Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 11:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Round the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, there was a large board room conference about it just yesterday:

1 sailor refused to come
2 got lost
I wrecked his car in the car park
1 went mad before the start
Mr Rolex abused Mr Volvo about sponsorships.
The Minute Taker wrote fiction
1 refused to leave the room after the meeting.

The only thing ratified was a Sub Committee to report on when the next meeting should be held
Mark

Excellent..!! some up to date info..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:32   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Round the World..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes, there was a large board room conference about it just yesterday:

1 sailor refused to come
2 got lost
I wrecked his car in the car park
1 went mad before the start
Mr Rolex abused Mr Volvo about sponsorships.
The Minute Taker wrote fiction
1 refused to leave the room after the meeting.

The only thing ratified was a Sub Committee to report on when the next meeting should be held

Mark
Are you serious or are you being Mark?
Old 16-12-2016, 12:16   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here we go again..
Polux.. you make a statement about the East to West Circumnavigation being of no value.. and when there's a response to that you throw in totally irrelevant data about West to East 60 footers..
Get a grip lad..
No, I was replying to you saying that was about: "emphasis is on endurance of man and boat.. "

Only saying that on the Vendee Globe is about that and certainly much regarding that than a leisurely circumnavigating around the world is and it is about sail performance and top sailors too.

I did not said it was of no value but only raised doubts about "the value of that record in what regards performance".

There is a new mania about records, the oldest man, the oldest women, the youngest child, the smaller boat...whatever nobody in his right mind would care to do as a sporting event, providing nobody had remembered to do that, and therefore is easy to get a record regarding that.

Not meaning that it does not need work and effort but it does not need a person in question to be a top sailor to do that.

A record should be a serious thing that implies an extraordinary sportive performance and one only attainable by world top performers on the sport field that is related, in this case sail racing, not something that almost anybody that knows how to sail and has the will and determination to do can achieve.

This mania contributes to devalue real sail records and put at the same level top sailors and truly great sail performances and amateurs with a will to do something odd.

Not saying that sailing around the world non stop is not a personal accomplishment but a record should not be only a personal accomplishment but also a global accomplishment, meaning one had beaten the best at doing it.

When someone is doing something odd that not any top sailor had cared to do before (setting a record with a 34ft boat on a circumnavigation) and will not care to do after, where is the global accomplishment that should be an essential part of any record?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 12:49   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Before Knox-Johnson solo'd non-stop West to East no 'vaunted/serious' sportive person considered it.. a benchmark was set and all your 'hero's' now queue up to get on the bandwagon..
No one has yet solo'd non-stop East to West so they'll be setting a bench mark for your 'hero's' to follow..
From what I understand although the record stands at 112days, 14hrs (a 25metre boat )no one has done non-stop.. at least to my knowledge tho' I could be wrong.

As for the Golden Globe.. no one is trying for a record.. its in the spirit of the pioneers of the race

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-12-2016, 13:21   #20

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Do you think that one going leisurely around the world, even if without stopping is harder than racing a Open 60 at speed around the world? When even top sportsman talk about it like this:

"...There is lots of wind, lots of sea and the boat pounds. I have to keep the speed or everything will blow apart.

The Indian Ocean is the devil of the sea. You have to fight every day. It's winter. For three days I have very difficult conditions. It's mentally challenging. we have all disconnected our brains. We are trying to keep everything in one piece and salvage our boats.

It is very hard. We are prepared for this race but you never know what will happen next. It is impossible to have a minimum of comfort. Eating is impossible, we sleep wet. Even to open the door of the boat it's complicated because we go under water a lot.
Soon we will have 50 knots. I'm pretty happy to be with Enda and Rich. It helps to know that we are not alone...

To make things harder the autopilot malfunctions from time to time and I have to go outside with a mask and a hood to reset it. It's freezing cold. .."

Loook mate, those hardships are no big deal, in fact I gather these conditions are normal down this way. I'm a complete novice, started aged 73, only done 2 transtasmans with good sailors running the show, but I've experience most if not all of that. Much worse with regard to failed auto-pilots. Still have sore hands 1 year later from hours hanging onto the wheel.
From what I gather, the big deal for racing crew is handling the personalities on board.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 14:18   #21

Quote:
No one has yet solo'd non-stop East to West so they'll be setting a bench mark for your 'hero's' to follow..
From what I understand although the record stands at 112days, 14hrs (a 25metre boat )no one has done non-stop.. at least to my knowledge tho' I could be wrong...
Yes, you are wrong. Several had done non stop East to West, including a woman (at least one). One French made it some years ago, just for fun, not claiming any record even if to my knowledge was the smallest boat doing it. I don't remember the size but it was an adequate boat for that, meaning narrow and relatively long.
Old 16-12-2016, 14:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Loook mate, those hardships are no big deal, in fact I gather these conditions are normal down this way. I'm a complete novice, started aged 73, only done 2 transtasmans with good sailors running the show, but I've experience most if not all of that. Much worse with regard to failed auto-pilots. Still have sore hands 1 year later from hours hanging onto the wheel.
From what I gather, the big deal for racing crew is handling the personalities on board.
At least in what regarding that they have a big advantage: they sail Solo
Old 16-12-2016, 14:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I stand corrected.. I have found 2, Samantha Brewster, Wilfried Erdmann and a possible 3rd.. John Sanders with 2 continuous E and what sounds like an about face to do a West about..

LIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS
http://members.shaw.ca/taonui/nonstopsailors.doc.pdf

Old 16-12-2016, 15:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Found one more.. Mike Goulding who seems to hold the shortest time at 161days.
Updated Solo Circumnavigators from Slocum to 2010 : Sir Robin Knox-Johnston

Old 16-12-2016, 15:15   #25

Quote:
I stand corrected.. I have found 2, Samantha Brewster, Wilfred Erdmann and a possible 3rd.. John Sanders with 2 continuous E and what sounds like an about face to do a West about..

LIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS
http://members.shaw.ca/taonui/nonstopsailors.doc.pdf
Even kids do West-East in the Southern Ocean: Jessica Watson.

The well publicised racing docos and "hardships" are often about publicity for billionaires and their businesses.
The America's Cup has many of the world's best racing sailors on board but winning is more often that not acheived by whichever billionaire is willing to spend the most.
Old 16-12-2016, 15:25   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Even kids do West-East in the Southern Ocean: Jessica Watson.

The well publicised racing docos and "hardships" are often about publicity for billionaires and their businesses.
The America's Cup has many of the world's best racing sailors on board but winning is more often that not acheived by whichever billionaire is willing to spend the most.
True.. W-E is a downhill run for the most part.. what amazes me is John Sanders.. how did he carry enough food and water for 657days... on a 14metre boat..

Old 16-12-2016, 15:36   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

E-W would be pretty easy... only hard bit I can see would be the Horn.... for the rest just do the ocean passages in the trades.

Once you sort the vittling issues biggest hurdle would be making sure you didn't go 'the full Crowhurst'.
Old 16-12-2016, 15:37   #28

Quote:
True.. W-E is a downhill run for the most part.. what amazes me is John Sanders.. how did he carry enough food and water for 657days... on a 14metre boat..
Thats impressive I reckon you could do it, but could you carry enough grog???
Old 16-12-2016, 15:52   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=El Pinguino;2281412]
Once you sort the vittling issues biggest hurdle would be making sure you didn't go 'the full Crowhurst'.[/QUOTE]

Don't have that problem at sea.. in the city is something else..

Old 16-12-2016, 16:23   #30

These are the solo non stop, unassisted circumnavigation sail records recognized by the International Sailing Federation:

Round the World, non stop, singlehanded, 21600nm,January 2008 on IDEC trimaran (29.8m) skipper Francis Joyon, France, in 57d 13h 34m 6s at the average speed of 15.84K.

Round the World, Women non stop, singlehanded, 21600nm, Nov 04/Feb 05 on B&Q trimaran (22.9m), Skipper Ellen MacArthur, UK, in 71d 14h 18m 33s at the average speed of 12.66K.

Round the World, non stop, singlehanded, monohull, 21600nm , Nov 12/Jan 13 on MACIF (18.29m), Skipper François Gabart, France, in 78d 2h 16m 40s at the average speed of 11.52 K.

Round the World, non stop, singlehanded, woman, 21760nm, Nov 00/Feb 01 on Kingfisher (18.29), Skipper Ellen MacArthur, UK in 94d 4h 25m 40s, average speed of 9.63K.

Round the World, non stop, westabout, singlehanded, 21760nm, Nov 03 / Mar 04 on Adrien (Monohull), 25.8m, skipper Jean Luc Van Den Heede, France in 122d 14h 3m 49s at an average speed of 7.40K.

Around the World Westabout, Singlehanded non-stop Women, 21760nm, May 06 on Aviva monohull, 22.5 m, Skipper Dee Caffari, UK in178d 3h 5m
34s at a average speed of 5.09K.

Around the World, Singlehanded, 40ft Division, 21600nm, in April 2013, on "Quing Dao" (monohull) 12.19m, Skipped by Guo Chuan Cnina, in 137d 20h 01m 57s at an average speed of 6.52K.

Two of those records have very good chances to be beaten by boats actually on the water, attempting it.

Tags
round the world