Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2021, 17:28   #16

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler
Re: Rodents eating holes in sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapult Mike View Post
Years ago, I used to tie up on the Paseo in Palma de Mallorca (t was free then!). They had a rat problem. Big, smart, urban rats that weren't afraid of people. We would tie up stern to and the rats would run up the mooring lines like they were on an interstate highway. Someone showed my how to put rat guards on the lines. You take a plastic bottle, like for Clorox or something, and cut the bottom our of it. Run the mooring line through the neck with the open end facing away from the boat. It will be shaped like a funnel. They worked pretty good. If the lines are slack, or the wind blows hard enough, the edge of the bottle will touch the line and the rats can climb over. But they were cheap, and definitely helped.
I remember the Rats of Palma too. I lived aboard my Baltic 51 in Mallorca for three years, cruising and chartering in the Med, Adriatic, Aegean, Mamara and Black sea. Just prior to the EU.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 19:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Had squirrels eat my mainsail in New Bern, NC. And we had rats get on the boat while in dry storage in Grenada. Neither one was good, the rats were worse.

I listened to a webinar on sails recently. The sailmaker started the video talking about rodents. He claimed that rodents are the most common cause of sail damage.

We have a hunting cabin. Moth balls work pretty well for both mice and squirrels. Now BEARS, they love the pink anti-freeze, every time we had some stored outside, like in a Coleman cooler, they would find it and we would find empty bottles with tooth marks. And they either dump over the water barrels or they try to climb on the roof.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 08:13   #18

Lightbulb Re: Rodents eating holes in sails

Like most questions, this has a simple solution: Take 2-3 empty soda/beer cans. Thread them on your lines end-to-end a bit loosely. Place a clamp in front of the lead can and behind the last can, with just enough room so the cans can spin. Hopefully, you can guess the rest.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 12:53   #19

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Like most questions, this has a simple solution: Take 2-3 empty soda/beer cans. Thread them on your lines end-to-end a bit loosely. Place a clamp in front of the lead can and behind the last can, with just enough room so the cans can spin. Hopefully, you can guess the rest.
A rat log-rolling contest! Sound like fun. You know, the list of fun things you can do with rats is pretty short.
Old 30-05-2021, 15:02   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good one, Mike!
Old 30-05-2021, 15:25   #21

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Dammit, apparently I am getting microplastics in my meat and fish and now rodents?
Will the world ever have a clean source of food again
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode, sail, sails