Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2008, 14:07   #16

Ok, went for a sail Friday evening on a Tanzer 7.5, the boat worked well but have to admit with only two people in the cockpit, it felt crowded, as well, the boat is fairly narrow with a beam of only 8ft, getting back and forth from the cockpit to the bow was interesting in having to navigate the standing rigging. No doubt about it, I need a bigger boat.

John
radar912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 18:24   #17

The T-29 has a roomier cockpit, as it's a couple feet longer. Take a peek!
modul8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 20:11   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Ok, went for a sail Friday evening on a Tanzer 7.5, the boat worked well but have to admit with only two people in the cockpit, it felt crowded, as well, the boat is fairly narrow with a beam of only 8ft, getting back and forth from the cockpit to the bow was interesting in having to navigate the standing rigging. No doubt about it, I need a bigger boat.
They all seem small after a while. Try 11 meters and see how you feel. Until the beam gets over 3 meters it won't feel roomy. I think many might say 9 meters will perform in most situations but it won't feel roomy.

Lake Ontario does dish out some nasty stuff. Aside from the lack of tides, currents, and salt it's big water. On a bad day you don't currently have the ability to sail any boat. How you see that changes with more experience. Mastering the Great Lakes takes as much skill as any ocean.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 01:05   #19

Hi
I've sailed the Great Lakes in Columbia 29' before crossing the Atlantic. It can be very choppy out there. The ocean swell is much more gentle then the lakes. We had over 50kts of wind in a tunderstorm on Lake Erie.

29' long and 8' wide Columbia was good for two of us, and I can't see why anyone would like more room for singlehanding. Standing height is importand in my opinion. If you can stand it feels like little house, if not, it's only like camping.

I would suggest an older little cruiser around 30' for singlehanding. I'm a full keel guy especially for singlhanding since such boat moves easier and keeps her course longer, what gives you more time for everything. I'd go for heavy displacement too. I'd check something like

Pearson Triton
Columbia 29
Cape Dory

There are many great boats from 60's/70's for around USD10,000. Paying less for boat and upgrading her later is good since you pay little importation tax, but you will need some time and skill to do the work yourself.

Here I have some articles about sailing the Great Lakes
http://www.whisper2.com/logENG.htm
Good luck
Piotrek
pjablon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 03:50   #20

There are allot of good boats in the price range you are looking at. Nothing wrong with a 30 footer, it will be big enough to be comfortable but small enough that you can man handle it.

Yes the Great Lakes can be very rough. We brought the boat home from the winter yard last spring in 35 knots and 8 footers with a 4 second period. Of course it was on the nose which was OK but not when it was raining and hailing at 4 in the morning with temps in the low 40's. It was a rough 130 miles for us and we are 61 foot and weigh 65,000 pounds. Slowest trip we have ever had bringing the boat home, 17 hours of no fun. Not a trip I would have wanted to make in a 30 footer.

Good luck with your purchase.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 06:54   #21

The t-29 is about 3m wide.

1989 Tanzer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

very competitive price. seems to have been looked after too, from the writeup.
You could sail it home this spring!!
modul8 is offline   Reply With Quote