Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 04:21   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: questioning my choice of boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooksFraming View Post
Adelie I was wondering about that my self... If posible hydrovane or windvane? Which one would be better? I have not experienced either>

Thanks for the reply

We've got a caphorn vane beneath our mizzen. It won't steer the boat to weather, the wash from the mizzen sail just lays the bane over. But the mizzen also mounts a wind generator. When going to weather the wind gen pumps out more power than we use.
Off the wind the vane steers brilliantly! One does need to be careful to align and lay over the vane when tacking or gybing though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:08   #17

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We've got a caphorn vane beneath our mizzen. It won't steer the boat to weather, the wash from the mizzen sail just lays the bane over. But the mizzen also mounts a wind generator. When going to weather the wind gen pumps out more power than we use.
Off the wind the vane steers brilliantly! One does need to be careful to align and lay over the vane when tacking or gybing though.
Thanks Seamonkey
You would you like to post a picture of that? I am a real visual person.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I have been looking at the Block Island 40's yawl
here is the problem;
In 2018 I intend to singlehanded (maybe one/two other crew members) to cruise off shore and blue water.
East coat of US, UVI, Gulf Mexico, Pacific, Hawaii, Aust.

I wondering how to fit an extra fuel tank, watermaker, at least solar or wind generator. would

I have also considered a windvane of hydrovane to supplement the auto pilot.

After climbing around a couple.
I am wondering if there may not be enough room for everything needed.
Along with maybe 2-3 weeks provisions and repair parts.
Am I asking to much of the Block 40?

Any thoughts insight would be greatly appreciated.
That's a very pretty boat, but with that 29' waterline and small tankage, it would not be my choice for long-distance cruising.

But as others have said, you will certainly be able to jam in necessary parts and supplies. It wasn't so long ago that 40' was considered a BIG boat. Our previous boat was a Pearson 365, a similar boat to the Block Island, with similar waterline (30'). There's never enough space (there's not enough on my present 54-footer either, especially deck storage), but the Pearson could hold enough to go anywhere with 2 or 3 people. No room for a generator, but we had a large solar array and were not short of power. We had much better tankage, however, with 150 gallons of water and 60 gallons of fuel.

The main drawback of the Pearson for long distance cruising was she was S L O W. The stubby rig (50' like the Block Island), longish keel, and short (30') waterline meant she sailed like a bathtub. The Block Island with that full keel, even shorter waterline, and barn door rudder, will be even tubbier. I personally would want something fleeter, but of course tastes vary and YMMV. When I have hundreds or thousands of miles to cover, I don't like bobbing around out there at 4 or 5 knots, especially when I'm single handed.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
questioning my choice of boats

Quote:
Thanks Seamonkey
You would you like to post a picture of that? I am a real visual person.

Once I dredge up a photo of it I will. You can check my profile picture album, I may have a photo of us in there with the windvane rigged but not steering.

Here's a link to the yahoo group with the vane steering.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...#zax/353912679

Or just the photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	148990
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:31   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
roverhi Very good points.

Tanks are 46gal fiberglass fuel and 80gal stainless steel water.
50 hp Yanmar
ST 6002 Autopilot
Balmar 100 AMP alternator

I have not yet done a power audit on these.
SeaFrost Engine Driven Refrigeration System
Espar D5 Forced Hot Air Heating System
Raymarine E-80 GPS / Chartplotter / Radar
Icom 710 SSB Radio

thank you for the reply it helps
Seems like lots of tankage assuming conservative use. You will never use the Espar where you are going (aka me how I know). As you know, your big energy hogs are the refrigeration and the autopilot. If you go with a vane you will save a huge amount of power. If you can get wind or solar going it would look after the refrigeration needs. We have both, and that is ideal but if you can fit only one go with the solar. You can mount solar panels to the lifelines if you can't find anywhere else for them to go.

We have a Monitor vane and it has been wonderful, steering more than 95% of the time. No direct experience with a Hydrovane, I am sure it would also work, but they are more difficult to mount. Since the unit actually steers the boat you need full access to the inside of the transom and a strong (or reinforced) transform.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:46   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Seems like lots of tankage assuming conservative use. You will never use the Espar where you are going (aka me how I know). As you know, your big energy hogs are the refrigeration and the autopilot. If you go with a vane you will save a huge amount of power. If you can get wind or solar going it would look after the refrigeration needs. We have both, and that is ideal but if you can fit only one go with the solar. You can mount solar panels to the lifelines if you can't find anywhere else for them to go.

We have a Monitor vane and it has been wonderful, steering more than 95% of the time. No direct experience with a Hydrovane, I am sure it would also work, but they are more difficult to mount. Since the unit actually steers the boat you need full access to the inside of the transom and a strong (or reinforced) transform.
His refrigeration does not use electrical power -- it's an engine driven/holding plate system.

