Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 20:30   #1

Boat: Alberg 35
Recommendations & Local Knowledge

Hi, Everyone!

I'm hoping to be able to enter my boat in the Marion-Bermuda race in 2021. Logistically, this means I need to move my boat through the Erie Canal and down the Hudson River to get to the starting line. The problem is that I can't count on the NY canals being open in time to do this in May of 2021, so that means I need to move my boat to somewhere on the Hudson River this coming fall.

I'm looking for some local knowledge regarding the Hudson River between New York City and the NY Canal entrance near Troy, NY.

Several questions for the group:
1. With the mast up I require 48 ft vertical clearance. How far downriver (south) from the canal entrance do I need to go before I can think about stepping my mast?

2. What marinas/boatyards would you recommend where I can lay up my boat for the winter? (Ideally, I'd step my mast there either just before laying up or when relaunching in the spring.)

3. Do the boatyards or marinas you're recommending in #2 allow one to work on / do maintenance or does one have to hire it out? (I'm a big DIY'er and am writing tuition checks for 2 kids right now - so budget is an issue. Hoping that I only need to do minor/routine maintenance in the spring before departing.)

Thanks, Everyone!

Tom
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Recommendations & Local Knowledge

The limiting bridge clearance, over the lower Hudson River is 139 feet, at the Tappan Zee Bridge. The lower Hudson River stretches 134 nm, from The Troy Lock & Dam, south to The Battery, in New York City.
17 bridges, and 8 overhead power lines, span the Hudson River between New York City and the head of navigation at Troy, NY. Of these bridges, the Railroad swing bridge at Albany, and the Green Island Lift Bridge at Troy, operate on restricted schedules.
Minimum bridge clearance of the fixed bridges on the Hudson River is at Troy, NY with a reported clearance of 55’.
Minimum overhead power line clearance is 87’ also located in Troy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:57   #3

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Recommendations & Local Knowledge

Thanks, Gord!
alley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, men