Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Reaching Hull Speed . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Yes, there are times when going as fast as possible is necessary. No doubt about that. But if that's one of your primary criteria for choosing a cruising sailboat, then I think you're kind of missing the whole point.
I'm not sure I agree. For me, one of the primary joys of cruising is the sailing itself, and I find that there's a lot more joy at 9 kts than at 4 knots. For my wife, being able to make a passage in five days rather than ten makes a world of difference regarding whether the passage is tolerable. Anything more than a week, and she'd rather have me ask buddies to crew while she flies to meet us once we're there.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:41   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If you are a cruiser that is dependent on the wind, you had better have all the time in the world to reach your destination. So what's it matter if you cannot reach hull speed? Isn't it as much about the journey as it is about the destination?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you are a cruiser that is dependent on the wind, you had better have all the time in the world to reach your destination. So what's it matter if you cannot reach hull speed? Isn't it as much about the journey as it is about the destination?
I don't think that is a accurate statement for everyone.

Even though a cruiser may spend three months in one spot, that doesn't necessarily dictate a destination for their journey. It is the immediate destination, but not the overall destination.

My wife and I have discussed this to some degree, and do understand that waiting on the wind will be a prudent action. But also feel there is a point to take alternate action to prevent a death to one of the occupants.

Sometimes depending on the wind is a means to an end, not a choice in the matter. I know for fact that power cruising is not really within our means financially.

I love sailing, but that isn't to say, I want to stay becalmed for a week.

Every person has their limitation on patience.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

speaking of hull speed--we will be doing our best to not achieve that goal on our way from la cruz, nayarit, to points farther south within these next coupla weeks.....our aim is 4-5 kts per hour, south and slightly east ward, and should take 3-4 days , mebbe 7-10, for 300-400 miles.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 14:33   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

"there are plenty of reasons that faster passages are desirable ; think: impending weather, exhausted crew, sick or injured passengers, shortened stores,arriving in daylight hours,grumpy spouse,etc. etc.. "

I agree with this sentiment. I like the authority to sail to places and avoid the engine in the lighter airs. My most memorable days of sailing fun are the lighter, 9 knot breeze days.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull speed