I think he'll be fine with power, even with an electrical pilot.

We had no problems on our old boat with about 800 watts (nominal) of solar.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Block Island is a beautiful boat!

I think you will be able to fit whatever you need for the trip. A small watermaker will be a major plus on the Pacific legs. We sailed at one gallon of water a day between the two of us. How big are your water tanks now?

Do not overworry fuel tankage. A sailing boat if not in the hurry does not need heaps of fuel to get from A to B. If you have ample solar power, the alternator is not much needed for power. Unless you have big fridge/freezers that id.

Maybe you could keep posting here on the mods and upgrades you are doing. Then other people who chose similar boats have a reference frame for their own projects.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29   #23

Boat: 1991 Huntingford custom SeaMaid 45’ ketch

Quote:
Phoenix-Marie Nice trip... I will be doing a Panama to Hilo back up to Washington to Panama to Gulf Mexico

Do you have solar or wind generator?

Our 1967 Ohlson 41 is similar CCA era design to yours, and yes, very small volume with long overhangs. Ours is a sloop however. And our keel may be more cutaway, not sure. We have solar panels on our hardtop dodger (which we added) and our cockpit rails, and plan to add to Bimini as well. Tankage is adequate. We saved some room by putting in composting toilet to get rid of stinky waste tank. We use our forepeak as focsle instead of sleeping, so that gives more storage and work area. We find her an excellent sea boat and quick despite her 13 tons. Points well, too. CCA designs are not popular now but they are sea-sensible boats.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

The main drawback of the Pearson for long distance cruising was she was S L O W. The stubby rig (50' like the Block Island), longish keel, and short (30') waterline meant she sailed like a bathtub. The Block Island with that full keel, even shorter waterline, and barn door rudder, will be even tubbier. I personally would want something fleeter, but of course tastes vary and YMMV. When I have hundreds or thousands of miles to cover, I don't like bobbing around out there at 4 or 5 knots, especially when I'm single handed.
It may not win races but off the wind with the board up? I bet I could get her going more than 5 knots!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:49   #25

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

There seems to be more satisfaction with sun power than wind power in my experience. Fewer moving parts too. Flex panels are not enjoying much prestige for longevity. I plan on fixed panels myself. So cheap these days. Golf cart batteries make good solar batteries.
40' seems a good size for your goals. Best wishes and fair winds.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:33   #26

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

couple of quick comments.

first I think your putting the cart before the horse as from reading the first post you dont own the boat yet.

One bit of advice i give everyone is once you buy the boat, go sail the thing, dont worry about upgrades and adding things until you have some time using the boat. Your preception for needs and wants 6 months after sailing/ living on it will be very different than at purchase.

Everything is a compromise
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 19:28   #27

It is a good looking design..

Dockhead
[quote/]The main drawback of the Pearson for long distance cruising was she was S L O W. The stubby rig (50' like the Block Island), longish keel, and short (30') waterline meant she sailed like a bathtub. The Block Island with that full keel, even shorter waterline, and barn door rudder, will be even tubbier.[quote/]

The Pearson is handicaped at 210 compared to the BI40 at 162 PHRF New England Handicaping. She is a little faster.
But I do get what you are saying. I never was a good fair weather sailor even on lake Erie. I went out when most hugged the docks... You learn more in high winds than breezes.
Thanks for reassuring me about room for provisions and gear.
Old 02-06-2017, 19:32   #28

seaMonkey
Thank you so much. It does look possble then I guess I would have to do the exact measurement to make sure.
Nice photo was that taken by someone who you left adrift LOL
Old 02-06-2017, 19:37   #29

Ainia thank you for the insight. I have been doing the numbers on solar but do not have it down yet. I will look at the Monitor vanes.
Sorry to see your selling... Upgrading or landlocking?
Old 02-06-2017, 19:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Block Island is a beautiful boat!

I think you will be able to fit whatever you need for the trip. A small watermaker will be a major plus on the Pacific legs. We sailed at one gallon of water a day between the two of us. How big are your water tanks now?

Do not overworry fuel tankage. A sailing boat if not in the hurry does not need heaps of fuel to get from A to B. If you have ample solar power, the alternator is not much needed for power. Unless you have big fridge/freezers that id.

Maybe you could keep posting here on the mods and upgrades you are doing. Then other people who chose similar boats have a reference frame for their own projects.

b.
barnakiel that is really helpful.
I was wondering about the how much fuel I would probabaly use just keeping the batteries charged. 800 watts is that a lot of panels?
What would be the smallest watermaker you would go with?

Thank you for the info...

Tags
boat