Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 23:42   #16

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: request for Cheoy Lee sailboat owners

Salt on everything is often the cause of wet linen etc. Salt absorbs moisture out of the air. Our boat was always damp like this when we got it. Had a number of deck leaks and the PO delivered it through a storm. Even with the dehumidifier going the carpets, linen etc felt damp all the time. Took them out and washed in fresh water - problem solved. Also wiped down the timberwork and walls.

For dealing with normal humidity issues a dehumidifyer as Suijin suggests if on shore power.
Congrats on the new boat - lot to learn but it'll be good for you.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 03:14   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Request for Cheoy Lee sailboat owners

Adding/upgrading insulation often goes a long way towards fixing moisture problems. And checking your hull to deck joint/toe rails never hurts.
Ditto on inspecting, & fixing (if possible) any deck leaks. Since they can at times be hard to find, especially with teak decks. Teak decks being of one type of sandwich construction or another.

Do searches under; ventillation, dry/soggy bunks, insulation, & similar, & you'll get lots of tips. Such as using a thermal imager to search for leaks in your insulation, just as is done with houses in colder climates. Try & do it on a chilly, breezy day, since your boat will bleed more heat then. So it'll be more obvious when taking the IR images.

There are also a lot of commercial products which assist with keeping bunks dry by venting the moisture generated by your breath, & body. Such as the Frolli system. See wrwrangell/SV Denali Rose's blog. As they live in Alaska, & thus have some extensive experience on these things.

If you suspect a fitting or section of deck of leaking, draw concentric circles around it with a water soluble marker. So that the breaks in the rings will aim you towards the source of the leak. Well, unless it's more than one source, or the water is migrating through various layers of materials in order to begin to seep out somewhere far from it's source. As happens with many a teak deck.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 05:05   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Sunny welcome to the club.
Cheoy Lee sailboats are extremely well built, the fiberglass layup is very heavy compared to even the boats of the 1980's. They used a ton of teak everywhere including as coring in decks etc. I bought mine totally original and have done a major refit over the last few years so have encountered every issue possible.
If you have specific questions let me know and I will help if possible.
Good luck.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 05:18   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 28

I have a CL Offshore 28. The CL Association website is good but you may get more responses from other forums.

My 28 has teak cabin linings but not in the forward V or quarter berth where it has spaced teak strips to prevent bodily contact with the 'wall'. The previous owner glued 'furry' lining onto exposed f/glass areas which, I guess, helped absorb condensation in the sleeping berths too. I am in Perth, W.Australia where there is little humidity and not much temperature variation during the day or year compared with the US.
One thing you will hear about CL's is that the teak decks need close attention. They have not made a sailing yacht for 30 years so most of these will have at some time had repairs done to the deck. The decks were 'glued' onto f/glass and then fastened with screws, caulked and plugged with a small teak dowel caps. Quite simply, over time the 'glue' deteriorated, caulk cracked, plugs popped out and screws loosened = leaks. One cheap 'solution' was to re-caulk and use larger screws to re-fasten the teak strips. On my 28, some of these larger screws came through the f/g deck into the forward V roof. When your deck is awash, water will canal its way through any gaps and head for the screw holes. I think that is probably where your problem lies. Others have told me that the main areas of seepage are 'through the deck fittings'.
Anyway, dont worry about being a novice. I am not far off that description myself! If you have a CL, you have a classic boat that looks good inside and out with great lines and character. Some say strip the teak off and put down a 'non'stick'. I could not do that to a classic CL. Sailing is to enjoy and damp interiors are generally part of the deal with an older boat unless you willing to spend. Have fun.
Cheoy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 05:28   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cheoy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheoy lee, sail, sailboat