Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 07:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 27
retirement

So not trying to make anybody mad or start a class war or whatever. Just honestly seeking knowledge from people more knowledgeable than myself which is pretty much everybody.

So if you were able to retire reasonably young, (56) not a lot of family connections. Kids all grown, single and have been sailing for ten years in my 27' fantasia. Want to sail and see as much of the world as I can while I'm still young and then maybe settle into the Caribbean when older. will live on the boat and have no other expenses, on a fixed income of 250,000 a year what would you buy and why.

may or may not have an so that can help with longer passages, but would also like to use crewfinder just to meet other sailors and share in the experience.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:07   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: retirement

Well I did retire at 56. But with no income really, just savings and investments.

If I had $250/k income and wanted to cruise I would be on a nice power boat with 1500+ miles of range loaded with all the "toys".
Old 07-04-2022, 08:11   #3

Fixed income of $250K with no fixed expenses? Why are you asking for others’ advice? The world is your oyster and I doubt many are in a similar boat.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:36   #4

Yes good call, Oyster crafts some nice yachts
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:01   #5

with that large of a retirement income, you will be able to cruise the world in a very comfortable fashion. I would personally get a 45 to 50 monohull by one of the better production companies, such as Oyster, Amel etc. You will be able to easily afford the upkeep of such a boat and be able to have plenty of room for crew if need and still be comfortable.
A catamaran would be my choice if I was bring a wife and family along but since you are flying solo, I think a Mono will provide plenty of space.

Along the lines of sailor Boy. if the act of sailing is not what drives you but more the exploration. Nordhavn makes some great motor boats with extended range and are obviously very comfortable to live aboard. There are advantages for places such as the MED to have this kind of boat

let us know how it goes
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:26   #6

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch

You are blessed!
I'm impressed that at age 56 you feel young. I'm 60 and half the time I feel decrepit. Might be the 12-year-olds I'm struggling to teach some grammar to each school day. Retirement. Ah...

--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:30   #7

sorry folks, yes I should have been more specific.

sailboat preferably mono, but not opposed to hearing other peoples views on other things.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:30   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I did retire at about that age, but with a wife and a bit less income.

The 34' catamaran I had was perfect for one person (a little larger if mono) up to a week or two. Any more boat would have just been more work. For long term cruising, I'd probably go to about 36-40, but maybe not. The sails just get heavier. Obviously, you can afford a boat in ready-to-go condition, but likely you will make a few changes, just because you want to. You don't need to make them the first season--as you know, it takes time to get to know a boat.

As for what you like to do... that's on you. But most sailors come back to land after a few years. Maybe you'll like the Caribbean, but maybe not. Keep your options open and don't get hung up on a "dream" that may be just a result of office burnout. There are good lives everywhere.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:43   #9

Boat: Hanse 430e

At 57 years old and in relatively fit shape, I would not singlehand much bigger than 50' My 43' is easy for me and I would like a bit room and a non Vee berth layout so I'm thinking 50' With your income you can afford new and a very well built boat. I would look at an Aluminum Garcia or Bestevaer. I also like the moody DS. You have alot of choices go for it. Buy in the Med, and spend a few years there ten cross and do a Atlantic circuit or keep heading west.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:47   #10

Not sure what you're asking.

You have the resources to do whatever you want to do. The preferences are all yours.

Sooner is probably better than later, because stuff changes.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:03   #11

@thin water, definitely agree sailing options are open, just want to sail and travel. Might change my mind several times when I'm out there.

@Dogscout, yes and that was an option. If I started in the med I actually like to do a farrow Iceland loop before I get to old. Once again all plans open to change.

@letsgetsailing3 the issue is what boat would you pick for that job, you personally and why. You probably know more about the higher end boats, pros cons and the lifestyle than I do. I apologize if you find this question distasteful, that was not my intent. everyone's situation is different. Usually when you talk high end boats for this purpose you get they are all good just pick one and go. I was looking for a little more info on what people like and why, maybe they like the same things I do or maybe they hate what I like and they have a good reason and therefor I can learn something.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:12   #12

Not really asking for you to tell me what you think I should do. More, what would you do. lots of good knowledgeable people on here. I think it would be interesting to see the differences of what people would choose for themselves and why. No wrong answers everyone's likes and tastes and uses would be different.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16   #13

One issue is timing - we met someone who just bought a new boat suitable for what you describe but I think it took two years to get it. You may need to look at recent but used boats or compromise based on whatever new boats are available.

An experienced sailor designed the Garcia Expedition 45 as their ultimate go anywhere sailing boat for single handers. If you want a powerboat, there's Nordhavens. If I suddenly came into money, they'd be on my list
leecea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post

@letsgetsailing3 the issue is what boat would you pick for that job, you personally and why. You probably know more about the higher end boats, pros cons and the lifestyle than I do. I apologize if you find this question distasteful, that was not my intent. everyone's situation is different. Usually when you talk high end boats for this purpose you get they are all good just pick one and go. I was looking for a little more info on what people like and why, maybe they like the same things I do or maybe they hate what I like and they have a good reason and therefor I can learn something.
The answer is in your paragraph:

everyone's situation is different.

So the answer you're going to get here is what people THINK they'd want, if they were in your shoes, which is just as flawed as anything else.

People ask this question on this forum every week. With lots of variants, and nuances, for sure, but it really is mostly the same question.

The thread will likely devolve into the standard bluewater boat debate, with most people defending their current choices, or attacking others (to indirectly defend theirs).

I find myself in a similar situation as you. So I look forward to the answers. Maybe I'll be surprised.

What you're looking for is a high quality boat that you can buy new, that you can single-hand, but that can accommodate a guest or two. Probably about 40-50 feet, no?

If you're sailing Bahamas/Florida, draft is a concern. Outside of that, less so.

Good luck! I'm in the same boat, more or less. Maybe we'll get lucky and the perfect idea will pop out of this discussion. It's possible.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:21   #15

@leecea
Exactly, definitely think I will stay in the used market, my thinking there is when I'm ready to go, I want to go I don't want to be waiting on a boat build. Someone correct me if my logic is incorrect there.

Ah yes the Garcia expedition 45. I have looked long and hard at these and they are on the short list, my only issue with this whole boat is the galley. I really don't like a linear galley in the salon like that, would prefer it was its own space and preferably c shaped, but my logic could be flawed there too if someone wants to explain it to me. Other than that I like everything about that boat.

Tags
men, retirement