Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 16:14   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Sabre 34 Mk I

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this boat? I'm looking at a 1981 Model.

Unfortunately it has the original Westerbeke Engine which has 2500 hours on it. Not sure how much longer it will last.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 17:08   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Sabre 34 Mk I

I chartered one on the bay. Liked the way she sailed. There was rot at the base of the mast from what was probably a leaky mast boot. Nice boat.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 16:35   #3

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on this boat? I'm looking at a 1981 Model.

Unfortunately it has the original Westerbeke Engine which has 2500 hours on it. Not sure how much longer it will last.
I have an 81 Sabre 34MKl and can truthfully say that she is a wonderful boat. I have the original Westerbeke engine with 1800 hrs and it runs great. If the boat and engine were taken care of, I wouldn't expect any problems.

Dick
Camden Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 16:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sabre 34 Mk I

Said it in your other thread and again in this on.. 2500 is nothing..
I bought a 5yr old ex-charter with near 4000hrs on the engine... the down side of charter boats.. everyone motors everywhere..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 17:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Sabre 34 Mk I

I looked at one a few years ago when I was shopping. It was a "blister baby". Allegedly the diesel had extensive work done, including new injectors and something that would have required pulling the heads. I was very impressed as the mechanic managed to do all this work without disturbing the original paint!.... That is a sarcastic way of saying that he work could not have been done.

Also the bulkhead by the galley had some tab issues. But I don't recall the details. PLEASE note that these were unit-specific details and YMMV.

The hours on a older boat will be high. If they are not, the odds are the hour meter may have been replaced. The boat is 32 years old so if the owner put only 50 hours a year on, that is 1600. IMHO, if she was well cared for, it doesn't matter. One indicator of that will be the oil analysis.

Loved the layout. Decent head room for a guy 6'3".
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 05:43   #6

[QUOTE=Snore;1419842]I looked at one a few years ago when I was shopping. It was a "blister baby".
QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a bit worried about that also. This from a review I read:

"Access for inspection is generally good through the boat and it is rare to find any significant structural concerns although moderate osmotic blistering is not uncommon below the waterline"

Also, I'm still working and this Bristol 27 is really all I need, but it is waaaay old, will not point, is all over the place downwind in these steep, close 6' - 7' bay waves during a Nor-Easter, but it gets the job down.

The interior looks like an old barn, everything needs paint, but it's paid for and if I screw up and it ends up on the beach it's not the end of the world.

I was anchored 60 yards from shore recently when it decided to crank up to 28-30 knots blowing inshore. There were the regular waves mixed in with ocean waves. A joyous night. Next day I was twice as ugly as normal due to lack of sleep, and a few dry heaves while rigging a second anchor.......and it was about 40 degrees out.

BUT, at least now I know a 27 hp Westerbeke with 2500 hrs may still be good for quite a while.................speaking of engines, check out the big 5 hp 4 stroke Merc pushing the Bristol home one morning. 17 miles across the bay most on autopilot..............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01655.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	72516  
Old 31-12-2013, 16:23   #7

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

Not trying to step on toes here, but as for the oil analysis, don't put too much stock in it. I ran a trucking company for 19 yrs. and sent my oil in religiously. A good friend sent oil in to be tested after he blew it up(hole thru oil pan) and all rod bearings mostly gone. Test came back "no changes recommended"!!! Not saying tests are no good, just test is only as good as tester. Some are WAY over-worked. Send in 2 or 3 samples to different sites. Truck repair shops would be good place to ask, see which labs they use. Just a thought.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 16:38   #8

Boat: Vancouver 27

[QUOTE=thomm225;1420207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
"Access for inspection is generally good through the boat and it is rare to find any significant structural concerns although moderate osmotic blistering is not uncommon below the waterline"
Lo and beholden it of me to suggest what another should do, but my boat had moderate blistering when I purchased it. After a few years I decided to have my hull peeled to address it once and for all. In retrospect, it has been a "great experience" having access to the hull laminate. I was able to identify and address a few potential weak spots, including a crack running from the bilge to the gelcoat. Became a small thru hull once the peel was done!

I guess all I'm saying is that if the boat has moderate blistering, it's not the end of the world. You should be able to negotiate the price and, if you actually decide to peel and barrier coat, you'll have a really good sense for what you're dealing with under there.

At any rate, looking on the bright side and staying positive
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:17   #9

[QUOTE=laika;1428159]
Quote:

Lo and beholden it of me to suggest what another should do, but my boat had moderate blistering when I purchased it. After a few years I decided to have my hull peeled to address it once and for all. In retrospect, it has been a "great experience" having access to the hull laminate. I was able to identify and address a few potential weak spots, including a crack running from the bilge to the gelcoat. Became a small thru hull once the peel was done!

I guess all I'm saying is that if the boat has moderate blistering, it's not the end of the world. You should be able to negotiate the price and, if you actually decide to peel and barrier coat, you'll have a really good sense for what you're dealing with under there.

Thanks. I did asked the broker if the boat was in the water. He said it was out of the water and was being blasted to remove ..............here it is;

She is being blasted to remove a build up of bottom paint this winter and is out of the water now so; she's easy enough to view.

This boat had already been epoxy barrier coated btw. This one is a 1980 not the 1981 I was looking at before. This one has 2200 hrs on it's Westerbeke FWC 27:

1980 Sabre 34 Mk I Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 01-01-2014, 14:21   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

[QUOTE=laika;1428159]
Quote:

Please be careful when you edit. The quote you attributes to me was not posted by me

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:09   #11

I guess you could send the guy a PM. Btw you just quoted what he said as me which really isn't the end of the world.
Old 01-01-2014, 15:14   #12

If all else fails, crank up your 5hp outboard, set the autopilot and cruise on in:

Tags
sabre