Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 09:46   #16

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Rate That Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Ahhh the un-answerable question. (what is the sound of one hand clapping?)

Again it goes to what suits you. For me and my needs ranging from design-build quality-price-and customer service, new Catalina's are what is best for me and my needs/tastes/budget. Would I love an oyster, swan or other hell yes. Do I think swans are better then Catalina's? Again hell yes. Do I think with my budget and needs that a Catalina is the best for me? Absolutely!!!! There is just something about them I like and I like where there company has gone with their latest line of boats.

You on the other hand? who the hell knows what is best for you, but you.
Of course he will have to make the final decision but the question, as posed, isn't all that hard to answer because he is asking for our opinion and comments, not a factual statement about which of those boats is best.

He even gave us a couple of clues to help us make the opinion we express have a better chance of applying to him and the way he plans to use the boat. He mentions the Pacific NW, so boats that are more common to that area are probably a good idea. There's probably a good reason why a particular type boat is popular in a particular area and will likely be more available to purchase than one that is common somewhere else but is hardly ever found in that area. Also, he mentions sailing north to Alaska, so to me that means he needs something a little more rugged than you do sailing on a large inland lake. You're right that there's no absolute best boat but there IS a type boat that's best for the way you use yours and another best type boat for the way he intends to use his and there's nothing wrong with either of them.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Of course he will have to make the final decision but the question, as posed, isn't all that hard to answer because he is asking for our opinion and comments, not a factual statement about which of those boats is best.
True, each of us could give our opinion, according to our own criteria, of how those boats rank from best to worst. If your criteria is fairly in line with his then your ratings would be fairly useful to him. If your criteria is completely opposite of his then your ratings would be worse than useless to him--they would just point him in the wrong direction.

How will he know the difference?

He won't. Not until he does his own homework first. Not until he can come back and spell out at least some sort of vague criteria on which to base a rating.

No offense to the OP, but there is only one useful answer that we can give to these people who come on with the "I don't know anything, but tell me which boat to buy" kinds of questions: GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Any other answer only does them a disservice.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
True, each of us could give our opinion, according to our own criteria, of how those boats rank from best to worst. If your criteria is fairly in line with his then your ratings would be fairly useful to him. If your criteria is completely opposite of his then your ratings would be worse than useless to him--they would just point him in the wrong direction.

He won't. Not until he does his own homework first. Not until he can come back and spell out at least some sort of vague criteria on which to base a rating.

No offense to the OP, but there is only one useful answer that we can give to these people who come on with the "I don't know anything, but tell me which boat to buy" kinds of questions: GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Any other answer only does them a disservice.
He IS doing his homework... this is part of it! What should he do.. rely on Sail Mag's reviews of their advertisers boats?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 13:53   #19

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

If he already had a strong preference for any of those boats listed, I don't know why he'd be on here asking us for our preferences and comments. So, if I were him, I'd take a quick look at how people ordered the list, but I'd pay a LOT of attention to the comments they made justifying why. Then I'd compare those comments with others made, as well as my own biases, and see what seemed to make the most sense to me.

You took the time to post on this thread, but you didn't make a suggestion on even one of those boats or on another boat that you might be aware of that could possibly fit his needs. Of course none of us can be sure that our suggestions are appropriate for his exact needs, but don't you think it's worth a try? After all, he can ignore us all if he wants to, and go buy whatever boat suits his fancy if he wants to, so your suggestion isn't going to do him any harm and you might just suggest a boat that he wasn't aware of that would be great for him. Or he might tell you why he doesn't like your suggestion and that would cast more light on the sort of boat he does want, and that would be progress for him.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 14:11   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If the Catalina was going for a dollar, I'd buy it... if the Hunter was going for $40000, I'd still buy the Cat. The price variance is significant on the basket of boats you are considering so should come into the decision equation... barring that, I would certianly go with a heated wheelhouse for those waters if at all possible! Having worked many years commercially in the PNW, I know where my comfort level is! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 14:13   #21

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: RATE THAT BOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Here we go again - LOL...

......... I will go against my grain and say for the area you are talking about I would go "traditional" full/cutaway keel, heavy displacement boat. Probably a ketch or cutter rig. Preferably set up for storm sails with a natural (I.e. designed in) staysail setup.

