Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 11:45   #1

Boat: None
reviews on this Beneteau 350 please.. Considering making an offer

Ive recently come across what looks to be a decent deal. It's in Grenada which presents its' own challenges. Looks like there is a two year old survey that I'm waiting to view but would like honest opinions on this vessel. Why might be missing or what might they have left out I should be asking. I know these are very general questions but any thought will certainly be of help.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list..._id=26784&url=

Thank you in advance

Dan
Danvrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 10:57   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: reviews on this Beneteau 350 please.. Considering making an offer

May have been in charter service, (water tankage, showers...!!) so could be quite tired. Rebedding keel and changing out the stuffing box might indicate unfortunate encounters with real estate. "Liners checked and reinforced" also points to that possibility. Look for damage in the floors - but they may not be visible because of the liners. The asking price may already have taken these issues into account.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 21:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
May have been in charter service, (water tankage, showers...!!) so could be quite tired. Rebedding keel and changing out the stuffing box might indicate unfortunate encounters with real estate. "Liners checked and reinforced" also points to that possibility. Look for damage in the floors - but they may not be visible because of the liners. The asking price may already have taken these issues into account.

We’ve gotten some additional info on the vessel if you’d be willing to take a look and present any additional thoughts that would be appreciated. If you send me your email I’ll forward you the content? If you have time
Dv
Old 23-08-2018, 03:02   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Subject to a structural survey, looks like it’s in pretty ok condition for the age and price. You’re going to want to install hot water, I’d guess, and the electronics are a bit short, and the sails look tired (no mention of replacement date so presumably due now). Add on a new start battery and you’ve got a boat there for a reasonable price. But is it being in Grenada worth it for you? Is it a Beneteau in particular you’re looking for?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 03:25   #5

Boat: Victoire 1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrgs View Post
It's in Grenada which presents its' own challenges. Looks like there is a two year old survey that I'm waiting to view
Depending on your plans, buying, getting a new survey and getting the boat home will add up to extra expenses that may make it less of a deal ...

Just out of curiosity: a Bene isn't a "rare find" so not sure it's worth the extra challenges and cost?

You can tell only so much from an ad, and the posters above have mentioned what I could think of already
syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 11:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

Earlier I found a Bene that looked great in YachtWorld and was represented as “no expenses spared” excellent condition. Instead of flying down to see her, I secured a local surveyor and had the survey done first. Glad I did - the engine was a pile of rust (very strategic photos), the rigging was shot and she had hull delamination. Told the surveyor to not bother writing it up which saved some cash and was much less expensive than travel and expenses going there myself. The Caribbean is hard on boats... actually had two Caribbean boats fail survey before I finally found my dream boat (and not down there!). Good luck and I hope it works out great for you!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 17:34   #7

Thank you for all your responses. This forum has become invaluable for how the community comes together and assist each other. as you might have seen John t Had a connection and Ive emailed her and am waiting for a response. All of your input has been great and I am taking it all under consideration. I made a fairly lowball offer so it will be interesting to see how they come back.. It will all depend on how she looks in person..But hey worse things have happened than someone finding a bit of a deal. First boat.. maybe see you soon?

Keeping a wary eye on this girl
Old 23-08-2018, 18:01   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

These boats were built with zinc plated brass ball valves on mismatched throughull threads instead of real seacocks. If they have not already been replaced you must budget for it.

Since you are going to have a look yourself .... look at Marine Survey 101 first

Tags
beneteau, lease, offer, reviews