Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2019, 14:59   #1

Boat: Freedom 38
Ranger 23

So, one boat is just not enough. I'm looking at a Ranger 23. Not sure yet of the age, but it seems to have good bones, internal halyards, a metal toe rail so I'm guessing around 1976. How do I tell whether it's a tall rig or not? There's a lot that needs attention such as rusty standing rigging, rebuild of the outboard, old sails, and lots of cleaning. What are the things to look out for? I am going to dive it to check out the keel and rudder. It has been in the water for some time. It seems dry inside and it doesn't look like there's any mast compression. I have read through the forums and there's some, but not a whole lot on the Ranger 23, including on the Ranger Forum. What are the things to be particularly aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are not planning to do a survey on it. This would be a second boat for two friends and me. We each have our own, bigger boats, but want something smaller to go beer can racing on a moment's notice.

(And yes, I did make a vow once that I'd never own two sailboats
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 15:52   #2

Re: Ranger 23

Just took another closer look at the boat and the halyards are NOT internal. They're actually wrapped around the rigging and the main halyard is snagged on something at the front of the mast. It's all quite the mess. Did I mention this was a lien boat...?

Just by eye-balling it, I'd say it's not the tall mast version. I think the HIN says it's a 1975, but I might have that wrong.
Old 13-04-2019, 16:50   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Can't help you with specifics, Gamayun, but I well recall lusting after R-23s back in the days when I was racing my Catalina 22 in the SYRA bay series, and they were there as well. Nice looking, strong enough for SFB conditions, and a nicer fit-out than those very early Catalinas had.

Shouldn't be hard to sort out the running rigging issues and replacing the wire pretty inexpensive (in yachting terms)... all easily DIY stuff.

Hope it works out for you!

Jim
Old 13-04-2019, 17:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Can't help you with specifics, Gamayun, but I well recall lusting after R-23s back in the days when I was racing my Catalina 22 in the SYRA bay series, and they were there as well. Nice looking, strong enough for SFB conditions, and a nicer fit-out than those very early Catalinas had.

Shouldn't be hard to sort out the running rigging issues and replacing the wire pretty inexpensive (in yachting terms)... all easily DIY stuff.

Hope it works out for you!

Jim
Right? I keep hearing things like, "my father had 2 Rangers and loved them." It seemed Gary Mull knew what he was doing with the usual SF Bay conditions. Since my partners and I are new to spinnakering, I'm kinda thinking the short rig will be more kindly to us when we decide to throw caution to the wind and fly a kite. I'm curious about these assumptions. I've just been on too many boats that were having Awful Spinnaker Days and would like to avoid repeating these mistakes....
Old 14-04-2019, 00:12   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Right? I keep hearing things like, "my father had 2 Rangers and loved them." It seemed Gary Mull knew what he was doing with the usual SF Bay conditions. Since my partners and I are new to spinnakering, I'm kinda thinking the short rig will be more kindly to us when we decide to throw caution to the wind and fly a kite. I'm curious about these assumptions. I've just been on too many boats that were having Awful Spinnaker Days and would like to avoid repeating these mistakes....
Start a new thread on avoiding spinnaker follies whilst still enjoying the kite!

Start with easy days, not 25 and the 1-1/2 oz chute. Oh, yeah, and no penalty pole, either. Don't ask.

Ann
Old 14-04-2019, 05:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Start a new thread on avoiding spinnaker follies whilst still enjoying the kite!

Start with easy days, not 25 and the 1-1/2 oz chute. Oh, yeah, and no penalty pole, either. Don't ask.

Ann
Will do, Ann! I'm guessing there will be lots of "don't try it this way" stories. What's a penalty pole? I've never heard of that.

Tags
ranger