Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 14:08   #1

Questions about a 1972 Pearson 36

Im a novice to the sailing world. I grew up in South Florida with one foot in the ocean in some sort or another my entire life. I decided to go green and buy a Live-aboard Sailboat.
The 1972 Pearson 36 really caught my eye but the ones Ive seen are expensive (they seem over-priced when considering other boats around that caliber).
What is a fair price for such a boat in decent to good condition?
Is 30-45k about right?

Is there possibly a website to check Sailboat price, sorta like Bluebook for cars?

Can someone please throw me a few ideas for which boats I should be looking for? I dont want something massive as my first boat. Max is 37 feet or there abouts.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Projectfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:12   #2

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Questions about a 1972 Pearson 36

May want to take a look at Endeavor 37 or a Morgan Out Island 33. Not fabulous sailors, but solidly built. Most likely anything in that vintage about ready for a serious refit. If you can do the work, it makes sense as long as you’re not trying to turn a buck on it.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:25   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfreedom View Post
Im a novice to the sailing world. I grew up in South Florida with one foot in the ocean in some sort or another my entire life. I decided to go green and buy a Live-aboard Sailboat.
The 1972 Pearson 36 really caught my eye but the ones Ive seen are expensive (they seem over-priced when considering other boats around that caliber).
What is a fair price for such a boat in decent to good condition?
Is 30-45k about right?

Is there possibly a website to check Sailboat price, sorta like Bluebook for cars?

Can someone please throw me a few ideas for which boats I should be looking for? I dont want something massive as my first boat. Max is 37 feet or there abouts.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

A '72 P36 should be cheaper than that. Looked quickly and you could get a 36-2 ~'90 in good shape for that price range. Recently saw a late 70s P35 for $4k in the mid Atlantic.
If you are just going to live aboard, would suggest looking for a house boat for the room, then buy a small boat to sail. Much easier than trying to put your "stuff" away before you go sailing and you will probably go sailing more often.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
May want to take a look at Endeavor 37 or a Morgan Out Island 33. Not fabulous sailors, but solidly built. Most likely anything in that vintage about ready for a serious refit. If you can do the work, it makes sense as long as you’re not trying to turn a buck on it.
My plan is to use my first 5 years working through the growing pains of Sailboat, Liveaboard life as I keep working and use my vacation time to sail to places in the Caribbean sea. After that, I plan to buy a newer, bigger boat and start sailing the world (working half the year and sailing the other half).

So she needs to be fully Bluewater capable!
Old 02-12-2020, 14:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
A '72 P36 should be cheaper than that. Looked quickly and you could get a 36-2 ~'90 in good shape for that price range. Recently saw a late 70s P35 for $4k in the mid Atlantic.
If you are just going to live aboard, would suggest looking for a house boat for the room, then buy a small boat to sail. Much easier than trying to put your "stuff" away before you go sailing and you will probably go sailing more often.
Well, I have time. Im a Chef and we are entering peak season so, I am locked up until June (which luckily is the same time my apartments year lease is up). Time is certainly on my side. I dont plan to buy until April at the earliest as I work 6 days as a salary employee during peak season. I am certainly up to travel around the east coast for a boat. As long as I can sail it back within a few days time and I dont know how to sail yet (hoping to remedy that in the meantime) so the journey back to Florida cant be to crazy, like crossing the Atlantic, etc.
Old 02-12-2020, 15:11   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfreedom View Post
Well, I have time. Im a Chef and we are entering peak season so, I am locked up until June (which luckily is the same time my apartments year lease is up). Time is certainly on my side. I dont plan to buy until April at the earliest as I work 6 days as a salary employee during peak season. I am certainly up to travel around the east coast for a boat. As long as I can sail it back within a few days time and I dont know how to sail yet (hoping to remedy that in the meantime) so the journey back to Florida cant be to crazy, like crossing the Atlantic, etc.
Ok, good info. So a blue water boat isn't about size, it's more capability/strength of the boat (and your ability to sail it). Some smaller boats are great Water boats">blue water boats. Here's a link to boats <32' that could work. There are many other list of blue water boats, just do a search.

