Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 23:13   #1

Boat: Arcadia 47 - Marcel Subrero
s/v Perception - Interior Gut and Rebuild

Hi guys,

I have a 47' Steel Ketch that I am in the process of rebuilding and getting ready to for some long distance cruising. Launched in 1991, it seems in pretty good shape. The only question when buying a steel boat, that rust from the inside out, would be the spots that you cant see. So I have decided to gut the inside. Sandblast to raw steel, prime and epoxy and rebuild from scratch.

Massive undertaking I know, but at the end of the day I will be happy in the comfort of knowing every nook and cranny of the hull. Also with a rebuilt interior we get to make it our own as there will be four of us sailing off at the end of the day.

She is still in Cape Town so we will be delivering her to Port Elizabeth before the work shall begin.

Cheers,
Mike

A few pics as she stands right now.

aDreamToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:21   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Re: s/v Perception - Interior Gut and Rebuild

That boat has a beautiful interior.

Have you had it surveyed and inspected to see that you do have a rust problem that needs to be chased down to a bare hull? It can be ultrasonic measured from the outside for thickness...

I don't think you could remove and reinstall much of that interior very successfully. If you aren't doing the labor, getting back to that level of fit and finish will not be cheap.

It looks like the trim was done right, with lap joints. Those don't come apart for disassemble very well if glued. Book matched veneers, mahogany trim with all rounded corners...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:37   #3

Hey Zach,

I hear your concern about the rust issue. Problem is I had a full ultrasound done and all plates were 100 - 95% original thickness. But when sanding down for the new antifoul there was a soft spot that was clearly missed! Alarm bells and worry started creeping into my mind. Being out at sea and not being 100% confident in you vessel is a major concern, which I for one will never become accustomed to.

All the work of refitting the interior will be completed myself, except for the sandblasting and epoxy. (I have a mate in the industry). The refit will not be an easy task overall but one I believe it must be done.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-06-2016, 06:02   #4

Boat: 44 footer

Was she thin in the bilge, or above the waterline?

Are you going to sand blast the outside first, and see if and where it blows through so you can localize your interior repairs?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Nice hull. You will have some fun. Enjoy!

Keep us posted know how this goes!!!!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Was she thin in the bilge, or above the waterline?

Are you going to sand blast the outside first, and see if and where it blows through so you can localize your interior repairs?
Just below the waterline. Similar spot on the starboard side. She had been sitting for 2 years in the water with no sailing. I suspect that water collected in a spot and had no place to go.

The interior needs to be pulled either way to suit our needs for 4 people. Although I agree that the finishes are good. It is a pity but has to be done.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-06-2016, 07:27   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

HI Mike if you don't mind telling us all how much did you pay for her?
Have fun yeah !!!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDreamToSail View Post
Just below the waterline. Similar spot on the starboard side. She had been sitting for 2 years in the water with no sailing. I suspect that water collected in a spot and had no place to go.

The interior needs to be pulled either way to suit our needs for 4 people. Although I agree that the finishes are good. It is a pity but has to be done.

Cheers,
Mike
Don't forget to keep a blog, and good luck!
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick View Post
Don't forget to keep a blog, and good luck!
Check out http://www.adreamtosail.com Just started but will post all to there.

Thanks we will need all the luck we get !
Old 10-06-2016, 09:24   #10

Mike,

STOP,
you are taking on a massive project that could turn heartbreaking.
Can you keep your family's enthusiasm going whilst you do it all?
I've done enough work on boats, houses and cars to guess that the time scale you are talking about must be at least one year probably longer.

There are other things you can do.
I would start by having another ultrasonic survey, or better still buy yourself a machine and learn to do it yourself, it's not rocket science.
Once you've found the areas that worry you, can you expose them from the inside and find out why there is corrosion there?
If you need local repairs, expose that area and replate.

Then for the rest of the hull, expose sample areas and see what it looks like. You might end up deciding that you have to gut the lot, but I would put money on it being local only.

Also have you thought about the goop that is sprayed into inaccessible parts of cars, both new and more relevant in the restoration of older cars.
They have exactly the same problem. There are various brands available and a bit of research may give you the perfect bodgers answer.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:41   #11

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Trust you are doing this to keep for a while. I can't imagine that the value would even be close to the cost to do this, even if you got the boat for free. Would be a swhame to trash what appears to be superior joiner work.

If it is not your boat yet, would you be better off finding a boat that already has the cabin layout you want?

Don't want to come off as too negative, but this sounds like it is going to be a project boat, and one hardly ever hears of a project boat that made economic, or time, sense.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 21:04   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Good luck, it is obvious you are not worried about getting your hands dirty. Some of the folks on this forum are.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 22:02   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Check out our blog if you want to see what it is like to gut a metal boat and rebuild everything. We're at 1 year and counting (probably another 6 months). We kept a 3' x 5' bulkhead, the Yanmar engine and a bilge pump switch.... Everything else has been replaced.

Good luck,

Matt

p.s. You bollard cleats are awesome. I've never seen them with integrated rollers like that.
Old 10-06-2016, 23:57   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Nice looking boat. Inside & Out. And as stated by others, it'll be a shame to destroy such a nice interior. Not to mention the 10,000+ man hours, to rebuild it, after any metal work & prep.
As, given that, I'm in the camp of those advocating a Plan B of some sort. But if not, it'll surely be interesting to watch things happen.

Have you done this kind of thing before, as well as having serious chats with others who have? I ask, particularly, as you're unlikely to ever recoup anywhere near what such a rebuild will cost. Likely at best, only a fraction of it.
I'm not trying to dishearten you, only being realistic.

And for anyone interested: There's a very real, no nonsense, article on re-fitting by Nigel Calder below. One of the key comments from it, which always sticks with me is; "If there's anything structural wrong with her, just walk away". Regarding considering perspective boats to purchase for cruising.
That, & the real costs of fitting out a cruiser. A Refit Reality Check | Cruising World

PS: Snowpetrel & or, his blog, has some good tips on re-fitting a steel boat, including stripping some of the metal bare, & going from there.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:22   #15

Good Morning Mates,

Thanks for all the comments. Trust me I have pondered long and hard about the gut and refit option and understanding the work involved it is still the best option that we have. I did get her for a very good price and was always expecting the the amount of physical work that is required to get her back to a fully functional and seaworthy craft.

For instance, while getting her ready for the trip back to Port Elizabeth I was deep in the bilge checking the water tanks valves and one came off in my hand. Flooding out +- 250lt of fresh water. A fresh water valve on a stainless tank! Anything below the sole has not been inspected and corrected for a long time.

The second instance below are a before and after pics of the rudder post seal.

Not to sound over bearing or over confident and I do appreciate all the comments, but as I said before you have to have full faith in you vessel and understand every working and static part inside and out. After all it's not just my sad soul on aboard..

Cheers for now,
Rugby and Rum time,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	125927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3131.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	159.6 KB