Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 15:21   #76

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Robert Perry 47 Taiwanese Built

Boats seldom make economic sense so don't worry about the economics of it. If you bought a new 47 foot anything for $500k you'd be selling it for a $200k loss before long. The issue, raised many times, is this a project you want and will love to do? At 47 feet it will take years to get truly ready. I once did a 1949 38 foot Kettenberg with lots of help ($$$). It was in good shape when I bought it and great shape when I sold it for what I paid for it. Had a ball doing it.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 16:40   #77

Hi All,

an update for everybody,

SVElizabeth, unfortunately no I have not sailed on this type of yacht.

It never ceases to amaze me how sellers of yachts misrepresent things and frankly it annoys me.

In an attempt to arrange an inspection I sent three emails over the last week to contact the owner, he finally replied with a text and I replied trying to ask a few questions and his responses were very limited. So I sent a text saying I wanted to have a quick conversation...... no reply for 3 days and finally he leaves a voicemail message saying Friday or Saturday is good. So I send him a text saying how about Friday.... No reply for 24 hours, send another text on Thurday arvo saying are we good for tommorow, takes 2 hours to reply says ok, I ask him for the address and he tells me it is 1.5 hours drive from the suburb listed on the add, so I tell him thats a problem.He apologies and says can we work out for another day.

Send him a reply saying at work atm are you available Saturday and I will call this evening. 1 hour later he texts back and says he might be available Saturday . Pissed off now I ring him... phone goes to message bank. Ring him again that evening phone goes to message bank. Next morning 9am get a text saying saying can we confirm for tommorow. Really pissed off now so I hit him with a text saying how bout we save both our time, I have done lots of research, (was very informative watching chainplate videos on you tube) consulted my advisers lolol and if the hull is sound I will give you 10,000 AUD..... No reply, Havent heard back?

I mean what is wrong with people do they want to sell or not? He will discover what is worth, in time. I would like to thank everybody for arming me with the right information your advice has been priceless and this forum is an excellent resource, thank goodness for the internet.
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 16:47   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
There is a lot of wisdom in the previous pages.
My take being around 3 years into a 49foot Taiwanese boat refit. Im also an Aussie Aircraft engineer.

Its basically worth nothing but just so the owner can walk away with some dignity. Yes the ad smells, but thats how most read.

I have made a career out of working in the places and jobs very few wanted to do.

You know the old saying about if it flys, floats etc its going to cost ya.

This rings so true for me, too many years working on yellow aeroplanes in the bush somewhere, with suspect drinking water and cranky chief engineers. Thanks for the post.
Old 28-12-2018, 18:20   #79

Remember if it’s work get paid for it. This boat sounds like work. At least the owner.
Old 29-12-2018, 07:20   #80

It's probably a Tayana or a Nan-Tai as both are Bob Perry designed boats built in Tiawan in the late 70's and early 80's. Heavy duty and well built with lots of head room and nicely carved interior doors. Things to look at replaceing would be all the rigging, winches (usually under sized), replace hatches unless you like leaks, remove teak deck and replace with anti skid surface. If hull has no blisters, sand and apply West System Barrier Coat at least 3 coats, then bottom coat twice. Each time a different color bottom coat. Replace stove and install new refrigeration. I would recommend replaceing all steering cables and install new bushungs.
Do not want to discourage you but I had a 37' Bob Perry disigned Cutter Cruiser (loved it and sailed from NY to Brisbane, Au. To make boat liveable and safe, 20 years ago it cost me $90,000 USD doing most of the work myself.
My advice, buy a boat already fit for your needs and enjoy the sailing life and not waste all the good times you could be having working on something that will take a couple years of your life.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 00:38   #81

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Went to look at this boat today and it was a peice of junk. All the deck was like walking on marshmellows and the interior was basically growing and rotting away. Anything under teak moved up and down about an inch. Some bulkheads were rotted from floor to ceiling. The roof had rotten cores everywhere, and bare fibreglass was hairy and growing. The chainplates were covered in some sort of coating and dripped with corrosion. The masts and booms were bubbling with corrosion and every rope was rotten. You could give me $30,000 and I still wouldnt touch this boat.

An educational day, my wife learnt how much space she will get in 47', and I learnt about ******** ads.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:06   #82

Wonderful news really. It made the decision easy for you. The tough ones are the ones that could go either way. Keep looking. You'll find your dream boat.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:32   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Good job, you learned a bunch. Back a page or two was a similar Perry for sale in the US for $48,000.

Now if your Wife rally liked the interior then you might want to start looking for other Perry 47’s. That boat in the USA might not be such a bad deal. But then again, I personally don’t want team decks.

The main thing is you learned some stuff.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 10:47   #84

Boat: Perry 47 Ketch 1981
Send a message via Skype™ to surazo

Hi, after finishing the work of restoring a Perry 47 that I had known for many years and believed to know its status. I had been on land for 5 years and the summary is that I finally ended up in a complete reconstruction. I spent 2.5 years and a lot of money The big problem is that the years pass the bill and finally the decision to have a blue water goes through security and that makes everything review and work fiber, electric, motor, ponds, instruments, ropes, huinches, engines, candles , etc, etc. In my case it was a more emotional decision than rational, because my children learned to navigate in it and I had enjoyed it a lot too.
If that is your case, go ahead but prepare for the despair and anguish of time and money, otherwise there are many opportunities for a sailboat already rebuilt at a low value.
surazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Taiwan