Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09   #1

Boat: CORESOUND 17
Replacing engine

I have recently purchased a 27 foot 1980 hunter. It has been out of watew for some time. The bottom needs to be cleaned and repaintered It has had the original engine removed and a new beta 14hp engine is sitting in the cabin. It is still in the shipping crate. I am in Ga and the boat is in Va. the question how difficult is it to replace the engine as far as alinement and packing gland. I have as the yard where the boat is for a estimate o install it but they have not done so for over a month. I wonder is some thing they do not want to tackle or is there something else wrong. I am having a trailer built to haul it home and considering just haul it home and start on it, I gave less than $1000 for the boat so I am not out much
Would like some suggestions on what I may do I wanted the boat to run some of the rivers in south east. I have a 17 foot day sailer but wife wanted a head and a berth
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:46   #2

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Replacing engine

Personally I would concentrate on just getting it home and then see what you have. You may find a major issue somewhere which is why the boat sold for $1K. (The boatyard may be aware of this and that is why they are dragging their feet)

If this proves to be the case you would probably be best served by parting it out and using that money for a better boat.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 13:08   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Brans new boat in the crate is worth more then double what you paid for it. Replacing engine is not an end of the world complicated job but takes a certain amount of skill etc. Don Casey has an excellent section on how to do it in his book This Old Boat. If they won't give you a bid I would be suspicious of having them do the work. Bring it home and figure it out from there. My guess is you can count on at least $1k on shafts props and other incidentals with more then that not out of the question.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 14:10   #4

I am really considering going after her, In fact I am going Fri. Afternoon and put down deposit on a custom built trailer. One I could haul boat on as well as tractor. We are looking at 10000 lbs trailer flat bed 24 ft long with pockets for jack stands low slung axles and extendable tougne and or wheel on trailer jack. I would maybe get some one to haul it south for us if thevprice is right. we have 1 1/2 ton truck to move it
Old 06-01-2016, 14:30   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

sounds like a good plan. My post was poorly written. First line should have read "Brand new engine in the crate is worth more then twice what you paid for the boat."

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 14:34   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah sounds like a hell of a deal, it's a great boat too
Old 07-01-2016, 17:46   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 25

I think the problem is the distance you are from the boat. Unless you gave the yard a firm date you need it completed by you are on the back burner. The squeaky hinge gets the oil and unless yur there hounding them to finish you will be waiting a long time, Good luck
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 14:34   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Also, check out The Cherubini Hunters | SailboatOwners.com Forums

Lots of great info
Old 08-01-2016, 14:43   #9

Thanks for all the info ordered the old boat book just came iun after putting deposit on a 12000 pou nd trailer wanted one big enouph to do the job.
Old 08-01-2016, 15:15   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've done exactly the same thing with the same engine on a different model boat. I found the job to be surprising easy. Beta have all the drawings needed to align the engine. I made a jig from MDF to ensure that the engine would both align with the prop shaft and fit inside the engine compartment. The shaft alignment is done with a string line or use a laser pointer for a hi tech approach. The hardest bit is redoing the engine bed. I had to entirely remove the old engine bed in my boat and build a new one. Again the jig was used to get the beds right.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:18   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Reefmagnet that's a beautiful installation, good on ya
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:42   #12

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Cheers

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote