Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 12:40   #1

Recommendation for Surveyor near St. Augustine, FL

Just put in an offer for an IP 35, I'm not from the St. Augustine, Florida area, so I'm looking for recommendations for a marine surveyor. I'd also be interested in any recommendations for an engine surveyor.
Calypso20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 05:37   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Recommendation for Surveyor near St. Augustine, FL

Unless the chainplates have been replaced, you should include money for immediate replacement in your budget. Here's mine after dismasting due to chainplate failure (crevice corrosion): https://i.imgur.com/xGnoXxL.jpg?1
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 05:40   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Bill Gladding for the boat survey and Tony Drivalas for the engine.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:31   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Capo Marine Surveys

https://www.marinesurvey.org/surveyo...yron-capo-ams/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 09:21   #5

Yes, thank you Lowcountry! I am aware that the chainplates are the Achille's heel of some IP models. I've budgeted enough to have Mack Sails in Stuart, FL to replace the chainplates. As I understand it, they are the people to do this job. I can't imagine how scary the dismasting must have been...

Woodland Hills and zboss, thank you for your replies. Both Capo and Gladding were on my broker's list, so I'm relieved to get independent recommendations, as well. Thank you! I will look up Tony Drivalas, again, thank you! This is a big help!
Old 22-02-2021, 12:22   #6

Boat: CL14 #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Unless the chainplates have been replaced, you should include money for immediate replacement in your budget. Here's mine after dismasting due to chainplate failure (crevice corrosion): https://i.imgur.com/xGnoXxL.jpg?1
When they are replaced, are they encased in glass again? Which means they still can’t be inspected?
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:31   #7

Hi Wilyum,

Yes, I do believe they are encased again in the fiberglass. I have seen, and heard people suggest, when replacing them, to put them outboard of the hull. Similar to what you see on a Pacific Seacraft. However, after much research on this topic, as I understand it, the IP hull is not designed to take the load on the outside of the hull. The new chainplates are made of 316, as opposed to 304, steel. I'm not entirely sure if Mack Sails puts in weep holes, or not. What I do know, is they are the people to do it. I've called to a few different places, and most have only done one ore two jobs, if at all. Mack Yacht Services in Stuart, FL, has done well into dozens of IP chainplate replacements on Island Packets. They also have a Youtube video that goes over the procedure. I figure the new chainplates will outlast ME!
Old 24-02-2021, 05:51   #8

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Calypso20, I have heard good things about Mack Sails replacing chainplates on older IP's. I believe that they do put weep-holes in at the bottom. I would probably clarify with them either way, and if no, then I would request that they do. When we rebuilt my 1990 IP35 after dismasting, I believe the yard glassed in the new plates without putting in weep holes. This was in 2012, so before there was a general consensus on how they should be properly replaced. I sold the boat within six months of rebuild, so I can't say for sure. In hindsight, I would have just added external plates, as it would have cost substantially less money and they could be inspected/rebedded annually. I am currently in the process of replacing the encapsulated chainplates on my Hans Christian 33 with external plates. I look forward to the peace of mind I will have from being able to easily inspect and service them. Best wishes to you with your new boat and your chainplate replacement.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 10:01   #9

Boat: CL14 #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
In hindsight, I would have just added external plates, as it would have cost substantially less money and they could be inspected/rebedded annually. I am currently in the process of replacing the encapsulated chainplates on my Hans Christian 33 with external plates.
there was a discussion of moving IP chain plates externally on the other forum, and the general consensus was that it could only be done on smaller boats <30'. The 'Yacht Rigger' in St Petersburg did it on a IP27, which was documented on one of the Youtube channels. Apparently they called in some of the IP guys across the way to help with the install. I haven't heard of Mack sails doing this. I'd definitely prefer this over glassed in for the reasons LowCountry stated. Maybe contact both companies OP and let us know what they say?
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 10:16   #10

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso20 View Post
Just put in an offer for an IP 35, I'm not from the St. Augustine, Florida area, so I'm looking for recommendations for a marine surveyor. I'd also be interested in any recommendations for an engine surveyor.
Ceal Potts for survey, Rob Dannis for engine survey.

Ceal = 386-319-4848
Rob = 772-284-9982
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:28   #11

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Ceal Potts for survey, Rob Dannis for engine survey.

Ceal = 386-319-4848
Rob = 772-284-9982

+1 on Ceal
Old 24-02-2021, 14:17   #12

Boat: islandpacket

Check out islandpacket homeport for fact and owner group. Lots of owners and a great source of info.
Old 25-02-2021, 11:52   #13

Ceal also knows a TON about the chain plates on IPs, and is in the process of writing technical paper on them. Was talking to her recently about the metallurgy.
Old 25-02-2021, 11:58   #14

Yes, I've heard from multiple sources Cecilia Potts is a great choice! And she's writing a technical paper on them?? Wow, this is very good info to have! Thank you!
Old 25-02-2021, 16:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso20 View Post
Yes, I've heard from multiple sources Cecilia Potts is a great choice! And she's writing a technical paper on them?? Wow, this is very good info to have! Thank you!
If you reach out to either Ceal or Rob Dannis tell 'em Martin from Atlanta recommended them

Tags
men, survey, surveyor