Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 11:25   #61

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Robert Perry 47 Taiwanese Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
What is a Lehman? (And yep I did check google and it wasn't any help) Thanks
Marinised Ford truck engine.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Dorset/Dover_engine
Old 25-12-2018, 11:30   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
What is a Lehman? (And yep I did check google and it wasn't any help) Thanks
Ford.....

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 12:48   #63

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I think your estimate is a bit high, but that all depends on the actual condition and how much work you’ll do yourself.

Is the deck ok? Has it leaked through and destroyed the interior or does it just need a freshen up?

How are the elects? Was all the wiring tinned or has it coroded?

What’s the steering, plumbing and systems like?

This can be a good project but you have to be realistic and honest with yourself. I took on a cheap steel 43ft ketch that consumed 6 years of my life, along with well over £100k and a relationship. Great project tho but I’d never do it again. Now with all those lessons learned I’m onto another project, but have gone into it eyes wide open. Some issues have still come up, but that’s the nature of it!
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 13:57   #64

Wow, some of these comments are......Hmm, best I not say.

Being one who has taken a 39 ft sailboat down to bare hull, no deck, no bulkheads to a fully operational, beautiful blue water boat that I literally have been over every square centimeter (metric right?) of, I can say what you are looking at doing is not that hard.........for the right guy.

A lot of folks couldn't get started...never lone finished if their lives depended on it. Best not to be one of those if you are considering this boat.

Steel hulls have issues too, and there's an absolute multitude of fibreglass boats been all over the world just fine...and will continue to be so.

The asking price is high....no doubt about that. I think the only thing every comment has in common is that not one would disagree with that statement.

Do not rush (duh), take your time, understand very carefully what this boat is.....and if you feel you are capable....move forward.

To "run away" is just being closed minded....you will learn nothing.......and thats a sad way to be.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 14:20   #65

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

With any boat how soon do you want to sail and how much time do you want to spend fixing?
Old 26-12-2018, 01:58   #66

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Wow, some of these comments are......Hmm, best I not say.

Being one who has taken a 39 ft sailboat down to bare hull, no deck, no bulkheads to a fully operational, beautiful blue water boat that I literally have been over every square centimeter (metric right?) of, I can say what you are looking at doing is not that hard.........for the right guy.

A lot of folks couldn't get started...never lone finished if their lives depended on it. Best not to be one of those if you are considering this boat.

Steel hulls have issues too, and there's an absolute multitude of fibreglass boats been all over the world just fine...and will continue to be so.

The asking price is high....no doubt about that. I think the only thing every comment has in common is that not one would disagree with that statement.

Do not rush (duh), take your time, understand very carefully what this boat is.....and if you feel you are capable....move forward.

To "run away" is just being closed minded....you will learn nothing.......and thats a sad way to be.
Exactly! If you can use the boat and go for the occasional sail while working on it, that’d be an ideal situation. I finished my boat and went sailing down to Portugal on it... upon returning to the yard two years later tho, I noted there were a lot of project boats still there that will likely never leave. Be realistic with this one and keep asking questions. A lot of us have been in your position and are more than happy to help with info!

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 07:17   #67

I agree with all of the comments above, but having almost bought a Perry 47 myself, I have a question: have you sailed on one?
SV Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:13   #68

Boat: Beneteau First 405 40ft

Here's a Perry 47 CC that should give you an idea of the market for the boat.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...47-cc-3241404/
Toujours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:42   #69

It feels like I just an in the finishing stages of what your thinking about....

So this is what I did.....

Get a survey, a very detailed one....

Make lists of absolutely everything that is wrong and needs replacement/repair…. spreadsheet works well

Do the research..... how much is it all going to cost (parts)
Time …… make your best guess and then double it

Add all your time to the spreadsheet with a reasonable price per hour

Figure out the projected costs ….

Drink a bottle of single malt with a couple of sailing buddies while they help adjust the numbers and time projections …… then decide

If your thinking your going to end up with a good deal, you may be doing it for the wrong reason....

If you want to have a vessel that is build to your liking, where you know and are responsible for all the systems and is truly your own creation.... then just push GO
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:54   #70

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Elizabeth View Post
I agree with all of the comments above, but having almost bought a Perry 47 myself, I have a question: have you sailed on one?
There is a lot of wisdom in the previous pages.
My take being around 3 years into a 49foot Taiwanese boat refit. Im also an Aussie Aircraft engineer.
I bought mine for $15k. Is and was floating and suposedly not far from being ready. I heard other boat owners throwing figures of another $15k to get her up to scratch.
The other boat owners were telling me she was good and solid and a good price.
We have to keep in mind their perceptions of what is acceptable.
Well Im keeping a pretty close track of what this costing, being partial to spreadsheets. So far just nudging the $100k mark.
Mine had been sitting for 5 years. Someone mentioned that after 3 years sitting they need everything. I reckon thats about right.
Negative value was mentioned. This is an accurate assessment. A boat owner that needs to sell is sick of spending money, yard fees, or whatever. After 3 years of not being used they change from an 'asset' to a liability.

My thoughts are if you want to take it on, fine (for the right person). But honestly mine wasnt worth what I paid for it and I would say this one is worth less. I would think $5k might be reasonable. Its basically worth nothing but just so the owner can walk away with some dignity. Yes the ad smells, but thats how most read.

If you want it, realise what a time comittment it will be and make a low offer. You dont pay for potential. Its not your fault this boat has ended up in this state of disrepair. This owner will either will be more realistic or you save yourself lots of time, effort and money.

Yes I also agree these projects arent for most people. The same as building a house, renovating or whatever. Most people dont want to sink that much of their life into something.

I have made a career out of working in the places and jobs very few wanted to do.

I went into mine thinking I was going to replace everything and it would cost around $200 getting it thr way I want, with me doing most work and spending a lot of time scrounging.

To give you some idea, I am maybe half way through mine.
I have done chain plates, new engine, watermaker, replacing rigging now, hauled and done bottom job.
I have bought a lot of the big ticket items.
But still have electrics, sails, refrigeration, heads and much more to still buy and do.

That looks to a bigger project than mine. Which take it from me is big enough.

Being in the yard may be a bonus in some ways as more, and faster work can be done in yards.

In my limited experience there is litteraly an inmumerable amount of this sort of boat 'deal' in every yard and harbour globally. You dont have to look or ask too far to find them. My boat neighbour has 'aquired' many boats from people renting moorings from him. Then they stop paying him, loose interest and never come back, but give him their boat to cover their costs they racked up with him. To them its cheaper than keep racking up costs. This is a very common story, or variations of this theme. Some he has sold on, some he has fixed and chartered. But I would say he is not really ahead with all this as its always hassel, lost money.

Realistically most mid 40+ seaworthy boats in good condition, set up the way you want it, comfortable etc are going to be $100+. So if you want to be on the water sooner than later.
Or you can do the sweat equity, installment plan method.

Even the $100k will need lots of playing with to get it how you want it.

Overall mine is a big project. But Im still in there plugging away and mostly dont regret it. Although some days are testing.

You know the old saying about if it flys, floats etc its going to cost ya.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:03   #71

Boat: Atlantic 57

At the risk of beating a dead horse - the problem with refitting a Taiwanese boat of this vintage is that you will wind up fixing not only the depredations of time, corrosion, water penetration, etc., etc. - but you will also wind up fixing much stuff the original builder did wrong.

The key to a successful refit is to only, ever, without fail, refit a boat that was originally built to the very highest standards.

I understand the pleasure of refitting, but this is a boat to run away from.

My $0.02
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:03   #72

Boat: Liberty 458

Your estimate of cost seems reasonable. If you can get those boys productive then your plan is alao reasonable.

If you can get the boat somewhere rent free and you have some space to store all the dismantled systems and do work I personally would consider it.

Do you have a decent workshop?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:15   #73

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Elizabeth View Post
That's a very good question, but like most I doubt many have really sailed a boat before purchasing. A sea trial doesn't really cut it. Then throw in an older used boat w/not many around, the chances of really sailing it before purchase is slim.

We just sailed/helped deliver a boat (1,100 nm ocean miles) that was on our "short list" and didn't like it for our intended purpose. Was glad we did but again not normal for this opportunity and most people learn to live w/the compromises.

There was another CF thread about allowing someone to go out on a test sail of their boat before purchase and if I recall correctly most would not allow it to be done as they thought the purchaser was looking for a free ride. I myself wouldn't even buy a boat w/out a good sail and any boat we've sold we are happy take people out to sail the boat before purchase.

So SV Elizabeth, did you extensively sail the Perry 47 before you almost purchased it?

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:02   #74

Boat: 1984 Jeanneau Attalia

She may be a future beauty.....BUT.......it will be twice as hard as you think, take twice as long, and will cost twice as much!!! Don't do it......ask me how I know!!!
quiesence65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 13:07   #75

I don't think we have heard back from Metal Boat yet about whether he has sailed one, but here is my point:

I fell in love with the look and layout of a Perry 47 when we were looking for our cruising boat 10 years ago. We made an offer on one in mostly good condition, and it was accepted, pending sail and survey. After a day on SF Bay with lovely 15-18 knots winds, in which she just wouldn't GO, we reconsidered.

We ultimately purchased a Peterson 44 (yes, after sailing on a couple of them), and have been very pleased with the boat. Like others in this thread, we have put a lot of effort and $ into her over the years. I'm one of those guys who BOTH wants to work on my boat and actually go sailing We spent the last two years on a 9000-mile cruise on the North and Central American west coasts, the Caribbean and the Bahamas. Sailing performance is important to us...we wanted a boat that is:
1. attractive
2. comfortable for two couples
3. strong, seakindly and safe
4. fast, and able to go to weather at a respectable angle when that is required

If we hadn't test-sailed the boats we considered (or at least their sister-ships), we would not have bought the right boat for us.

Hope that experience is helpful to you, Metal Boat.
SV Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Taiwan