Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 06:42   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: C&C 33 MKII
Replacing Floor boards in the Salon

I am looking at a C&C 33-2, Besides some minor issues, the boat looks very good. The boat has been on the hard for 2 years, there has been some water damage down the mast that has pretty much ruined the Salon floor boards where I would have to replace them.

The other issue that may come up is the mast step from the minor water damage but I will cross that bridge later.

To completely replace the floor boards, does anyone have any advice for materials? Replace with Teak, Holly? are there any recommendations on synthetic materials for this project?

What should I be looking out for when I replace the floor boards, any hidden issues that someone has seen for this type of project?

I am very handy, and have done a lot of work on other boats I have owned, just have never done this project. In reality it would just be the flooring around the mast, but I figure might as well do the whole salon while I am at it.

Thank you for your help, guidance and comments.
Hamish_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:04   #2

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender
Re: Replacing Floor boards in the Salon

Smaller boat, but we went with CNCd plywood covered with some industrial carpet (the carpet is cheap and lasts about two seasons).

There’s even a video since the floor was a test run for a new CNC

https://youtu.be/KnSEP8zXM-0
bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:12   #3

I assume it is actually Plywood not actual boards? If so, replacing them will not be easy. They likely extend to the settees and cabinetry and under some of that. May be glassed to the hull in places. So you may have to do a partial job if you can by cutting straight and accurate along the perimeter and fitting like thickness Teak and Holly ply back in.

Hidden issues may include rotting vertical cabinetry pieces near the bottom. Or if the boat had a lot of water i n it, the hull can bend out of shape where the yard supports are.
If the floor is dry and still solid, one option is a soft or otherwise synthetic cover.
On one old boat I used those foam 2 ft x 2 ft squares that interlock. it was pretty nice to walk on.
If just around the mast, then cut out and match a piece back in would be best. Put cleats under to screw the new piece into.
Pics would help a lot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:11   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Thanks for the information. The flooring looks like plywood with a lament. This is the only pic i have, it doesn't show the damage around the mast step, but it does show the flooring. It looks like the flooring only touches fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C&C 33-2 Floor.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	233646  
Old 01-03-2021, 19:08   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Cabin soles like that are usually made of plywood with a veneer of teak and holly inlaid or glued to the top. C&C would not be likely to build solid teak & holly soles for their production boats. The teak & holly ply comes in 4'x8' sheets, just like any other plywood. Your pseudo makes it look like you might be in CT, so Connecticut Plywood Corp in Milford (pretty much next to North Sails) or Maurice Condon in White Plains NY might be good sources. Other lumber suppliers could likely order it in for you, but these two may have different thicknesses in stock.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

C&C Photo Album & Resource Center ➥ C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

“Mast steps are usually wood based, and they rot or deteriorate. It's often easier to rebuild the existing deteriorated step than it is to pull it and replace. A combination of CPES™[1] and the L&L Resin™[2] can result in a strong step that is largely free of existing rot and protected to a substantial degree from future rot.”
1. Smith’s Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer
2. Layup & Laminating Epoxy Resin

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:12   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
Smaller boat, but we went with CNCd plywood covered with some industrial carpet (the carpet is cheap and lasts about two seasons).

There’s even a video since the floor was a test run for a new CNC

https://youtu.be/KnSEP8zXM-0

Thanks for the video and report about the CNC, I had similar issues setting up a smaller CNC (no instructions, not the best build quality, shipping hassles) some years ago. Once the machine starts cutting it is easier to forget the setup hassles.

