Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 07:55   #1

Boat: 1978 Cheoy Lee 38'
Request for Cheoy Lee sailboat owners

I have recently became owner of old 1978 Cheoy Lee 38ft. Has issues, and need info or advice. I am a complete novice, but researching, and soaking up everything I can about boats in general.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
sunny360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:20   #2

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII
Re: request for Cheoy Lee sailboat owners

Post some pics when u can and give general description of condition. Should find lots of help here. You might also look to making friends in whatever marina or boatyard you are currently in. My experience is sailors love to share knowledge...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:30   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Hey Sunny, I own a 1972 Cheoy Lee Luders 36. I would connect with the Cheoy Lee Sailboat Association. Helpful as it connects you to other Cheoy Lee owners. Also, I have found that the Cheoy Lee Shipyards in Hong Kong has been very helpful. They have info and some manuals on original Cheoy Lee items (windlass, etc), also they have some spare parts from original Cheoy Lee's. I bought some original hatch hinges and also repurchased the brass plaque that came with all Cheoy Lee's originally. Let me know if I can help. John
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:07   #4

Thanks for comment Rbyham. I will post some pics. I have seen the site for Cheoy Lee assc. But hesitant to join since not a seasoned sailor, actually not sailor at all, but fascinated by anything boat. Would have prefered to start education on much smaller boat.

As far as issues: the interior on the hull seems to "sweat". The v berth is always damp to the touch, and cushions are actually wet. I can press water out of them. I thought I fixed that when I went thru the entire boat cleaning mold, and then painting a sealant along interior hull. But problem persists. Any suggestions?
sunny360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:09   #5

Hello john, Thanks for your comment. Do you find Cheoy Lee to be a good, better, or best, in sailboat catagories?
Old 20-12-2016, 12:32   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Well, I am biased as I have been in love with the Luders design for many years and finally was able to buy my boat. They are very distinct, graceful lines and if maintained, great boats. Love the way they handle. Not roomy, but I'm not having a party onboard. I haven't sailed much in the last 35 years but have found the Cheoy Lee Association helpful.
As for the "sweating", does your boat still have the teak decks? My previous owner tore them off, recored parts and reglassed the entire deck. I am doing the same to the cockpit as the teak will seep and that could be a cause for the moisture. I also tore out my fixed portlights and replaced with SS opening portlights. The old ones were seeping. I had those black mold streaks throughout the boat and last year, completely cleaned with Starbrite Mildew Stain remover. Amazing stuff, but ensure you are well ventilated. Then I painted the entire inside hull with Total Bilge epoxy paint from Jamestown Distributors. Great stuff. Wipes easily, looks nice.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:00   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Back in the 70's my father had a charter company in the Virgin Islands with the fleet being exclusively Cheoy Lee's. We had the Offshore 47's, Offshore 41's, Midshipman 40's, Clipper 42's, and a couple of Luders 36's. My favorite was the Offshore 41.

Each boat was built by a specific family in Hong Kong. Really nice boats to sail but I do remember that he had to upgrade the rigging on each one as they were a bit light.

Sadly, the demand for a quality yacht in the charter market was replaced with the sailing clorox bottle of today. It will demand work and attention but what a labor of love. Enjoy!
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:29   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny360 View Post
Thanks for comment Rbyham. I will post some pics. I have seen the site for Cheoy Lee assc. But hesitant to join since not a seasoned sailor, actually not sailor at all, but fascinated by anything boat. Would have prefered to start education on much smaller boat.

As far as issues: the interior on the hull seems to "sweat". The v berth is always damp to the touch, and cushions are actually wet. I can press water out of them. I thought I fixed that when I went thru the entire boat cleaning mold, and then painting a sealant along interior hull. But problem persists. Any suggestions?
Fiddle sticks!

The site is about boats, not sailing. Besides, although there are a few sailors who enjoy a pis sing match, most sailors simply enjoy sharING what they know, without the need to bash YOU for what you don't know!

I don't have much knowledge of our Cheoy Lee Offshore 38 yet. It is new to us. But Cheoy Lee has been very helpful with our questions. Also, the owners association is run by Chevy Lee. If you join they will send spiffy hats for your crew.

Like I said, I don't have a lot of knowledge but I'll share anythin I know! Send me a PM.

