Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 18:29   #1

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re-Rigging my 1966 Spencer 42 Sloop!

Last year I sailed my Spencer 42 to Alaska, and one of the big problems that became very apparent on the trip is how terrible my rigging is, it was functional, but it was not good, and quite frankly such a pain that there were days I could have sailed that I chose to motor instead.

One of the biggest reasons for this is the boom, it is pretty terrible, an old roller reefing boom converted to a standard boom, but done, well so-so.

I have been scrounging the for sale pages for years now knowing I wanted to replace it, however most booms are in the 15-16 foot range, the Spencer wants a 19'!

Then last week on Craigslist I spotted a Sparcraft boom that was the 19' that I needed, turns out it was a takeoff in good condition, the previous owner had removed it for a modern roller furling boom.

Seeing the price of $400 bucks I immediately called and made arrangements to purchase it.

We got it picked up no sweat, used a towel, wood and a piece of foam to pad the cab of the truck, and then a piece of the same foam on the tailgate, rode all the way back 60 miles without a hitch!

Today test fit it on the boat, the gooseneck toggle is not the same, going to have to figure some things out there...

As you can see it doesn't want to work with my original goosneck, The goosneck block from Sparcraft isn't near as tall as the original, but the pins were both 15.77mm in diameter...

Which allowed me to install it for the test fit.

Then I was able to pull the sail out and hook it to the outhaul and stretch it out.

Which for a minute freaked me out as it was at the end of the track!

But then I realized that without the tack attached it had simply pulled the sail backwards and there is about 12" that it will go forward once I have the bracket figured out.

That will be a project for another day though!

Right now I am just super stoked to have got this boom at such a great price and having it been exactly the size I needed, installed it is within an inch of the old boom!

Also getting rid of that steel wire on the outhaul and replacing it with Dyneema is going to absolutely be on the to-do list!
Old 10-06-2024, 18:57   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Re-Rigging my 1966 Spencer 42 Sloop!

Congratulations! I know the feeling of finding something for not much $ that keeps the good old boat going! One of these days I need to find a good 14' boom to replace my old formerly roller furling boom that came with the boat back in '62 I think.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 19:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Congratulations! I know the feeling of finding something for not much $ that keeps the good old boat going! One of these days I need to find a good 14' boom to replace my old formerly roller furling boom that came with the boat back in '62 I think.

Thank you!

On that note it would appear the sailboat salvage place up in Linden WA has a bunch of them around that size.
Old 10-06-2024, 20:40   #4

Good on you! Congratulations!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 14:24   #5

Looking at the track on my mast I am thinking the best thing to do is going to be to have a new bracket made that holds the boom, the issue being with the current bracket it slides up and down that track, but this is a vang supported boom, and quite frankly I like the vang better than having a topping lift because the topping lift is really good at destroying the trailing edge of a sail.

The concern I have with going about it this way is that the mast is a spruce mast, which means that there will be a great deal of tension against the fasteners going into the wood, and that leaves me wondering what will be the right approach to mounting the new boom bracket?

I am probably going to just have send cut send make one up for me out of stainless, so I can add a lot of fasteners to it, but I am also questioning if I should just get a piece of G-10 and splice it into the mast and thoroughly bed it with epoxy and perhaps some mechanical fasteners as well, then drill and tap the G-10 to accept the new bracket.

Or if I should make the new bracket in the style of a clamp?

Currently pondering on what will be the right way to do this.
Old 19-06-2024, 14:46   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Make the new fitting of the "clamp" style.
None of the "strap" type fittings are suitable for a wooden mast, they all rely on a billion screws which start compromising the integrity of the wood from the moment they're installed.
And epoxy/glass will be no different.
The best will use two "clamps", with the boom riding on a good-sized rod between them.
Look at some of those old "Garden Ketches" from Tiawan, they'll show you what you want, (or close to it).
Old 20-06-2024, 14:08   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

Can't tell from the photo exactly what the problem with fitting the new boom is. It looks like the only problem (since you say that the pins are all the same sizes) is that the new boom's end fitting isn't as tall as the space on the mast's bracket. Why can't you install a spacer block above or below the end fitting so that the space is filled? A piece of wood with a hole drilled through it would work until you found a chunk of aluminum to take its place. Or have I misunderstood the problem?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 21:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Make the new fitting of the "clamp" style.
None of the "strap" type fittings are suitable for a wooden mast, they all rely on a billion screws which start compromising the integrity of the wood from the moment they're installed.
And epoxy/glass will be no different.
The best will use two "clamps", with the boom riding on a good-sized rod between them.
Look at some of those old "Garden Ketches" from Tiawan, they'll show you what you want, (or close to it).
That is my fear that stuffing it full of a zillion holes will cause issues.

I am familiar with the brackets you are talking about, ill have to see what I can come up with. Also there is a possibility that I will be snagging an aluminum mast off a boat going to the crusher, just waiting for all that to be finalized.
Old 20-06-2024, 21:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Can't tell from the photo exactly what the problem with fitting the new boom is. It looks like the only problem (since you say that the pins are all the same sizes) is that the new boom's end fitting isn't as tall as the space on the mast's bracket. Why can't you install a spacer block above or below the end fitting so that the space is filled? A piece of wood with a hole drilled through it would work until you found a chunk of aluminum to take its place. Or have I misunderstood the problem?
The first problem is that the old pin does not give me a way to secure the tack of the sail, as the pin for the new boom is too short to fit, and without it there is nothing to hold the front of the sail when I tension the outhaul.

The other issue being that the entire fitting here slides up and down, I need something that is fixed because when switching to a vang, it will drive the front of the boom upwards and the back will fall.

They need to be rigid fittings.
Old 21-06-2024, 10:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
The first problem is that the old pin does not give me a way to secure the tack of the sail, as the pin for the new boom is too short to fit, and without it there is nothing to hold the front of the sail when I tension the outhaul.

The other issue being that the entire fitting here slides up and down, I need something that is fixed because when switching to a vang, it will drive the front of the boom upwards and the back will fall.

The easy way to fix both these issues would be to get a block of aluminum or stainless steel with a hole for the pivot pin and place it on top of the new boom's end fitting. That will keep the room from rising up. The block should stick out a touch beyond the flange of the mast bracket. (It looks like there's a small area dished out at the forward end of the boom that would allow this.) The end that sticks out should have a hole drilled through it to take a shackle for the mainsail tack. It might take 20 minutes to drill the two holes once you find the right sized block of metal. No messing with the mast or drilling new holes in it or spending time trying to bend heavy-guage metal sheets.
Old 21-06-2024, 10:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post

The easy way to fix both these issues would be to get a block of aluminum or stainless steel with a hole for the pivot pin and place it on top of the new boom's end fitting. That will keep the room from rising up. The block should stick out a touch beyond the flange of the mast bracket. (It looks like there's a small area dished out at the forward end of the boom that would allow this.) The end that sticks out should have a hole drilled through it to take a shackle for the mainsail tack. It might take 20 minutes to drill the two holes once you find the right sized block of metal. No messing with the mast or drilling new holes in it or spending time trying to bendheavy-guage metal sheets. It would look something like this:
Attached Images

Old 21-06-2024, 10:21   #12

Quote:
The easy way to fix both these issues would be to get a block of aluminum or stainless steel with a hole for the pivot pin and place it on top of the new boom's end fitting. That will keep the room from rising up. The block should stick out a touch beyond the flange of the mast bracket. (It looks like there's a small area dished out at the forward end of the boom that would allow this.) The end that sticks out should have a hole drilled through it to take a shackle for the mainsail tack. It might take 20 minutes to drill the two holes once you find the right sized block of metal. No messing with the mast or drilling new holes in it or spending time trying to bendheavy-guage metal sheets. It would look something like this:

I am not following what you are suggesting?
Old 21-06-2024, 18:53   #13

The fitting on the end of the new boom fits on the vertical pin of the mast gooseneck bracket. But it is not tall enough to take up all the space on the bracket. That makes it lift when you apply the vang: not good. You could put washers on the vertical pin to fill in the space to keep the boom end from lifting, but that does not help with your need for a mainsail tack fitting. If you obtain a block of aluminum that is tall enough to fill the space between the top of the fitting on the new boom and the top of the bracket you can drill a vertical hole through it for the pin to go through. If the block of aluminum sticks out perhaps an inch beyond the mast gooseneck bracket you can drill a horizontal hole through the aluminum block and use a shackle to attach the tack of the sail to it. The two drawings attached may show this better:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6203 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	291189  
Old 22-06-2024, 15:41   #14

Quote:
The fitting on the end of the new boom fits on the vertical pin of the mast gooseneck bracket. But it is not tall enough to take up all the space on the bracket. That makes it lift when you apply the vang: not good. You could put washers on the vertical pin to fill in the space to keep the boom end from lifting, but that does not help with your need for a mainsail tack fitting. If you obtain a block of aluminum that is tall enough to fill the space between the top of the fitting on the new boom and the top of the bracket you can drill a vertical hole through it for the pin to go through. If the block of aluminum sticks out perhaps an inch beyond the mast gooseneck bracket you can drill a horizontal hole through the aluminum block and use a shackle to attach the tack of the sail to it. The two drawings attached may show this better:

Ok, I am following what you are saying, that is an idea, but does not address the issues getting the vang attached. Which is probably going to necessitate building a new mast side bracket.
Old 23-06-2024, 18:50   #15

Re-reading the thread and looking more closely at the photos makes me realize that I misunderstood the problem. If the problem is that the mast bracket slides up and down, (rather than the boom in the mast bracket) would you be able to stop the bracket from sliding by putting screws through it into the mast, or by making a hook or collar that would keep it in place?
The gap between the top of the boom end fitting and the mast bracket could easily be filled with a small rectangle of heavy-gauge stainless steel sheet, or a short tang, drilled for the vertical mounting pin, and then twisted 90 and drilled again for the tack shackle.

Tags
enc, rigging, sloop