Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 10:41   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: questions about anchor chain

I say unfortunately. I suppose it was better than the alternative. I was manouvering with difficulty in the very close confines of a Mallorcan marina & caught my neighbours warp down to the groundline. Fortunately he had two out.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:44   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Many windlasses are available with a few different gypsy wheels to accommodate different anchor chains. And you can purchase those separately to run a different chain on your existing windlass. I just did that with my Quick windlass.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:56   #18

Boat: Newport 30 mk11

Hi everyone I thank you for your input. I hope everyone realizes that I only have a 30ft boat and it is a little on the light side. There have been some great suggestions. My main concern is about chain I've heard some of the galvanized chain doesn't last long. I want to make sure that the life expectancy of the chain would easily cover the 5 yr period. I also worry that the windlass might fail and i will have to pull up a bunch of chain by hand. Ive been told a manual windlass wouldnt be out of the question.
trapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 14:34   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Yes - I thought about that hazard but I have a lot of 1/4 inch orange polypropylene doing nothing in my garage (cant remember exactly why) which would do the job nicely. My rope cutter will (unfortunately, has in the past) cut easily through 18mm nylon (about 3/4 inch diameter) on tickover without blinking so I thought 1/4 inch shouldn't cause anyone any problems.
You have got a rope cutter, I assume ...??

I have a bunch of old nails and other hardware in my garage that I really don't want, why don't I just dump it on the freeway some night and let someone else run over it?
Doesn't everyone have puncture proof tires?

Naive and inconsiderate thinking. After having to dive on my boat after snagging your floating hazard, I should be real happy to try to cut through a big mess of line (oh, its only 1/4 inch, so no big deal).

I don't have a rope cutter on my prop shaft. I don't intend to burden my boat with such an item, because most people are considerate enough to not leave lengths of floating line around. But if I did, and I ran over your line, and the rope cutter actually worked as advertised, I don't know if the locals would appreciate a few hundred short pieces of orange rope fouling up their harbor.
Anyway an old fender would be a more visible marker than floating line.
Old 09-10-2020, 15:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
Hi everyone I thank you for your input. I hope everyone realizes that I only have a 30ft boat and it is a little on the light side. There have been some great suggestions. My main concern is about chain I've heard some of the galvanized chain doesn't last long. I want to make sure that the life expectancy of the chain would easily cover the 5 yr period. I also worry that the windlass might fail and i will have to pull up a bunch of chain by hand. Ive been told a manual windlass wouldnt be out of the question.

Accept only hot dip galvanized chain made in USA. Ours has lasted 20 years, no rust yet visible. Not as much usage though, as full time cruisers.

You need to have a plan to pull up the anchor by hand w/o a working windlass. Carry two chain hooks. Hook to chain at the bow, attach line leading aft to winch. After winching in that length of chain, use second hook at bow to hold chain while you run the first hook back to bow for the next haul.

By motoring forward you will almost always be able to bring in the loose chain by hand until you get over the anchor, unless the water is quite deep. 1/4 inch chain is only .63 lb per foot in air, and the water provides 1/8 partial buoyancy, 30 foot depth means only about 17lb to lift at a time but be careful to pile the chain away from your feet. It will take a while to bring in the scope. Once over anchor, secure chain, break out anchor using boat thrust. Then depending on depth and your strength (and your anchor is not all that heavy due to smallish boat size) you may have to use the above method but its only needed for the short distance equal to depth of water over anchor.
Old 09-10-2020, 15:26   #21

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

When the jackass in the 60' power cruiser who tossed out 2:1 scope and then went into town is dragging down on me in 45 kt wind thunderstorm and I have to cut and run without time to neatly tie a fender onto the rode I'd be OK using a floating line. And no I am not going to flake out my entire rode just to tie a float on the end of it each time I anchor. If I have the luxury of time to attach a float I would simply cut the polypro or floating line off the chain and let it go without the floating on the rode. The floating line is there for when you do not have the time to dig out something with enough buoyancy to support the $3000 worth of ground tackle.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 22:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
When the jackass in the 60' power cruiser who tossed out 2:1 scope and then went into town is dragging down on me in 45 kt wind thunderstorm and I have to cut and run without time to neatly tie a fender onto the rode I'd be OK using a floating line. And no I am not going to flake out my entire rode just to tie a float on the end of it each time I anchor. If I have the luxury of time to attach a float I would simply cut the polypro or floating line off the chain and let it go without the floating on the rode. The floating line is there for when you do not have the time to dig out something with enough buoyancy to support the $3000 worth of ground tackle.

Well you don't try to support the chain - use a light line longer than the depth, between the anchor chain and the fender. The chain, when released, lies on the bottom and doesn't weigh on the float. But rethinking this issue:

Yes it will take some time to find a light line, grab a fender and tie it onto the chain. I can see some merit in the floating line permanently attached to end of the chain, but would try to get back to retrieve it ASAP. I'd certainly stay in the area to warn everyone until I could do that.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:50   #23

Boat: Bavaria37

I like the idea of combo chain/rope rode , because it has given me a fast method of getting the boat afloat after grounding. I.e. easier to take the heavy bit (anchor plus chain) upwind in the dinghy, then sit on the bow and pull on the rope like buggery till the chain is in the gypsy, then use windlass/motor to drive the boat windward and thence off the sandbar. Regards, Rob
Glasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:55   #24

Boat: Bavaria37

* or whichever direction the deep water is. Rob
Glasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:50   #25

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
You may well wind up with 5/16" G43 chain. Shop your windlass first. Your windlass manufacturer will specify what size and brand rope to use. I had a Lofrans that would only work well on two manufacturers brait rope. Handled chain fine but winding in the splice or transition from rope to chain was lousy unless a specific rode was used. More so when the rope is new.

If you have the room get a windlass that has both a gypsy and a capstan so you can power winch up the mast and/or help kedge off.

ACCO and Peerless brands are both well made, well galvanized chains and should last 5 years if taken care of.

I cruised years on a 32' boat with 120' of 5/16" G43 chain and 200' 9/16" brait. 95% of the time only the chain hit the water but it depends where you cruise. If you're in a protected anchorage in decent weather 3:1 or 5:1 is plenty scope for a chain rode. Most anchorages I was I could anchor in less than 20' depth. YMMV.

I single hand and had windlass controls in cockpit (corded remote) and at the windlass. Now I have a wireless fob. So much easier than running back and forth when dropping the hook in a tight anchorage on a windy day.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05   #26

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Well you don't try to support the chain - use a light line longer than the depth, between the anchor chain and the fender. The chain, when released, lies on the bottom and doesn't weigh on the float. But rethinking this issue:

Yes it will take some time to find a light line, grab a fender and tie it onto the chain. I can see some merit in the floating line permanently attached to end of the chain, but would try to get back to retrieve it ASAP. I'd certainly stay in the area to warn everyone until I could do that.
"Use a light line longer than the depth". This would mean changing the line length every time you anchor. Or just using a very long length... Like 50 feet, which in shallow anchorages would be a menace.

Stay in the area to warn everyone until you're about to retrieve is problematic. Many situations you'd be required to cut rode and move/ run out would not be conducive to hanging around. Also, how would you communicate exact location of a small floating rope... At night? In a blow when everybody is dealing with their own issues, etc. How would we communicate? Vhf? If VHF how do you point out the precise location? Do you stand on deck and just yell and point? Etc.

I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just wargaming this approach in the context of my brief experience. If there are ways to navigate these challenges I'm all ears. But I suspect this may be one of those drills that sounds good but upon execution falls apart.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 13:12   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I bought some 1/4" Lacede US made chain. It's a longer link and works well on a manual windlass designed for 8mm din 766. 5/16" Acco high test also work on the gypsy, Simpson Lawrence Anchorman.

Galvanizing is pretty good on it, but a short time on some coral unfortunately chafes it up pretty quickly. Obviously, try to avoid coral. But not always possible especially when anchoring late in the afternoon after a long passage!

135' ships in a 5 gallon bucket at about 88 lbs. Was sorta hard to find a supplier. Lacede will tell you it will absolutely not fit ANY windlass. It possible on a high speed electric windlass it would skip. But for a weight sensitive boat, it's a great fit.
Old 11-10-2020, 13:26   #28

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
questions about anchor chain

I have a 5/16” HT and a 3/8” HT gypsy for my windlass...
Who knows when you’ll need chain, where you will be and what will be available.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:29   #29

One thing to watch out for is Chinese chain. I purchased a pail of new galvanised chain for my 65ft work boat after carefully measuring the old chain and getting the chandler to confirm the size. The chain kept jamming in the windlass and retrieving it became a half hour job, especially after it tore off the chain guide. Long story short, it was not the incorrect chain, it was CHINESE chain. We did extensive measuring and the links with gal were wildly inconsistent in length which was causing it to jam. I demanded the chandler take back his rubbish and supply me top quality PWB chain (quality Australian supplier). It was only marginally more expensive (which really riled me - I was not given the choice) and worked instantly as it should and no problems since.
Moral of the story - Ensure you are not given Chinese chain.
RexSnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 17:59   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSnr View Post
One thing to watch out for is Chinese chain. I purchased a pail of new galvanised chain for my 65ft work boat after carefully measuring the old chain and getting the chandler to confirm the size. The chain kept jamming in the windlass and retrieving it became a half hour job, especially after it tore off the chain guide. Long story short, it was not the incorrect chain, it was CHINESE chain. We did extensive measuring and the links with gal were wildly inconsistent in length which was causing it to jam. I demanded the chandler take back his rubbish and supply me top quality PWB chain (quality Australian supplier). It was only marginally more expensive (which really riled me - I was not given the choice) and worked instantly as it should and no problems since.
Moral of the story - Ensure you are not given Chinese chain.
Like from anywhere there is good Chinese chain and bad Chinese chain.

Titan chain from Canada Metal Pacific is from China. Excellent chain. Better welds and galvanizing than Peerless/Acco and less expensive. Very consistent and perfect sizing.

Canada Metal Pacific produces it in their own factories. They know galvanizing well - they also own Martyr, the largest anode manufacturer in the world. They also own Rocna.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor