Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 11:02   #1
Lt.

Question Rubber-Lined Aluminum ?

Would there be a way to take an alluminum boat hull and put a layer of rubber on the outside of it? I thought of this because I was wondering if that might help eliminate the danger of electrolosis. Now if this is a horrible idea just tell me, because im not very knowledgable on the subject, so i thought i'd see if someone else was. So please, no sligh or smart or rude comments, just answers. But when i say a layer of rubber i mean any kind of rubberish material that would'nt allow an electric current to pass through itself. Sooooo, comments, opinions, answers???
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:34   #2

Re: Rubber lined alluminum?

You'd still get galvanic action on the inside, more if you added electricity.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 11:43   #3
Lt.

Re: Rubber-Lined Aluminum ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Would there be a way to take an alluminum boat hull and put a layer of rubber on the outside of it? I thought of this because I was wondering if that might help eliminate the danger of electrolosis. Now if this is a horrible idea just tell me, because im not very knowledgable on the subject, so i thought i'd see if someone else was. So please, no sligh or smart or rude comments, just answers. But when i say a layer of rubber i mean any kind of rubberish material that would'nt allow an electric current to pass through itself. Sooooo, comments, opinions, answers???
I would like you to use very simple terms, i'm not very knowledgable on this at all
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

No its a bad idea.
Marine grade aluminum does not corrode on its own in seawater.
This is why many aluminum boats do not even have paint on the hull to protect them.
No other boat building material can survive, for long , without a protective coating.

If you apply a rubber coating you would risk crevice corrosion if there was any delamination, or even some degree, of galvanic corrosion from the carbon in rubber.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 12:16   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

There's a way to do almost anything.

But I bet coating the hull with the rubber would cost more than what is needed to protect the hull from the "problem" and it opens up others.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:31   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

Aluminum generates it's own protective coating when left exposed to the air. I just sold my 1961 model aluminum commercial fishing boat that had paint on the house only, the rest was unpainted, no bottom paint, nothing. The only signs of galvanic corrosion were in the fish hold where someone had not thoroughly scrubbed it out leaving a residue of fish slime which is not unlike battery acid. It takes vigilance to minimize the effects of galvanic corrosion, having a charge differential table for the application of different kinds of metals is a great help so that you don't bring something into the mix that will activate the corrosion. Your biggest danger comes from either the vessel next to you at the dock that has a wiring fault and is creating a hot area or the dock finger itself. Of course you have to protect the vessel from your own electrical systems as well. I have heard of, but never witnessed, people putting the spray in type pick up bed liner inside of aluminum boats, and it was reported that it deadens the sound greatly, had I kept my old aluminum fishing boat, I would have tried it, the one downside of aluminum hulls, is you hear every little wavelet when it laps the hull.
Old 24-10-2011, 13:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Aluminum generates it's own protective coating when left exposed to the air. I just sold my 1961 model aluminum commercial fishing boat that had paint on the house only, the rest was unpainted, no bottom paint, nothing. The only signs of galvanic corrosion were in the fish hold where someone had not thoroughly scrubbed it out leaving a residue of fish slime which is not unlike battery acid. It takes vigilance to minimize the effects of galvanic corrosion, having a charge differential table for the application of different kinds of metals is a great help so that you don't bring something into the mix that will activate the corrosion. Your biggest danger comes from either the vessel next to you at the dock that has a wiring fault and is creating a hot area or the dock finger itself. Of course you have to protect the vessel from your own electrical systems as well. I have heard of, but never witnessed, people putting the spray in type pick up bed liner inside of aluminum boats, and it was reported that it deadens the sound greatly, had I kept my old aluminum fishing boat, I would have tried it, the one downside of aluminum hulls, is you hear every little wavelet when it laps the hull.
Aluminium, and some steel, cruising yachts are nearly always constructed with insulation. In the same way fiberglass boats are usually fitted with cored decks (partly for insulation).
Our boat has 2 1/2 inches of foam which means we stay condensation free and sound levels are so low that noisemakers (a flapping flag near the bedroom) is needed otherwise we can sleep at anchor oblivious to the wind rising above 40 +K

Experience on uninsulated aluminum fishing, work boats, or stripped out racing boats, is not indicative, or relevant to the normal, insulated, yachts , which are quieter, and virtually condensation free when compared fiberglass counterparts.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:39   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

Indeed!