Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 15:57   #1

Re-bedding ports -- Anyone recommendations in Maryland

Hi all,
I've been quoted a months salary to re bed 10 ports on my sailboat. I've never really trusted this outfit, I just don't have a lot of connections there. Does anyone recommend someone to do this work that would come to Annapolis? Price is a consideration, but also expertise!

Thanks again!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 16:18   #2

Re: Re-bedding ports -- Anyone recommendations in Maryland

It's tedious work, especially if the ports don't wanna come loose and out... but is there a reason (besides having no time) that you didn't want to do it yourself?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 17:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 25

Why are you having them re-bedded? Is it really needed?
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 04:17   #4

Hey Sail365,

Rebedding ports seems to be in the air this week! Zengirl is doing her own and MarcJSmith just finished a refit of his Moody where the ports all were refit*. Looks gorgeous (for pics, see Just Get a Survey thread started by ForeandAft https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ey-249549.html).

Here's Zengirl's thread with do-it-yourself responses... maybe your project could be broken down into segments to address just those few that are really crying out for immediate attention...?

What Tool Do I Use?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-249684.html

Good luck!
LittleWing77

*MarcJSmith is in Maryland, maybe PM him and see if he has a recommendation?
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 04:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hey Sail365,

Rebedding ports seems to be in the air this week! Zengirl is doing her own and MarcJSmith just finished a refit of his Moody where the ports all were refit. Looks gorgeous (for pics, see Just Get a Survey started by ForeandAft)

Here's Zengirl's thread with tips of how to do it yourself... maybe you could break the project down into segments and address just those few that are really crying out for immediate attention...?

I just did that. I replaced the headlining in my boat. I knew water was getting in somewhere. With the lining off it was obvious that one hatch, both Genoa car tracks and two windows were leaking. The tracks were easy to re-bed as was the hatch. On closer inspection of the windows I noticed that it was the window-to-hull joint which was leaking not the glass-to-frame joint. It was reasonably easy to get the frames out, clean them up and re-bed them. None of the other windows were leaking, so I left them alone knowing now that if they need to be done it’s no great trouble.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 06:01   #6

Boat: Moody 376

Sail,

it is a chore, and is does seem daunting, but its an easy task with proper prep and good weather. since you aren't changing anything like the sizes, it should be fairly straightforward. What kind of portlights, fixed or opening, framed or frameless.

whats the interior like, whats covering the fiberglass. what boat?
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 08:27   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Suggest you search the forums for your boat type (you didn't mention it here) and see what others have done in the past with your boat / types of ports.

I have a Catalina 30 which are FAMOUS for leaking windows (ports). A GLASS window in an aluminum frame with adhesive and puny little screws to fix it in place on the cabin bulkheads.

Catalina recommends 3M 4200 UV sealant/adhesive to bond the window in place. I removed/repaired/replaced one window using 4200 and it leaked just as bad as before. The issue (IMHO) is that as the window heats up/cools and expands/contracts from the sun, it breaks the adhesive bond between window frame and hull.

No adhesive bond=no sealing.

I plan to experiment replacing the 3M 4200 with high quality butyl tape (https://shop.marinehowto.com/products ), since butyl tape will stretch and "go with the flow" as the window frame expands and contracts.

As far as cost, everyone (qualified or not) working on boats appears to charge $75 - $125 per hour to do anything, so unless you have deep pockets, you need to perform (like I do) the majority of the laborious work yourself.

Another Catalina 30 owner a few slips up paid a guy $2K (yes, $2000!! ) to re-bed his windows and again, they were worse than before he started. Money down the drain...

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:03   #8

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the responses!

I'm 1900 miles away from the boat due to work -- I love doing my own work but it's not possible now which makes paying for it all the more painful!

They need rebedded because they are leaking.
Thanks!
Old 22-04-2021, 11:57   #9

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

How about a sunbrella boat cover or tarp? Until you get the time to do it yourself. The cover might save some brightwork labor(if you have any). I keep a full boat cover on my wooden boat. It saves a lot of leak possibilities and brightwotk maintenance. It’s a task removing and relaxing every time I sail(once a week) but it looks like you don’t get to sail yours that often.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:40   #10

a cover is an interesting idea. what do they cost to have made? Any resources? Thanks!
Old 25-04-2021, 10:59   #11

If you pay someone to do this tell them butyl tape ! It stays flexible and removable indefinately ! and it never leaks if done right, like all installations !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 08:37   #12

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

If you sew it yourself, the most expensive part is the Sunbrella or its competitor. Minis going on nine years. And I only single seamed it and hand- sewed the ties on. I use old plastic water bottles for weights that I sewed on with ties. I used an old Singer portable machine yhat I paid 15 bucks for at a garage sale. Use the best thread. Thread usually wears faster than the fabric. Buy fabric with the widest bias/width so you have less seams.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:33   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you decide to sew, you will re-coup the cost of a walking foot sewing machine on the first big project, like a mainsail boom bag.

Use Tenara or some other ptfe thread, it will last the life of Sunbrella (~20 yrs.). At present, imo, it is the best. The heavy weight dacron is only good for about 4 yrs. where exposed.

Sailrite have videos instructing how to do large boat projects. Awnings are at the easier end of the spectrum, along with weather cloths and cushion covers, and going all the way up to strange shapes, like windlass covers, boom bags, and dinghy chaps. My advice would be to start with something simple, like the Awning, and then, learn by doing, as you are drawn to other projects.

A side benefit is that you may find yourself volunteering to fix other people's canvaswork, for the practice, and for the good will generated; because it's a nice thing to do.

Ann
Old 30-04-2021, 14:51   #14

Boat: Sabre 402

In case it's a helpful comparison, we had all of our windows and portlights, and our two main deck hatches, removed and rebedded this offseason; the work order budgeted 56 hours for the labor, plus materials obviously. This is on a Sabre 402, obviously it would vary by boat.
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, Maryland, men, ports