In my refit, I am finding it better to make cardboard or paper templates instead of relying solely on measurements and CAD. Then I bring the templates inside where I can study them and measure them easily. If I need to do CAD then I can or if the pattern is fine I trace it onto the new material and cut.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:16   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

PSK125: Thanks for the info. Yes I am in CT and close to Milford. Very much appreciate the help.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:33   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post
.........To completely replace the floor boards, does anyone have any advice for materials? Replace with Teak, Holly? are there any recommendations on synthetic materials for this project?........
There are lots of options but one is to replace the floor boards with marine plywood and cover with teak and holly or teak and ebony Lonseal vinyl flooring. I just replaced the carpeting and covered the entire boat flooring with teak and ebony Lonseal.

https://lonseal.com/products/?f=Marine
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:51   #10

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish_ct View Post

To completely replace the floor boards, does anyone have any advice for materials? Replace with Teak, Holly? are there any recommendations on synthetic materials for this project?
I highly recommend Plasteak, synthetic flooring. Very easy to work with, good footing, and looks great. I redid my salon cabin sole with the stuff last year.

http://www.plasteak.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	126213126_690166028563375_1664590215707665166_o.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	233693  
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

When I replaced the floor in my Bayfield it was T&H veneer on ply. Lots of bunged screws. Drilled out the bungs with a forsner bit ? and carefully pulled everything
Think I had to make a full length cut to pull the main piece out the companionway
Used the old to make templates first cut and checked fit with raw plywood. Then did the deed.
Reversed the order to install with lots of countersunk holes and then bungs
Very rewarding when new buyers complimented the job.
Did a new step at the same time. That was easy once the mast was yanked!
Have fun with it!
RLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:12   #12

Boat: Peterson 35

Lonseal would be a superb fix for your entire sole. Laid up on marine plywood, templated using vapour barrier, you will be hard-pressed to tell that it's not original teak. Plus, it's nearly bullet proof. I've installed it on two large boats and the results were superb.
partingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:04   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

I have a Catalina 30 and I am planning to upgrade later this year to Nuteak C-Flor, which is a synthetic teak / holly. I stumbled upon it via a YouTube video of an installation.

What is nice about this product is that the teak/holly strips are separate pieces as opposed to being 6-10 inch wide "planks". This allows you to adapt the floor to curved / non level surfaces (such as the curved sole of a Catalina 30...). It also makes the teak flooring look more natural than the "plank" flooring as you can stagger the pieces as you see fit..

The material is waterproof, and extremely durable. The quality is such that it is difficult to tell that it is not real teak/holly wooden veneer by looking at it.

Here is a video of a Catalina 30 with the flooring installed:

I spoke at length with Ron McCarthy of Tampa Bay Yacht Masters who sells / installs the Nuteak C-Flor and they can guide you through an installation. There are other distributors across the US as well.

Contacts:

Ron McCarthy
Ron McCarthy Ron@tbym.net

Tampa Bay Yacht Masters Inc.
NuTeak Decking, C-Flor, NautikFlor
Boat Maintenance Products
813-731-0550
TBYM.net

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 14:46   #14

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have a 1981 C&C 36 on which I replaced the teak and holly floor boards. I was able to find a lumber yard that stocked it in PA, 1/4 and 1/2 4x8. About $300 per sheet delivered. I used the 1/2" and then coated the back and top with table top resin. The resin flows to a thick, durable, high gloss finish that is spectacular. Do the back side first for the resin flows around the edges. This is easier than many coats of varnish and tougher too.
I also used satin varnish on the teak plywood bulkhead and gloss varnish on the solid teak trim.
The boat looks better than new.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 14:59   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

A couple years ago I refinished the floor on my Jeanneau 45.2 - the wood was in good shape but several places had a "milky" appearance. No one I spoke to would quote refinishing "the veneer is too thin, we'd sand through it - we'll make you a new floor" for crazy $$. At one point the finish chipped and it turned out that the milky look was the coating separating from the wood due to moisture coming up from under.

I pulled the floor (everything was just screwed down), stripped and gently sanded it in the garage, epoxied the underside and polyurethaned the top. Looks great. Took a while.

As for yours, my previous boat was a 1988 C&C 33 and I was happy to discover that pretty much everything inside was screwed together and easily removable. If your wood is in good shape, maybe you can just refinish? If not, I'd use the old floor as templates for the new.

Good luck
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon