Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 00:30   #1

Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

Hi there! I'm so happy to have found this site. It's been a wealth of information so far.

We're shopping for a bluewater cruiser and I hoped you folks might be able to tell me what to keep an eye out for.

Some information about our requirements:
- Ideally ~45ft (+/- 3ft); there are 2 adults, my 10yo son, and our cat
- Two cabin (both need to have a door)
- Currently torn between sloop or ketch, either could work
- Slight preference for stability over speed--we would still like to be able to arrive at our destinations, of course
- Manageable for a couple to sail (perhaps with the assistance of some upgrades--though we don't want to be totally reliant on that)
- Good amount of stowage for food and spare parts/maintenance supplies. We'd like the freedom to explore, and not be always worrying about the next resupply.
- Planning to add a modest watermaker, but would still like to have at least 100g water tank.
- A smaller fuel tank might work out okay? We're not in a hurry to maintain a strict schedule, but obviously don't want to be caught in the wrong area during cyclone/hurricane/typhoon season!

We're hoping to spend around 60-100k on the boat itself, with a solid refitting buffer beyond that. Some we can do ourselves, some we won't attempt (rigging is one that comes to mind).

What makes/models should we keep an eye out for? We're on the west coast (PNW), so makes that are more common out here are especially helpful.

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! We appreciate it.
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Recommendation request: bluewater cruiser models that would meet our needs?

If you could be so kind as to include your experience level, and your expected use of the boat, it would help us to make our responses more meaningful to you.

At the price range you are looking at, I'd strongly suggest 35 - 40 ft. This is because it is big enough for 3 of you and the cat, and will be way more affordable if you look at older boats, which you will be doing. Many things are less dear with ongoing costs, the smallest you can deal with.

A sloop is possibly the easiest to sail (though the ketch enthusiasts may disagree). We have sailed sloops and one Solent rigged sloop for the last about 36 years.

The brand of the boat will not be as important as its condition. You want the best vessel for the dollar that you can afford, and keep the cruising kitty intact, and with an emergency fund. You will also need $$ for upgrades, but do try and keep that to a minimum. Good function is the most important value.

Good luck, maybe we'll cross tacks sometime.....

Ann
Old 04-05-2021, 02:13   #3

Thanks for your thoughts there! We're looking for a liveaboard, and the 42' sailboat we saw yesterday definitely wouldn't be big enough for our needs--we would've been lucky to fit two weeks worth of food on it. No idea where we would've stored tools or spare parts.

Perhaps that varies from design to design? We definitely want two cabins with doors that shut, and so far I haven't seen any sub 40ft boats that fit the bill there.

The long term goal is to someday circumnavigate, so we'd like to find a boat with which we can feasibly do so, with upgraded rigging and the like.

To be clearer on the financial side: we have 60-100k for a boat; could spend 50k or so to refit it if needed. Additionally, we will substantial savings that we don't plan to touch, and reliable income that should comfortably cover routine maintenance and monthly living expenses (we won't be spending every night at a marina, but that isn't what we want anyway).

My fear is that if we spend 150k on a boat, we'll still end up discovering *it* needs 50k of refitting. We could afford that if we had to, but I'd rather not.

We have some experience sailing; we're taking ASA lessons and getting practice via charters. This'll be the first we buy. We haven't ever crossed an ocean, but we know we love the sea. I grew up on an island and spent my childhood boating miles offshore (and scrubbing decks XD). My partner is a seasoned sea kayaker. So far, my kiddo loves being out as much as I did as a kid.
pillowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I am a Tartan and Hallberg Rassy fan. Look at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...sy-38-3726473/ or HR42, if you can find one.

And Tartans like this TOCK… but perhaps in better shape https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ketch-3824376/

Smart moves on the lessons! Whatever you get, be sure to have a Delivery Capt, or someone with offshore experience train you on your boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:50   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Here are a few links that may help:

Boats.com

https://www.boats.com/boats-for-sale...=united-states

Sail Monohulls 36ft > 40ft | Used Yachts For Sale

https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...lls/36-40ft/17

Sail Monohulls 41ft > 50ft | Used Yachts For Sale

https://yachthub.com/catlist/used/ya...lls/41-50ft/16
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:32   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowfort View Post
Thanks for your thoughts there! We're looking for a liveaboard, and the 42' sailboat we saw yesterday definitely wouldn't be big enough for our needs--we would've been lucky to fit two weeks worth of food on it. No idea where we would've stored tools or spare parts.

Perhaps that varies from design to design? We definitely want two cabins with doors that shut, and so far I haven't seen any sub 40ft boats that fit the bill there.

The long term goal is to someday circumnavigate, so we'd like to find a boat with which we can feasibly do so, with upgraded rigging and the like.

To be clearer on the financial side: we have 60-100k for a boat; could spend 50k or so to refit it if needed. Additionally, we will substantial savings that we don't plan to touch, and reliable income that should comfortably cover routine maintenance and monthly living expenses (we won't be spending every night at a marina, but that isn't what we want anyway).

My fear is that if we spend 150k on a boat, we'll still end up discovering *it* needs 50k of refitting. We could afford that if we had to, but I'd rather not.

We have some experience sailing; we're taking ASA lessons and getting practice via charters. This'll be the first we buy. We haven't ever crossed an ocean, but we know we love the sea. I grew up on an island and spent my childhood boating miles offshore (and scrubbing decks XD). My partner is a seasoned sea kayaker. So far, my kiddo loves being out as much as I did as a kid.
We have been blue water cruising for the past 5 years on a 40 foot Jeanneau Sun Fast.

If you think you will have problems with stowage on a 42 foot boat - maybe you need to rethink what you will bring.

Boats tend to be expensive on the US west coast - a Beneteau Oceanis or a Jeanneau Sun Odsessy are both good prodution boats and will sail whereever you want to go.

I do think that your estimate of inital outlay is on the low side - unless you get lucky. the $50k for outfitting and upgrades is almost certianly too low - unless you are "go simple - go cheap" persona.

Not to discourage you - but a boat agent this past autumn really wanted to get us to list our boat in Seattle - he said he was sure he could get $200K or more for it.

Capri is in sailaway condition, including new rig, new electronics and new sails - but that is more or less the pricing you will be looking at

By the way - we don't want to sell our boat

good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:26   #7

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Your budget is scant for the size and unless you find a unicorn, it will likely require a lot of work in that price range.

As for stowage, this is a question of boat layout, planning and practice, rather than just a bigger boat. Some fruits and veggies store best in a net hammock, rather than needing a spot in the cabinetry. You may need to learn to cook with a more limited inventory of pans. Some kitchen things may need to be stored through out the main cabin.

Pay attention to holding tank capacity, unless you are willing and able to switch to a composting toilet (may not be appropriate for 10yo, as they tend to be very tall).
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:32   #8

Boat: Island Packet 420

Take a look at Island Packet 40s. There are a few on the market and they are terrific Water boats">blue water boats, lots of space and quite comfortable. Probably on the higher side of your price range, but most IP owners take very good care of their boats and the retrofit might not be so expensive.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:51   #9

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

Beneteau Oceanus 42cc or 44cc. Lots of room, 2 separate cabins and they sail great. If they are too much $$, check out older Passport 40’s.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillowfort View Post
Hi there! I'm so happy to have found this site. It's been a wealth of information so far.

We're shopping for a bluewater cruiser and I hoped you folks might be able to tell me what to keep an eye out for.

Some information about our requirements:
- Ideally ~45ft (+/- 3ft); there are 2 adults, my 10yo son, and our cat
- Two cabin (both need to have a door)
- Currently torn between sloop or ketch, either could work
- Slight preference for stability over speed--we would still like to be able to arrive at our destinations, of course
- Manageable for a couple to sail (perhaps with the assistance of some upgrades--though we don't want to be totally reliant on that)
- Good amount of stowage for food and spare parts/maintenance supplies. We'd like the freedom to explore, and not be always worrying about the next resupply.
- Planning to add a modest watermaker, but would still like to have at least 100g water tank.
- A smaller fuel tank might work out okay? We're not in a hurry to maintain a strict schedule, but obviously don't want to be caught in the wrong area during cyclone/hurricane/typhoon season!

We're hoping to spend around 60-100k on the boat itself, with a solid refitting buffer beyond that. Some we can do ourselves, some we won't attempt (rigging is one that comes to mind).

What makes/models should we keep an eye out for? We're on the west coast (PNW), so makes that are more common out here are especially helpful.

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide! We appreciate it.
It's a basic given that a boat you buy with less refitting needs will cost less in the long run than a cheaper boat that needs more work. If you have a healthy refit budget, some of that might be better spent getting a boat in better shape up front than paying to do that work after purchase. The best refit values are those done by the previous owner. As for good brands on the West Coast, Pacific Seacraft 42' or the Tayana, Vancouver 42' come to mind. Both are large enough for serious cruising but just make sure you get a thorough survey prior to purchase.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:22   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

As an example of capable older boats, look at the British built Westerly range - say the Oceanlord 41 ft. This one is asking GBP £90,000:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/bo...-sale/1358212/

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...itle=Oceanlord
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23   #12

I would look at a Whitby 42, which would fit your needs on paper pretty well. There are a lot of Whitbys out there, and several are listed currently on Yachtworld.com.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

"The best refit values are those done by the previous owner. "
Very pithy. That is so true it hurts...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:42   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am a Tartan and Hallberg Rassy fan. Look at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...sy-38-3726473/ or HR42, if you can find one.

And Tartans like this TOCK… but perhaps in better shape https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ketch-3824376/

Smart moves on the lessons! Whatever you get, be sure to have a Delivery Capt, or someone with offshore experience train you on your boat.
Good luck finding a Hallberg Rassey (any HR) on the west coast. Great boats, but we hardly ever see one out here. You can find Tartans around here.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:45   #15

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

if you are not in a hurry, you may wait 1 to 2 years and get a brand new bullet proof off-shore sail boat, with modern consideration:
https://www.morganscloud.com/2021/04...-adventure-40/
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, model, water