If you do travel to get a boat, think local. If you motor or sail during the day only (~10hr), you may make 50nm. If you have a crew and can sail all night you may get 100-150nm/24hr. Just depends on how many days you have off.

Learning to sail on a small boat is a good start and can sharpen your sailing skills. Knowing how to sail better = less dependence on the motor.

edit: another list for the consider it pile. http://web.archive.org/web/201906020...g/about/index/
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 15:34   #7

The reason I was looking at the Pearson 36 is mainly because I am 6'2" and reportedly the head room is 6'4".
Old 02-12-2020, 15:47   #8

In New England in off season the asking price for early 70s 36' would be in the $10K to $25K range, the difference being A4 gas vs diesel, sails condition, electronics age, etc. One with A4 and with beat up sails and pre-2000 electronics would not generate any interest above $5K. We're talking about a 50 year old 4 design generations ago boat which may need just in inventory and hardware a $30K to $50K upgrade. When you can get "ready to sail" 90s 36' for that price or less.

Me personally if I were a new sailor with short budget I would get such a boat for $10K or less, get some used sails online, sailed her 3-4 seasons as is until I figure out what I want to do next (or until the sails rip and become unrepairable) and sell her for $5K or less or donate to charity. That would still be a better deal than paying sailing club membership for those seasons.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

$35-40k for a Pearson that old is way overpriced unless it has been completely and totally overhauled including, new or very recent engine, good sails, new or recent rigging, interior really clean, no significant core damage in the deck, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:21   #10

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

The early 70's Pearson 36 has a more modern hull design than most other boats of that era and size. Also, Sailing Uma has one, which may have affected their desirability. There isn't really any resource like a bluebook or anything. The problem is that boat sales are so low (compared to cars) that there isn't the data to create such a resource. If you can find one for a price that's acceptable to you, I think the 70's Pearson 36 is a great boat. It's solidly built, and has a good hull design that sails well. It may not be the best choice for the Bahamas or South Florida though, because it has a relatively deep draft.

There is one in New York listed at 30k and one in Maine for 38.5k. But remember, these are list prices, so it's possible you can get it much lower. The one in New York has the Atomic 4 gasoline engine and the one in Maine has a Yanmar diesel and upgraded tankage, well worth the price difference IMO. The guy in Maine also seems eager to see offers, since he has already bought his next boat (according to the listing). You might be able to get a low offer accepted if you can take the responsibility off his hands for the winter.

Since you have a while till you'll probably buy, I'd advise immersing yourself in online research and youtube sailing channel videos centered around folks who have refit an old blue water boat from the 70's. And I would also take some sailing lessons before you decide to sail a boat down the coast from New England to Florida.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
There isn't really any resource like a bluebook or anything.

Every boat listed on Yacht World has the actual sales data listed on their sister site soldboats.com. ..... when listed, when sold, listed price, actual sold price and much more including all original listing photos and specs.
It goes back for decades.
Old 02-12-2020, 16:36   #12

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Don't you have to be a credentialed marine surveyor to get access to that?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:40   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Don't you have to be a credentialed marine surveyor to get access to that?
Anyone in the business can get access to it. it costs me around $1000/yr in our Canadian dollarettes. Your surveyor or any broker who is a Yacht World member can pull it up for you.
Old 02-12-2020, 16:53   #14

A huge thanks to everyone that has posted so far. This is way better info than I couldve hope for.

@Island Life, is April a Good time to shop or should I wait for May?
Old 02-12-2020, 18:35   #15

Boat: Sabre 402

The Pearson 36 is quite roomy. The headroom was good for me ( 6'1") even in the forward cabin on the one I saw. The skeg-mounted rudder provides decent tracking downwind and the deep keel makes upwind work effective. Pilot berths are great for sleeping while at sea: out of the way of the rest of the crew and super-comfortable. Engine access under the companionway can be awkward, but is obviously doable. Good stowage for long-haul trips and a good-looking boat to point back to once you get there.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson