Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2007, 08:26   #1

Boat: Crealock 37
Researching boat information

Yet, another wrinkle in our painstaking search for 'the perfect' ocean cruiser. Thinking I stumbled upon an amazing 'deal' on a beautiful 38' foot sloop, I was aghast to find the previous owner had no title for the boat - only a bill of sale from the previous owner!

Although my gut tells me it is probably best to walk away ... this is a beautiful boat! Does anyone out there know if there is a surefire way to handle a situation like this? Can prior ownership be easily researched before purchase? Is it possible that this was USCG documented, and is there any way to research this? Is it possible for such a craft to have never had a title?
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 11:57   #2

it depends on the state texwards. you will have to do a title search in the state then nationally. as for documentation that will give the name of the entity that documented the boat, and when. if documentation hasn't been followed up each renewal period it becomes a dead end. if you can get clear title then your state should be able to issue a new title and or hull numbers depending on age (this is what they do in mass. after a certain age on the boat). good luck
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 14:08   #3

Boat: C&C 27
If the boat was ever received Coast Guard documentation there will be a set of numbers somewhere on the boat or scar where the numbers were removed. I have titled a boat in Texas that did not have a title and my guess is that you will not be able to do it for a 38 footer unless it is home made and goes through the inspection process. Good deal, no title, sounds to good to be true....

USCG Documentation Web Search
PSIX Vessel Search
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc