Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 13:27   #1

Roller Boom ?

is this a roller boom? if so how do it work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve 063.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	22104   Click image for larger version

Name:	steve 065.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	22105  

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You stick a handle on the bit sticking out by the gooseneck and crank... this rotates the boom and winds the sail round it as you lower the required amount...
Mainsails set very poorly with this system... baggy bellies... go slab reef

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You stick a handle on the bit sticking out by the gooseneck and crank... this rotates the boom and winds the sail round it as you lower the required amount...

is it usefull...or is it total junk?
cheers
Old 20-12-2010, 14:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Some like em... I hate them.. Oh... before you start winding remember to disconnct the boom restrainer... must confess tho'... for storing the sail its great, no fighting to tie the flakes, all tightly rolled up n neat
Got one on the Corribee... I slab reef...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:41   #5

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
I had one on a former sailboat of mine. It was a pre-cursor of the 'in-mast' furling so popular now. It has the advantage of being quick and highly variable in the amount of sail being set. I think the reason it never caught on is just as boatman says: never really set the main right. Having said that, I used it a bit and it worked after a fashion. However, I wouldn't want to rely on it and I think the short answer is: it's junk .
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:57   #6

Having a roller furling boom on my 1967 Pilot Boat has been great. I had to make new sails anyway, and being aware of the lack of proper sail shape with the furling/reefing boom, I had the sail maker build the sail a little flatter. Never once had a problem. Great idea with the correct sail. Sailor Simon
Sailor Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
They caught on and were the typical reefing system in the '40s into he '60s. Never did figure out why, though. The reefed sail with one of these systems is a nightmare. There is always a big bag in the middle and the leech is bar tight. I had the system on my first boat and ruined the main the first time I reefed. Trying to get any useful drive instead of healing moment from the main stretched the leach. It was not easy to roll in a reef and definitely not fast. You physically had to haul the leech/foot aft as you rolled the sail in to cut down on the center bag so it took at least two people to set an at all decent reefed sail. Some people resorted to throwing life jackets and any other junk they had into the middle of the sail as it was rolled to try and keep the bag out of the sail.

Slab reefing, a throwback to an older system, is just so much easier to set and easier on the sails. Roller reefing was an invention that really had no reason to happen.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
They caught on and were the typical reefing system in the '40s into he '60s. Never did figure out why, though. The reefed sail with one of these systems is a nightmare. There is always a big bag in the middle and the leech is bar tight. I had the system on my first boat and ruined the main the first time I reefed. Trying to get any useful drive instead of healing moment from the main stretched the leach. It was not easy to roll in a reef and definitely not fast. You physically had to haul the leech/foot aft as you rolled the sail in to cut down on the center bag so it took at least two people to set an at all decent reefed sail. Some people resorted to throwing life jackets and any other junk they had into the middle of the sail as it was rolled to try and keep the bag out of the sail.

Slab reefing, a throwback to an older system, is just so much easier to set and easier on the sails. Roller reefing was an invention that really had no reason to happen.
I wonder if the boom was deliberatly steem bent exactly for the reasons you mentioned??? see the curve on photo...other sailors said that wooden boom dont usualy bend this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve 064.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	22107  
Old 20-12-2010, 15:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Simon View Post
Having a roller furling boom on my 1967 Pilot Boat has been great. I had to make new sails anyway, and being aware of the lack of proper sail shape with the furling/reefing boom, I had the sail maker build the sail a little flatter. Never once had a problem. Great idea with the correct sail. Sailor Simon

I read on how practicle a roller furleur is when comming in or out the marina...can a roller main sail be used in the same manner?

at present my boat is enginless and I hope to keep it this way.
Old 20-12-2010, 15:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I am in the process of buying a choey lee 27 with a similar boom systhem...this is a project boat that will keep me occupied next year...its also my dream boat...thats why I asked if it was a roller boom...dang boats are addictive.
cheers
Old 20-12-2010, 15:48   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I read on how practicle a roller furleur is when comming in or out the marina...can a roller main sail be used in the same manner?

at present my boat is enginless and I hope to keep it this way.
I had one on my pearson vanguard. It worked, sort of, but it's not the same thing as a roller furler. If you try to roll the entire mainsail onto the boom you'll be cursing and cranking for 10 minutes and the sail will look like crap.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:01   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
I wonder if the boom was deliberatly steem bent exactly for the reasons you mentioned??? see the curve on photo...other sailors said that wooden boom dont usualy bend this way.
It's for stb tack only.
Old 20-12-2010, 16:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It's for stb tack only.
Hey I knew that!!
Old 20-12-2010, 16:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I had one on my pearson vanguard. It worked, sort of, but it's not the same thing as a roller furler. If you try to roll the entire mainsail onto the boom you'll be cursing and cranking for 10 minutes and the sail will look like crap.

yes iv seen them on vangurds...this one may have been canibalised on a pearson...thanks for the input

cheers
Old 20-12-2010, 16:53   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
My CAL has an internal roller boom (Stowboom).. it works fine but the thing needs a good shot of silicone from time to time inside, and it is imperative to hold tension on the halyard so the roll is tight, or it won't all fit