Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2018, 18:05   #61

Re: Ropes around the propeller winding the engine round (with the "stop" button on)

Some people avoid the whole issue of fin keel/full keel by having no keel at all :-)l In the Salish Sea there can be a great deal of merit in that, if it's cruising you want to do.

Just up the harbour from me "Otter" lies on the hook. Has done for years, since she was sold "out of service" a dozen or more years ago. For unreconstructed "romantics" like me she'd make a simply WONDERFUL cruiser for our waters.

Regrettably she's fitted with twin DEE-troy-it I6s. Overhauling one of those - let alone 2 - would surely knock a huge hole in the retirement budget. Not to mention that she's wood, of course. As I recall, Queen Lizzie called the maintenance cost of these lovely cruisers "prohibitive". If SHE couldn't handle it, I certainly can't :-)! The fuel bill isn't to be taken lightly either!

So a piddling little 30-foot fin-keeler it is, and will have to remain. Ah, well. You can get used to anything ;-)!

Anyway, here is "Otter's" sister "Cariboo":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAG_training_vessels

Don't recall that the 300-class had propeller cages, but I expect so.

And Jim, you'll be glad to hear that the "Orca" class that succeeded the 300s are based (vaguely) on the Ozzie "Pacific" class. I'd like an "Orca", but at Can$12 Million (after Government Discount) it simply isn't on :-)!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 19:10   #62

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Ropes around the propeller winding the engine round (with the "stop" button on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I noticed a couple of navy deflatables recently with steel ring cages forward of the prop - anyone ever tried running something like that on a sailboat? Only disadvantage i can see would be a little bit more stuff dragging in the water, but it might keep ropes and debris clear of the prop...

Cage as used on a Gulf of Maine/Eastern Canada Lobster boat
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobster cage.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	171888
Old 16-06-2018, 21:45   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Cage as used on a Gulf of Maine/Eastern Canada Lobster boat
Attachment 171888
A serious cage indeed... and wow, that prop has a LOT of twist in the blades! Wonder what the rationale behind that might be?

Jim
Old 17-06-2018, 02:06   #64

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A serious cage indeed... and wow, that prop has a LOT of twist in the blades! Wonder what the rationale behind that might be?

Jim

When you try to transfer 850hp to the water with a relatively shoal draft,you need some pitch.
Old 17-06-2018, 06:21   #65

Lovely video :-)

Weather Oar Knot has more than two and a half times the horsepower of the 300 series YAGs, thus the swept area of the props needs to be two and a half times as great and the diameter commensurately greater. To maintain pitch along the blade length, the twist obviously needs to be greater than we yotties are used to looking at.

YAGs were good for 10 knots on a good day. Lobster boats do 30. That, and the difference in RPM, obviously affects the dimensions, and therefore the appearance, of the props as well.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:44   #66

Boat: 1967 Acadian Yawl 30'

A late addition to the discussion. Wrapped a rope on my prop last summer while in reverse,and tried to get it off going forward, but without shutting off the fuel. Not very successful as it just wrapped the other way and tried to pull my crew overboard at the same time. With fuel shut off and just using the starter, probably would have worked fine (will remember that for next time!). Did finally get if off using a boat hook and some colorful language! Fortunately it wasn't wrapped very tightly as had been idling slowly when it wrapped, and we noticed it right away.
Fundy Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:10   #67

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy Sailor View Post
Did finally get if off using a boat hook and some colorful language! .
LOL that usually works well (I`m told) …
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, propeller, rope, wind