Suzette
Old 21-12-2016, 07:27   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
.......As far as issues: the interior on the hull seems to "sweat". The v berth is always damp to the touch, and cushions are actually wet. I can press water out of them. I thought I fixed that when I went thru the entire boat cleaning mold, and then painting a sealant along interior hull. But problem persists. Any suggestions?

Are you sure that the moisture is from condensation? If you are wringing out the cushions, that seems excessive to me. Any sort of ventilation should reduce that issue. ( as far as determination ) I wonder, have you looked for leaks in the toe rail area? Or along the ceiling? Water has a nasty habit of migrating and appearing a great distance away from where it originated. If my cushions were soaked, I would be more inclined to find a weeping hatch, leaky toe rail, or any place where a deck fitting has penetrated the deck. I would not be surprised if none of the deck hardware has been re-bed since it left the factory.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 09:23   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990

my first "BIG BOAT " a frisco flyer " cheoy lee 26' hull is entirely 5/4"teak hull

https://seafireblog.files.wordpress....-again1jpg.jpg
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:13   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I see you're a live aboard, which is giving me an inkling of what's causing your problem. But you need to provide us more information.

Where are you located? I'm assuming you're up north. How are you heating the boat? Do you cook and shower on it?

In short, condensation is an issue in winter in northern climes. You are generating moisture (simple respiration, cooking, washing) and the cold surfaces on the interior of the boat are condensing that moisture.

Boat cushions are essentially enormous sponges so they are going to absorb moisture. For the v-berth, one thing to help is to allow air circulation between the cushion and the board it rests on. Dri-dek is the easy choice. Astro turf fake grass under the cushion is actually a very good solution, believe it or not.

As far as the general sweating on the inside of the boat, running a dehumidifier will help a lot, and adding a bit of ventilation, even if that makes heating the boat more expensive. For example, don't stuff towels up into the dorade vents because you think all the warm air is escaping through them, lol. Another option is to add insulation on the interior of the hull and the cabin, where feasible. 1/2" closed cell foam works well and is easy to work with.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 19:22   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Fiddle sticks!

The site is about boats, not sailing. Besides, although there are a few sailors who enjoy a pis sing match, most sailors simply enjoy sharING what they know, without the need to bash YOU for what you don't know!

I don't have much knowledge of our Cheoy Lee Offshore 38 yet. It is new to us. But Cheoy Lee has been very helpful with our questions. Also, the owners association is run by Chevy Lee. If you join they will send spiffy hats for your crew.

Like I said, I don't have a lot of knowledge but I'll share anythin I know! Send me a PM.

I had a friend from France who sailed over alone as his wife was not keen on the idea ,she would fly over once he had made it here : a retiredd dentist so he waas in good shape. He had a lovelyCheoy lee .As i rememer it was a 40 footer . The only thing i am positive is that this model was called " a passage ' and pronounced with a french accent . and so he simply used name as the name for his boat .he was staying at a marina near notheast harbor on the island of Mt desert where ilived . he spoke french with a little broken English and i spoke English with 3 years of high school french .. the single item i remember best about that boat was when we were at the dock and went down below for some wine or a few shots of Sctch was when your feet hit the "floor" it was as solid as concrete .i swear the fiberglass had to be 2 inches thing as opposed to many hunters i have been on and ,when down below you can look at the cabin " walls" and you could see the waterline through the interior painted hull..,...That does not instill a feeling of safety in most but least of all is the wife .. I have seen too many women on a sail boat get nervous when the boat 'leans like that " so one less thing for them to worry about is a very thick hull as you will find on every Cheoy lee i have ever been on or any Bristol as they hand laid thier glass and went crazy for a great reputaion.. please take one afternoon and check out 2-3 cheoy lees . You will learn a lot if nothing else.......

Suzette
I wish you well in your search
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 22:43   #13

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
I have recently became owner of old 1978 Cheoy Lee 38ft. Has issues, and need info or advice. I am a complete novice, but researching, and soaking up everything I can about boats in general.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
I have a 1972 Cheoy Lee Offshore 33, presently in Anguilla. All the issues were dealt with by the previous owner who sailed her around the world, I believe for the second time. She's very seasoned and in good shape. Let me know if I can help, which is unlikely.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 22:48   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My buddy has a CL Luders 30 next to me, and we've done a bit of work on it. A very sweet boat. Check for blisters in the hull when you haul out. But that hull at least in the 30 is so thick I don't think they pose much problem. How's the engine?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 22:50   #15

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Don, was that question for me?
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, sail, sailboat