The bendi-plastis will probably be OK but given a choice I'd go heavier and with multiple sail plan choices.
The Puget Sound sailing is typically in very light air. The trip to Alaska is typically a motor boat ride on the inside passage. It doesn't take a high latitude sailor. You'll have more sailing fun if you have a boat that is easy to sail in light winds.

As far build quality, the Sabre probably tops them all. So does the price.
Old 14-08-2014, 14:29   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

1. Delphia or Sabre (in alphabetical order)
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmm.................
  3. Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter, Jeanneau (in alphabetical order)

I do know almost nothing about Puget Sound, but I just expect that the boat tailored for Baltic may be quite good for the area.

Cheers

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 15:07   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamax. View Post
Please rate the following sailboat brands from best to worst:

Catalina
Hunter
Benateau
Delphia
Jeanneau
Sabre

Comments appreciated....oh! And say I wanted a nice 30-38 foot cruising sailboat for the Puget Sound and North to Alaska...what would you buy?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BTW - which models of these boats are you talking about?
Old 14-08-2014, 15:41   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamax. View Post
Please rate the following sailboat brands from best to worst:

Catalina
Hunter
Benateau
Delphia
Jeanneau
Sabre

Comments appreciated....oh! And say I wanted a nice 30-38 foot cruising sailboat for the Puget Sound and North to Alaska...what would you buy?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
When I purchased my boat, I looked at Bene, Cat, Hunter Sabre and Tartan.

Assuming same year, Sabre has a reputation and I have seen better quality in their boats. If you look at Sabre, include Tartan. IMHO if you are looking at older boats, the need to look at higher end boats goes up. They seem to age better.

God I know I'm gonna get ripped for this post....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:23   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Assuming same year, Sabre has a reputation and I have seen better quality in their boats. If you look at Sabre, include Tartan. IMHO if you are looking at older boats, the need to look at higher end boats goes up. They seem to age better.
+1
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 17:11   #26

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

ok no knowledge of any but own all, they all sank, i think the keels fell off because i cant see them, at 1 time or another but re-floated them and still pay for them in a marina but don't use them so i have knowledge of them but not practical knowledge using them , like the head room but haven't actually stepped on them, they are all live aboard because i am sure things are living on them ie all the spiders webs that are on them.. i think they may not be made well but dont know how they are built so will go with what my neighbor said because he owned none but is smart, they must be Water boats">blue water boats because they sit in blue water, but also brown at time so also brown water boats. label them the way you have them there or the other way works also. Oh yea and don't buy a swan there crap..
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 00:10   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Well this is disappoinnting. I thought we'd be arguing which boat is best by now but I see we are arguing about how to argue.

So I think everyone is arguing wrong. If you are going to argue, you have to provide Google links and you have to call the other guy an idiot. If you don't argue like this and only use your 40 years of experience as a yachtsman and circumnavigator then you are also an idiot.

It's 2014 for Pete's sake. There's an internet! You don't need to have any experience with anything to be an expert. Just a high speed connection...

"I came here for an argument and all I am getting is a contradiction!"
"No you're not..."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 00:23   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

That is arguably the best argument for not being argumentative I have heard. Yes it is.

Coops.
Old 15-08-2014, 00:40   #29

As another poster has already said the PNW is a light wind area and going up the coast to Alaska is usually a motorboat ride with a little sailing mixed in so any of your choices would do the job. In the spring/fall and winter it is bloody cool and those that have suggested something with a pilot house do so from experience but if you are sailing almost exclusively in the summer then you can get by with a simple dodger. Find something your wife/partner likes and give it a go, lots to choose from in that area.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 03:48   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well this is disappoinnting. I thought we'd be arguing which boat is best by now but I see we are arguing about how to argue.

So I think everyone is arguing wrong. If you are going to argue, you have to provide Google links and you have to call the other guy an idiot. If you don't argue like this and only use your 40 years of experience as a yachtsman and circumnavigator then you are also an idiot.

It's 2014 for Pete's sake. There's an internet! You don't need to have any experience with anything to be an expert. Just a high speed connection...

"I came here for an argument and all I am getting is a contradiction!"
"No you're not..."

I stopped reading when I realized there were no links or footnotes to support your position!