I'm interested in people's sailing experience on the model. Would you consider it tender? Does it heel excessively or do we give up a lot of performance to sail her upright? The admiral doesn't mind a bit of lean, but we don't want to spend our transits standing on the wall. Our normal sail out to the islands is anywhere from a broad reach to close hauled...

Thanks,

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:35   #6

We sail a 1986 Sabre 30' MkIII... not your 38', but wonderful build quality....as are all Sabres... Understand the MkIIIs used a vinylester resin to avoid blisters....
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:01   #7
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob on OTTER View Post
We sail a 1986 Sabre 30' MkIII... not your 38', but wonderful build quality....as are all Sabres... Understand the MkIIIs used a vinylester resin to avoid blisters....
What exactly does "wonderful build quality" mean? Can you give examples of how yours is better built than a Catalina or other production boat of the same vintage? I'm considering one and trying to figure out why the people want so much money for it.

Thanks,

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:19   #8

Wow, hard to say with finger pecking on an iPad...but hull seems solidly built, quality through hulls, beautiful wood joinery in cabin...I've owned a Catalina 25 at one point....nice boat...so not knocking other boats to tout the Sabres....but the Sabre seems above average for a semi-mass produced boat... Yes, price may be inflated a bit due to pedigree...or perceived pedigree. Very happy with mine...third sailing season.
Old 04-04-2012, 18:12   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob on OTTER View Post
Does it have gelcoat crazing like the majority of the Sabre 365s?

Sabre has decent build quality, but IMHO it's not top of the line. Sabre does have excellent customer service.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:14   #10

Boat: Sabre 425, 42 ft

We had both the Catalina and Sabre on our short list for very different reasons and anticipated usage. The Catalina is a well built and thought out boat and fit our needs and budget but in the end it was about feel-- when we pulled up to the vessel in the launch, did it bring a smile to our faces? I know there is a lot of information on technical aspects of hull design, fiberglass lay up, equipment quality, storage space and so forth -- and this is critical if you are going to drive your boat hard for a long time in blue water -- but really how many folks really truly do this among all the sailors and boats out there? A very small percentage.

There may be aspects about whatever boat you choose that may bug you or may not give you what you expect in terms of performance but you can say that about nearly every boat. If you get excited every time you step aboard in the end isn't that what you are really paying for? Woe be the person that doesn't love their boat -- whatever it is. This is a recipe for heart and head ache.

Oh, and in the end we bought the Sabre and smile every time we step aboard.
BoxerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:44   #11

BOXERONE says it best! And yes, I do have spiderweb crazing...

Tags
sabre